MOTU posted public beta drivers for El Capitan

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU posted public beta drivers for El Capitan

Post by mikehalloran »

Man what is it with Apple?
They're doing exactly what they said they were going to do for a long time now. They want all apps to work together without conflict and increase the security of the OS. The Ars Technica review gives good insight to what Apple is doing and why.

Developers have had a long time to prepare for this. Adobe is clearly the worst offender. Mavericks was supposed to be the last OS to support JRE 6 yet it still works in El Capitán. It will interesting to see if it really is dropped in 10.12.

It wouldn't bother me to go back to Yosemite except that I like the way 10.11 works with iOS 9.

USB is the only surprise. What the hell happened there? Was it the firmware upgrade? If it is going to take 10.11.1 to fix, it needs to happen soon.

So, no one really needs OS 10.11 yet.

Windows is still worse as all of the "how do I get the drivers working" threads remind us.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

The main device I need working in El Capitan is the MTP/AV.
Hopefully the next beta fixes it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I didn't really do extensive testing, or try to fix it. I immediately bailed out and went back to Yosemite. You'd also want to make very sure that things like system exclusive dumps will continue to work correctly. Often times note on and note off and controllers don't give you the complete picture.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What's up with Apple? Not us, obviously. The stuff that goes on here has always been a niche, but now it's a niche Apple doesn't need.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Got a reply to a tech link. New MIDI driver at that same page that fixes MTP AV problem. Haven't tested it yet.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

I'm going to clean up this macbook pro sitting here and instal El Capitan on it.
The work gets done on the desktop so no real worries. Good way to test most of what works and doesn't.

Real concerns for me on the Pro are the PCIe cards I have installed. The Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card is not working on a lot of peoples Yosemite systems although it works for me, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work in El Capitan. The Sonnet eSATA plus USB 3 cards are El Capitan ready though.

Plus an M.2 SSD to PCIe converter card. Probably not an issue, but you never know.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Come to think of it, my usb monitor uses third party drivers, DisplayLink_OSX_2.4, released 7/2015.

This was a big concern when I updated. They worked perfectly so I immediately forgot about them. The 2.4b (beta) drivers gave me a small amount of grief that went away with v. 2.4.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:Come to think of it, my usb monitor uses third party drivers, DisplayLink_OSX_2.4, released 7/2015.

This was a big concern when I updated. They worked perfectly so I immediately forgot about them. The 2.4b (beta) drivers gave me a small amount of grief that went away with v. 2.4.
good to hear, I'll probably just go ahead and get the Sonnet card though, since I guess from what I've been told by Inateck I'm lucky my current USB3 card works at all in Yosemite. Hard to spend $150 when something works as it stands, and no way to test it on a Macbook Pro..

One sort of annoying bug is the PCIe card loses signal to the USB3 dock when put to sleep so all my thumb drives report themselves improperly ejected. Don't know if that's worth $150 though?