MOTU posted public beta drivers for El Capitan

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU posted public beta drivers for El Capitan

Post by James Steele »

Just went by the MOTU site to see if there were new drivers out for older MOTU audio and MIDI interfaces that connect via USB. The only thing holding me back was drivers for my MTP/AV MIDI interface. MOTU has posted links to public beta drivers for El Capitan compatibility on this page:

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and-os-x-el-capitan

If you scroll down you'll see the links to the beta drivers in blue in the section listing the models of interface that are not yet compatible. I may get brave and give this a whirl.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MOTU posted public beta drivers for El Capitan

Post by James Steele »

I went ahead and ran the MIDI driver installer while Yosemite was installed and am now downloaded El Capitan. What the heck... I'm living dangerously I guess. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My iMac is not seeing my MTP AV USB with the beta drivers. Let's see if you have better luck.

I have al E-MU PROformance Plus hooked up playing the demo. The lights on my MTP tell me it's seeing the E-MU unit. I keep hitting the ReScan in Audio MIDI Setup but the icon is still greyed out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:My iMac is not seeing my MTP AV USB with the beta drivers. Let's see if you have better luck.

I have al E-MU PROformance Plus hooked up playing the demo. The lights on my MTP tell me it's seeing the E-MU unit. I keep hitting the ReScan in Audio MIDI Setup but the icon is still greyed out.
Hmmm... well I sure hope I do have better luck because my main studio computer is in the midst of installing El Cap. I installed the new driver *before* upgrading to El Cap. If it doesn't work that way, I'll try reinstalling.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I'll tell you this much. El Capitan drives the final nail in the coffin for the AlphaTrack it appears, which is a real bummer. Upon rebooting, AlphaTrack is not seen. It seems the extension is incompatible I suppose. Also I can't reinstall the AlphaTrack driver. The installer fails.

This is a different issue than the 64-bit compatibility with DP. In that case, it was just the control surface bundle specific to DP that needed updating. El Capitan pretty much kills the actual USB driver for AlphaTrack. I should've seen this coming with all the problems related to USB with MOTU interfaces.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm restoring to Yosemite from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. Not only did El Capitan kill off AlphaTrack, but even with the new public beta MIDI driver, my MTP/AV was sending MIDI on all MIDI Outs instead of just the one for the particular device that a MIDI track was targeting.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

YIKES!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm restoring to Yosemite from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup
Sounds like the prudent move. Reinstall Yosemite when you are done so that the Repair Partition is restored.
but even with the new public beta MIDI driver, my MTP/AV was sending MIDI on all MIDI Outs instead of just the one for the particular device that a MIDI track was targeting.
Yikes! Indeed. No doubt I am better off it not working at all for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
I'm restoring to Yosemite from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup
Sounds like the prudent move. Reinstall Yosemite when you are done so that the Repair Partition is restored.
Carbon Copy Cloner has a facility to do the Restore Partition so I chose that option. However, now that I've restored, I'm getting some squirreliness with playback on one of my projects. Will probably reinstall DP and reinstall MOTU Audio Drivers as well. I guess it couldn't hurt to reinstall Yosemite either. DP of course prompted me for my keycode, so I hope I didn't lose authorizations of too many plugs that use disk authorizations. I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but this is why I like iLok.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Turns out the strangeness I was getting on playback was due to the LiquidMix app getting it's "Prevent App Nap" checkbox unchecked somehow when I went from El Cap back to Yosemite. Either way, glad to have my AlphaTrack back.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

So, USB MTP-AV is a no-go with El Cap, even with the new MOTU drivers?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:So, USB MTP-AV is a no-go with El Cap, even with the new MOTU drivers?
For me. The problem is it behaved like a "dumb" MIDI interface. Let's say I had a device that was on a cable connected to MIDI Out 4 on the MTP/AV. When I select that device as the target of a MIDI track in DP, the MIDI for that track is sent out on all 8 MIDI Outs of the MTP/AV.

I didn't hang around El Capitan long enough to try and trouble shoot that one. The fact that the Alpha Track is completely a non-starter was enough for me. The basic USB driver for AlphaTrack is broken. This is more serious than the Control Surface Bundle for DP that was updated to work in DP's 64-bit mode. The Mac can't even "see" the Alpha Track anymore under El Capitan.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You never used to live this dangerously, James. LOL

As always, I'm happy to let the kiddies play with the new toy on the block. Still on 10.9.2 here, and even so, I still dream of the 10.6.8 days...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I was just about to hook my MTP AV back up to do some MIDI stuff.. good info to have, although I'm not going to El Capitan any time soon- it apparently breaks a lot of software I use.

Man what is it with Apple? Do they rewrite the OS from the ground up every time? What could they possibly have to fundamentally change, in a system that is so mature? Is there new MIDI functionality? lol
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:Man what is it with Apple? Do they rewrite the OS from the ground up every time? What could they possibly have to fundamentally change, in a system that is so mature? Is there new MIDI functionality? lol

My questions, exactly.
This is ridiculous.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|