Define "Any" in MIDI Input, for use with local pipe MIDI tra

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Define "Any" in MIDI Input, for use with local pipe MIDI tra

Post by rockman413 »

Hi !
I have MIDI local-pipe on my system, it goes from DP as output to another APP as input. When I hit a key in a track, it causes problem, because that MIDI note goes out of DP and enter another APP (which is good), But it also get back into this track as this track's input is set to "Any".
Is there a way we can filter out this channel/port or define the "ANY".
I understand that we can enter multi record mode thus we can choose MIDI inputs instead of "any", but when I use multi record mode, when switch from one track to another track I have click 2 mouse clicks(1 to deactive rec,2nd to active rec) , using non-multirecord mode I only have to clikc 1 time.
Anyone has an idea of optimize this workflow?

Thanks!
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
Killahurts

Re: Define "Any" in MIDI Input, for use with local pipe MIDI

Post by Killahurts »

Once you have a track record enabled, you can use the up and down arrow keys to record enable the previous track or next track, respectively. It takes the track it was on out of record enable, even in multi-record mode.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Killahurts wrote:Once you have a track record enabled, you can use the up and down arrow keys to record enable the previous track or next track, respectively. It takes the track it was on out of record enable, even in multi-record mode.
I got the point, it's helpful, but I still wonder if I can define "any", as some people like me may connect our keyboard controller via MIDI+USB, MIDI for the MIDI signal , USB for a better power supply. However, if we can't define any, we'll get 2 MIDI notes recorded per touch keyboard.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Any time you use MIDI local, and you're recording tracks directly from your synth as well as instruments controlled by non-local in DP, you'll get two tracks, and sometimes they aren't aligned. (or maybe I'm thinking of how things were in 2001) Anyway, I always turn Local Off.

There's no way I can think of offhand to define ANY so that you can exclude the local track, but I haven't really sat down and thought about it. Maybe I'm not looking at all the options, just doing it in my mind. If I think of it later when I'm working, I'll see if there is anything I've overlooked.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:Any time you use MIDI local, and you're recording tracks directly from your synth as well as instruments controlled by non-local in DP, you'll get two tracks, and sometimes they aren't aligned. (or maybe I'm thinking of how things were in 2001) Anyway, I always turn Local Off.

There's no way I can think of offhand to define ANY so that you can exclude the local track, but I haven't really sat down and thought about it. Maybe I'm not looking at all the options, just doing it in my mind. If I think of it later when I'm working, I'll see if there is anything I've overlooked.

Shooshie
What do you mean Local and where did you turn it off?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Local on/off is a MIDI setting on pretty much any synthesizer/sampler keyboard. Each will have a different way of doing it, depending on the make and model of the hardware. It's usually in an area called Setup, Master, or Utility. It may be under MIDI, since it's a MIDI setting. Local Off turns the keyboard into a dumb controller, just sending messages to the instruments connected to it, either hardware units in the rack or VIs in your computer. Local On plays sounds from the synth banks and patches on your MIDI keyboard. "Local Only" will turn off MIDI Out. (Some keyboards may not have Local Only)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|