Sequence and MIDI editor issues

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Realmpel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sequence and MIDI editor issues

Post by Realmpel »

Hello,

I'm having a few issues that I have not been able to solve via manuals and previously asked questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. I recorded a virtual instrument and opened the Sequence editor to adjust my velocities. However, I am not able to click on the velocity points, as I only see the lasso tool. The piano roll shading is also not present (screenshot 1). I cannot switch the the all-purpose tool using either the tool palette or double-clicking/holding down "a" (note: I saw a previously asked question on this but that user's problem seemed to be that he needed to record some automation before he could get the pencil tool. The velocity points are already there). If I position the lasso over an actual note and select a note, the grid lines and piano roll shading appear (screenshot 2) and I am able to drag the velocity point. After I edit that note, I go back to the lasso tool. Selecting the note (which is not the easiest thing to do) is an extra keystroke that it seems I shouldn't have to do. Is there a way to lock it in the mode that allows me to use there all-purpose tool, rather than having to switch off the lasso every time I edit a note?

2. Often I record a few lines using different VIs and I want to edit them all together in the MIDI window. Usually, only the instrument in record mode will sound. Infrequently, when I introduce a new instrument into the MIDI editor using track selector, it will sound too, but I can't figure out how to repeat this. Usually I have to hunt down the right instrument and record-enable. I want to hear everything that's open in the MIDI editor. Is there a way to do this without record enabling everything (which seems to eat my processor power)?

3. I seem to be rebuilding tracks using the track selector window very frequently. if I switch from the mixing board to MIDI editor, for example, the tracks I previously selected are gone when I switch back to the mixing board. It takes a long time to rebuild these windows, is there any way to lock them?

OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
iMac 27 inch late 2013
3.5 Ghz i7
32 gigs RAM
7200 RPM 3 TB internal hard drive (DAW+system)
7200 RPM 1 TB Thunderbolt external hard drive (samples)
Realmpel

Re: Sequence and MIDI editor issues

Post by Realmpel »

Having trouble embedding photos, here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu3ks1stuuyz4 ... M.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okeonrztifdzf ... M.png?dl=0

Thanks very much for your time.
OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
iMac 27 inch late 2013
3.5 Ghz i7
32 gigs RAM
Realmpel

Post by Realmpel »

Looks like I figured #1 out. I swear I worked on it for a long time before posting! :oops: Needed only to open the mini-menu and adjust the velocities in there.

Would still appreciate any feedback on #2 and #3.

Thanks!
OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
iMac 27 inch late 2013
3.5 Ghz i7
32 gigs RAM
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

For #2, please try this:

Go to the VI's plug in window. There is a mini-menu in the upper right corner. Check the option that says "Run this instance in realtime". That should allow you to hear notes you click on to sound, even if the track is not in record.

For #3, there may be some process or workflow to manage what is selected but it is not something I've ever worked very hard on a solution for. I don't use the consolidated window and I switch between individual windows with various track selections intact. Others may offer very simple solutions that I have just been ignorant of.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

For 3, just turn off "Auto resize" in the Mixer's mini-menu. That should lock your track selections in the mixer so they don't follow other editors.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Realmpel wrote:Hello,

I'm having a few issues that I have not been able to solve via manuals and previously asked questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. I recorded a virtual instrument and opened the Sequence editor to adjust my velocities. However, I am not able to click on the velocity points, as I only see the lasso tool. The piano roll shading is also not present (screenshot 1). I cannot switch the the all-purpose tool using either the tool palette or double-clicking/holding down "a" (note: I saw a previously asked question on this but that user's problem seemed to be that he needed to record some automation before he could get the pencil tool. The velocity points are already there). If I position the lasso over an actual note and select a note, the grid lines and piano roll shading appear (screenshot 2) and I am able to drag the velocity point. After I edit that note, I go back to the lasso tool. Selecting the note (which is not the easiest thing to do) is an extra keystroke that it seems I shouldn't have to do. Is there a way to lock it in the mode that allows me to use there all-purpose tool, rather than having to switch off the lasso every time I edit a note?
If you want to edit, say, note 1 and note 4 of a series, it's easy to select the whole series with the lasso, then use the Reshape Tool (hit the R key twice to switch to that tool) to edit only the ones you want, which would be 1 and 4 in this case. Or you can select just those two notes and edit them in the same stroke with the Reshape Tool. Get very familiar with the keyboard shortcuts for selecting tools. It will save you time. Here's a cheat-sheet to put on a little stand in front of your monitor so that you can have that at your disposal all the time:

Just print it out and cut to size. I think it will print to a 4x6 sheet of paper, also. I make these for my own use, but feel free to spread it around.

Realmpel wrote:2. Often I record a few lines using different VIs and I want to edit them all together in the MIDI window. Usually, only the instrument in record mode will sound. Infrequently, when I introduce a new instrument into the MIDI editor using track selector, it will sound too, but I can't figure out how to repeat this. Usually I have to hunt down the right instrument and record-enable. I want to hear everything that's open in the MIDI editor. Is there a way to do this without record enabling everything (which seems to eat my processor power)?
Use SOLO. Set your solo preferences (DP Prefs) to solo the track in the front-most window. In the MIDI Editor, set for multiple tracks in one window, that has the effect of soloing all tracks that are visible in the editor window at that moment. That, of course, is controlled with the track selector in the margin of that window. Use that track selector rather than the separate Track Selector Window, because if you use the separate window, the MIDI window is no longer the topmost window, and you will not hear your soloed tracks until you go back to that window. So use the track selector in the margin. All visible tracks will be audible, providing they are all play-enabled. You will not have to record enable them just to hear them as you edit. Just hit "SOLO" and you're in business.
Realmpel wrote:3. I seem to be rebuilding tracks using the track selector window very frequently. if I switch from the mixing board to MIDI editor, for example, the tracks I previously selected are gone when I switch back to the mixing board. It takes a long time to rebuild these windows, is there any way to lock them?
There are many ways to work. Some people prefer window sets. Some prefer the Consolidated Windows. I used to have dozens of window sets, but when Apple came out with Spaces, a.k.a. Mission Control, I began to use that for all my work in DP. Spaces are virtual monitors, and you can use many of them. Here's how I go about it:

1) Set Control Panel to "Float." It must be able to follow you from screen to screen.
2) Use Consolidated Windows as your main screen. It will house the Tracks Overview and all the little windows. You may also want to put the Sequence Editor under the Tracks Overview if you don't use a lot of tracks.
3) Set your edit windows and mixing board to NOT use the Consolidated Windows. Or you can pop them out by clicking in the blank space at the top of the window (next to the tabs).
4) Set up Mission Control for keyboard commands. (I'll show you how with a video in a moment)
5) Each time you open a new file, distribute the windows to their respective spaces using Mission Control. I have that set to F1.

Here's a Tips Sheet post, and a YouTube Video explaining it for you:
(Tips Sheet Thread) You Tube Video: Now, you might ask, "Why?"
Good question. The reason I use Spaces/Mission Control is because it's the ONLY method I know of which accommodates my constantly changing window arrangements. I can leave open my edit windows at full-width of the monitor and they stay put. Whatever tracks were visible when I last used that window will still be there when I return. Likewise, whatever plugin windows I put there will still be there when I return. Window sets don't work for me, because they take me back to the beginning. They don't evolve with my work.

While OS X will not remember which of your windows you put in which space (they always open in Space 1), it WILL remember their positions on the screen. So, when you distribute them to their respective space, they will automatically go to the position they were in when you last saved the file. It takes less than a second per window to distribute them when you open a file in DP, but you can do that while your VI's are loading. There's really no time lost. Then, once they're in position, they stay put for the entire time you're working in a file. Remember to leave your windows open. You go from window to window either by using the Spaces keyboard command for that, or the DP keyboard shortcut for the particular window you want.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Realmpel

Post by Realmpel »

Thanks very much for these responses.

Regarding #2, stubbsonic's suggestion to check the real-time option in the VI mini-menu worked. Will I see decreased system performance if I click this option for all my VIs (currently 21 instances of Kontakt)?

Shooshie, I'm sure I misstepped somewhere as I applied your suggestion re: #2. I wasn't sure if your suggestion assumed that I had enabled real-time as stubbsonic suggested, or whether your suggestion is an alternative way of reaching the result. I treated it as an alternative method. I successfully set the solo pref (it was on already by default). I have two MIDI lines from separate instruments visible in the MIDI edit window. When I click the solo button in the control panel I now hear only the two instruments (was not aware of that function, thanks!). However, I still only hear sound from the record-enabled track when I click on the MIDI notes. I've made sure that the MIDI edit window is frontmost. Is there another setting I need to be aware of?

Regarding #3, your suggestion to use Mission Control/Spaces is extremely helpful and your video explanation very clear. I will definitely spend time experimenting with this setup. I think that will solve a few problems I've been having with keeping things organized, in addition to keeping my track selections in place. Thanks very much.

Thanks again to all for helping me out.
OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
iMac 27 inch late 2013
3.5 Ghz i7
32 gigs RAM
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Realmpel wrote:Shooshie, I'm sure I misstepped somewhere as I applied your suggestion re: #2. I wasn't sure if your suggestion assumed that I had enabled real-time as stubbsonic suggested, or whether your suggestion is an alternative way of reaching the result. I treated it as an alternative method. I successfully set the solo pref (it was on already by default). I have two MIDI lines from separate instruments visible in the MIDI edit window. When I click the solo button in the control panel I now hear only the two instruments (was not aware of that function, thanks!). However, I still only hear sound from the record-enabled track when I click on the MIDI notes. I've made sure that the MIDI edit window is frontmost. Is there another setting I need to be aware of?

Realmpel, I don't know why yours is doing that. When I use the MIDI Graphic Edit window (set for all MIDI tracks, selected in the margin), any note I click will sound. Doesn't matter what track, or which track is record enabled.

To be sure my memory isn't bearing a false synapse, I checked it out. Every note I clicked, regardless of track, produced its sound. In fact, the record-enabled track happened to be the only one without notes!

It's hard to say what's happening. Sometimes DP doesn't seem to chase Volume, Expression, or Breath controllers very well, so you click on a note and it won't make a sound unless you've played something prior that "opened up" the controller first. I say "sometimes", because there are times when it plays everything at the correct volume, and times when I have to use a breath controller to "prime" the CC chase value, so to speak.

So, you should be able to hear all tracks in the multitrack MIDI Edit Window, just by clicking on notes, regardless of the record-enabling. If that's not happening, I don't quite know what to tell you. It works here, 100% positively for sure.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Realmpel

Post by Realmpel »

Cool, thanks for checking! I'll keep messing with it.
OSX Yosemite 10.10.4
iMac 27 inch late 2013
3.5 Ghz i7
32 gigs RAM