Disappearing tracks!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: Disappearing tracks!

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Happened again this past Friday. I had to go into my backup copy, but this time my audio tracks were missing. Poof! Gone! Very strange...BTW, they were all in a folder and I seem to recall the other tracks were also in a folder, so I'm going to stop using folders for a while and see if it happens again. Clearly I appear to be the only one with this issue at the moment, so it may well be some weirdness in my system. I'll be doing a clean install of 10.10.5 in the coming days to fix another issue with ethernet connectivity. Maybe that will help...
Track folders in DP or folders in Finder?
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

philbrown wrote:This is a real long shot, and you've probably checked, but is the drive you're recording to anywhere near full? That can cause some strange stuff.
Yes, I've seen a torrent client do the sort of thing you're probably thinking of, Phil.

Even partially-downloaded files can disappear after quitting and rebooting a client if, upon boot-up inspection, it determines that there's not enough space to complete downloads.

If DP, for whatever reason on Mike's system, did this it would explain the files' disappearance.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The tracks are disappearing during the session.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The tracks are disappearing during the session.
Your drive may be going south :(

An interesting thing to try is can Finder find the tracks in some other place than where they should be? I'm now wondering if somehow the tracks are getting saved in some odd place?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The tracks are disappearing during the session.
Cripes, Magilla!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I'm seem to remember this happening many years ago, but my memory is suspect at the best of times. It might be on the board here somewhere, maybe not a version problem.
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Happened again this past Friday. I had to go into my backup copy, but this time my audio tracks were missing. Poof! Gone! Very strange...BTW, they were all in a folder and I seem to recall the other tracks were also in a folder, so I'm going to stop using folders for a while and see if it happens again. Clearly I appear to be the only one with this issue at the moment, so it may well be some weirdness in my system. I'll be doing a clean install of 10.10.5 in the coming days to fix another issue with ethernet connectivity. Maybe that will help...
Just so I'm clear, when you say the files that disappeared were in a Folder, you mean a sub-folder you'd created within the Audio Files folder inside the Project folder, right? Is that your usual process?
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
MIDI Life Crisis

They're also (predominantly) MIDI tracks. Folders are irrelevant. I was referring to track folder in the TO window.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Ah, now I see. Thanks. The loss of MIDI tracks always worries me anyway, since they're sort of in the cloud until saved, unlike Audio tracks. Sometimes I've used undo at the wrong time and shot myself in the foot as far as losing them. But I understand your issue is with saved MIDI tracks, usually in Track Folders in TO, and that has not happened here.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
MIDI Life Crisis

If they disappear and then you save your only hope is a backup. I back up a lot!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If they disappear and then you save your only hope is a backup. I back up a lot!
Not to be flippant but this is why the fingers on my left hand are permanently bent so they can hit cmd-S. I don't rely on autosave even though I have it set.
MIDI Life Crisis

I never use auto save in any app.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I never use auto save in any app.
I don't either, but I DO use auto-backup. That has saved my ass so many times I ran out of fingers and toes counting them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Of course! Auto backup always!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I never use auto save in any app.
I don't either, but I DO use auto-backup. That has saved my ass so many times I ran out of fingers and toes counting them.

Shooshie
I never use auto-backup. All backups are done manually and on a regular schedule.