Disappearing tracks!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Disappearing tracks!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Never saw this before, but it is happening and it is VERY troubling...

I'll record a few takes, mute the first track and record on another track. Everything is going well then all of a sudden I loose the first part of the earlier track. It's happened in two projects now. Same exact conditions.

Poof! Gone. Not in UNDO history and if the project was saved before I notice, it's just gone for good. The end!

THIS is serious. Report to MOTU...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Re: Disappearing data!

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Never saw this before, but it is happening and it is VERY troubling...

I'll record a few takes, mute the first track and record on another track. Everything is going well then all of a sudden I loose the first part of the earlier track. It's happened in two projects now. Same exact conditions.

Poof! Gone. Not in UNDO history and if the project was saved before I notice, it's just gone for good. The end!

THIS is serious. Report to MOTU...
What if you open an auto-save file? Is it in there?

You're right; this is VERY serious if it's a real bug. I'm just hoping it's something that's only happening locally on your setup for some reason. I mean, I wish it weren't happening to you, too, but I haven't seen it yet, and I'm wondering if it could be a corrupt file. Keep us in the loop, please!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks. I thought I was going crazy last night when it happened. Then this afternoon it happened again. The first time I left it to user error, but the second time it just vanished.

Probably a good time to start a new project file...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Cripes, Magilla. That sux man.

Dumb question, but it's not possible you're somehow invoking a key command to activate "replace" as opposed to "overdub" mode, or something similar where take retention is concerned, is it?

As would be evident, I'm not up with this stuff. Haven't hit record since takes were introduced, so that's something to look forward to. LOL

Hope you get this sorted, mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Regardless of user error, undo should show the list of events. It don't. I must watch very carefully to see if it happens again and how.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Very disturbing indeed MLC. Sorry you are going thru this. You have created clean prefs for DP? Run diskwarrior etc?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Regardless of user error, undo should show the list of events. It don't. I must watch very carefully to see if it happens again and how.
Good point.

MIDI Life Crisis

monkey man wrote: Good point.
Maybe if I wear a hat no one will notice?

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Very disturbing.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Haven't seen it again yet. Don't have disk warrior and run permissions repairs about once a month (usually after an install). But I don't think it's a system thing. I'm not sure what is happening. It's not like anything I've seen before.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Haven't seen it again yet. Don't have disk warrior and run permissions repairs about once a month (usually after an install). But I don't think it's a system thing. I'm not sure what is happening. It's not like anything I've seen before.
Have you tried a re-install of DP? I had an oddball thing happen a couple of weeks back where MIDI events were getting remapped (happened in multiple projects that were up until that point working just fine). For instance main volume on a vi that's supposed to respond to CC7 was now responding to CC1 (mod wheel) instead. Data was being sent correctly from my controller as verified by snoize. Tried remapping using DP's MIDI mapping feature; same thing happened. Happened with multiple developer's vi's. The only thing that cured it was to re-install DP9.01 and it's been all good now (knocks on wood).
MIDI Life Crisis

Good call. I'll try that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Killahurts wrote:Very disturbing.
I agree, Killa.

Magilla, you should have gone with the hat.

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Disappearing tracks!

Happened again this past Friday. I had to go into my backup copy, but this time my audio tracks were missing. Poof! Gone! Very strange...BTW, they were all in a folder and I seem to recall the other tracks were also in a folder, so I'm going to stop using folders for a while and see if it happens again. Clearly I appear to be the only one with this issue at the moment, so it may well be some weirdness in my system. I'll be doing a clean install of 10.10.5 in the coming days to fix another issue with ethernet connectivity. Maybe that will help...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Re: Disappearing tracks!

Post by philbrown »

This is a real long shot, and you've probably checked, but is the drive you're recording to anywhere near full? That can cause some strange stuff.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce