Option-Drag-? Copy while Duplicating Soundbite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Here's one I should know, but maybe it's not possible to work the way I want.

If you option-drag a soundbite, it makes a copy. But it does not DUPLICATE the soundbite. So if you then edit the copy soundbite (e.g., Bite Gain), it changes both the original and the copy. I always have to do the extra step of "Duplicate Soundbite" from the menu.

Is there a way to add a second modifier while option dragging so that it would both copy and duplicate in one step? Option+Command doesn't work. Option+Control doesn't work. Option+Shift doesn't work....

Anyone?

Thx,
Babz
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you hit the option key when you start the edge edit it will create a new soundbite. There is (was) a preference to reverse that so edge edit will always create a new soundbite and the option key will change all copies at the same time.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Re: Option-Drag-? Copy while Duplicating Soundbite?

Post by bayswater »

This does it for edge edits but I don't know if it will work for other edit operations or if there are equivalent settings for other edits. I don't have DP available right now.

"The Edge Edit Copy command in the Sequence Editor mini-menu allows you to choose whether you want to modify the original soundbite you are dragging or preserve the original by making a copy of it when you drag." P353
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz

Post by Babz »

Thanks for the replies, but I am not asking about edge editing. Edge editing won't help. I don't want to change the length of the file. I want to be able to option-drag to copy a soundbite and have it actually make a duplicate copy.

Maybe it's not possible? Maybe my method of the extra step of "Duplicate Soundbite" is the only way. I'm am doing this a LOT in the current project and eliminating the extra step would really help. Maybe this should become a feature request?

Thx,
Babz
frankf

Post by frankf »

What about selecting the 2d SB and Merging it? Does that work? Not in front of DP now. Still 2 steps though.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Merge would do it but it still requires the extra step. New soundbite from selection can work too.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Also, bounce to disk and add to sequence.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Also, bounce to disk and add to sequence.
If you bounce one track, no plugins, this is VERY fast.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Yes, especially using the project format.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

My workaround has been edge-edit-copy for long now.
A quick short edit at soundbite end does the trick.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

daniel.sneed wrote:My workaround has been edge-edit-copy for long now.
A quick short edit at soundbite end does the trick.
That works, but sometimes you just want an identical copy to place in a parallel track. I wish there were a modifier key that you could add, such as OPTION-SHIFT, which would duplicate instead of alias.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I have Duplicate Soundbite set to option-D. So I option-drag the soundbite, then with the option key still held down simply hit D. Not what you're looking for, I know, but it's very fast. (little finger of left hand on option, index or middle finger for D, right hand on mouse)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
waxman

Post by waxman »

This is barbaric. But I have gotten in the habit of hitting the c key when in the sequence window and using the scissors to cut off a little piece of the options dragged sb and then delete it. 2 mouse clicks. It's just quick. I'm already right there.

It's a rite of passage for newborn boys. lol
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Phil O wrote:I have Duplicate Soundbite set to option-D. So I option-drag the soundbite, then with the option key still held down simply hit D. Not what you're looking for, I know, but it's very fast. (little finger of left hand on option, index or middle finger for D, right hand on mouse)

Phil
That seems very close to what I've been doing, except I use Command-Control-D for Duplicate Soundbite. Option-D sounds even better, but I'll have to look into what that does in the default keybindings. I like to avoid redefining default commands if I can.

Anyway, it seems something like what I've been doing is the best solution for now. I was thinking there was a way, some key combination I once knew but forgot, but I guess I was thinking of edge editing commands.

Best,
Babz
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

Ha, waxman, that's exactly what I do!

...clip the soundbite, I mean, not the bris thing.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1