One key to open/Hide all plug-ins?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

One key to open/Hide all plug-ins?

Post by rockman413 »

One key to open/Hide all instrument or effects plug-ins, or a selected track's instrument plugins? Can we set it as a shortcuts?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
Shooshie

Re: One key to open/Hide all plug-ins?

Post by Shooshie »

Using Spaces, you can just leave them open. Unless, of course, you want them to pre-render. There's a key for adding a plugin, but I don't know of one to open all plugins on a track.

Allow me to hook you up with a secret "cheat sheet" for power users: print out the Commands Window. Be sure that all sections are open (possibly excepting the fonts options, which can go on for pages) and print out the whole thing. It can take upward of 28 pages, give or take a few. Most of my workflows and "secrets" come from perusing the Commands Window pages, which I also have printed as a PDF file, and I keep both the paper version and the PDF version handy at all times. I put together strings of commands and sometimes reprogram the keyboard shortcuts so that they are more sequential to use. When I change a shortcut or add one, I pencil it in on the paper version until I get enough to justify printing it again.

At one time I even had index tabs on all the sections.
There are menu items that do not appear in this list, but between the menus and the commands, you've got pretty much the whole list of what you can tell DP to do. However, by putting them together in unique sequences, or by using sub-commands that you find in windows like the Search Window or Split Notes window, you can do amazing things that aren't documents in any way.

Just a word to the wise.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

rockman413 wrote:One key to open/Hide all instrument or effects plug-ins, or a selected track's instrument plugins? Can we set it as a shortcuts?
Why would you want to do this?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Robert Randolph wrote:
rockman413 wrote:One key to open/Hide all instrument or effects plug-ins, or a selected track's instrument plugins? Can we set it as a shortcuts?
I wonder this about many of these questions - how to do everything by just one click seems to be the common thread.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Robert Randolph

Guitar Gaz wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
I wonder this about many of these questions - how to do everything by just one click seems to be the common thread.
Why wouldn't you want to do as many things as possible in one click? Seems totally reasonable to me.

I'm just curious if maybe there's some other way to achieve the end result he's after here.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:Using Spaces, you can just leave them open. Unless, of course, you want them to pre-render. There's a key for adding a plugin, but I don't know of one to open all plugins on a track.

Allow me to hook you up with a secret "cheat sheet" for power users: print out the Commands Window. Be sure that all sections are open (possibly excepting the fonts options, which can go on for pages) and print out the whole thing. It can take upward of 28 pages, give or take a few. Most of my workflows and "secrets" come from perusing the Commands Window pages, which I also have printed as a PDF file, and I keep both the paper version and the PDF version handy at all times. I put together strings of commands and sometimes reprogram the keyboard shortcuts so that they are more sequential to use. When I change a shortcut or add one, I pencil it in on the paper version until I get enough to justify printing it again.

At one time I even had index tabs on all the sections.
There are menu items that do not appear in this list, but between the menus and the commands, you've got pretty much the whole list of what you can tell DP to do. However, by putting them together in unique sequences, or by using sub-commands that you find in windows like the Search Window or Split Notes window, you can do amazing things that aren't documents in any way.

Just a word to the wise.

Shooshie
Spaces is a great way to use, but not handy at all when you useDP in fullscreen mode.

Can we open effects window in the cosolidate window?
Robert Randolph

rockman413 wrote: Can we open effects window in the cosolidate window?
No, but you can use the on-top functionality in DP9 to permanently put a plugin in a place on the screen.

And Spaces is specifically useful if you use DP in fullscreen mode, that's how Spaces was made to work. I don't think you understand Shooshie's suggestion fully.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Robert Randolph wrote:
rockman413 wrote: Can we open effects window in the cosolidate window?
No, but you can use the on-top functionality in DP9 to permanently put a plugin in a place on the screen.

And Spaces is specifically useful if you use DP in fullscreen mode, that's how Spaces was made to work. I don't think you understand Shooshie's suggestion fully.
Maybe. If I use DP in full screen, then i can't drag the effects window to another Space, it always stays in the same space as the main DP interface
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There's full screen and fullscreen. Spaces works with your windows sized to the full screen. DP has a "fullscreen" mode, but it's very limiting. Why would you want to do that? Spaces opens you up to all kinds of possibilities. Fullscreen limits you to one.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:There's full screen and fullscreen. Spaces works with your windows sized to the full screen. DP has a "fullscreen" mode, but it's very limiting. Why would you want to do that? Spaces opens you up to all kinds of possibilities. Fullscreen limits you to one.

Shooshie
GOt it, you mean drag the window to full of screen. Fullscreen saves a little bit more space without the top menus
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:There's full screen and fullscreen. Spaces works with your windows sized to the full screen. DP has a "fullscreen" mode, but it's very limiting. Why would you want to do that? Spaces opens you up to all kinds of possibilities. Fullscreen limits you to one.

Shooshie
That top menu does not matter a lot, I've set my screen to work this way, thanks Shooshie!