Disappearing tracks!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Disappearing tracks!

Post by labman »

MLC congrats on being back with Martha. Tres hip. Didn't you work for her decades ago in NYC?

Thanks for the info on your disappearing trks.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

labman wrote:MLC congrats on being back with Martha. Tres hip. Didn't you work for her decades ago in NYC?
Thanks man. I was a pianist at the school and company pianist (so this old fat guy was a member of the Martha Graham Dance Company - got the tee shirt: really!) 1979-1986. I last worked with her in 1981. She died on April Fool's Day, 1991 at 96 years old. Cool lady. She was about 86 when I worked with her and still had a charge account at the local liquor store. Oh man, I got some stories... ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

They're back...

This is the third or fourth time and while I still don't rule out user error, I was pretty careful in working.

First, I BTD (about an hour file). One segment of about 2 min. failed to bounce. Just silence. I went back to fix it, checked all my parameters and did another bounce, go back to the TO and all but one track of 6 remained. I reverted as I hadn't saved yet and the files showed up.

Checking the UNDO history I don't see anything that says delete or cut or move so I am left with the impression that this is something either in the app or related to drive performance. I'll be rewiring my system to incorporate a TB 2 /12 port dock and will clone the project drive to another spinner (both external FW) and see if working from another drive makes a difference. If not, it could still be my OS or other damaged files. I should probably reinstall DP as well and repeat the usual maintenance routines.

It's a little spooky.... :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman

Post by labman »

That is too weird. We got in habit a few years ago, of flushing undo before and after BTD or massive changes. I can't remember why. Will try to ask engineer.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks for the reply. It is very strange! Once or twice I might say I could have selected the tracks and hit delete, but this is now the third or fourth time and I know I didn't do anything to delete the tracks. I mean, that takes a bit of effort to do so consistently.

I'm starting to think a complete system reinstall may be in order. Oye!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Spit balling: Do any of these tracks show in your Time Machine backups?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

The tracks are still on the drive. If I revert the file before saving they reappear. It happens to both audio & MIDI tracks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman

Post by labman »

you think its always during or related to BTD?
MIDI Life Crisis

labman wrote:you think its always during or related to BTD?
Oh no, it happens randomly. Just the last time I noticed it was after a BTD.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman

Post by labman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
labman wrote:you think its always during or related to BTD?

Oh no, it happens randomly. Just the last time I noticed it was after a BTD.
Aha. I understand.
MIDI Life Crisis

I wish I did. :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Been racking my brain on this one too, Magilla, but all I can offer you are the peanuts that fell out.

I'll keep running my thought experiments on your behalf, FWIW, but it wouldn't surprise me if all I come up with is peanut butter or a banana smoothie... which I'll offer to you of course.

Hmm... bizarre.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
labman

Post by labman »

Any updates on this MLC?
MIDI Life Crisis

I've been working live a lot lately and not in DP so much at present. After my 9-hour gig at LACMA there's a moderately large project coming up that will put it to the test again.

Thanks for remembering. It's just a weird effing problem.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS