Multiple MIDI inputs to one track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Multiple MIDI inputs to one track?

Post by stubbsonic »

I do think that multi-record is device specific for inputs. However, if the inter-app concepts don't work, or DP's Inter-App MIDI, I wonder if there couldn't be some external MIDI patchbay software that could re-route things as you need.

FWIW, there is a feature request here. I've often wished the DP's bundles window handled MIDI the same way it handled audio, with the ability to cross-assign things and matrix the i/o. There's probably compelling reasons why this is not done, but it would be nice.

By the same token, creating a "MIDI Aux Track" could also be interesting were MIDI streams (i.e., devices & channels) are assigned to (and thus merged into) a single track where that track can output to a VI and/or record track.

Alternatively, it would have been cool if Apple had included in AudioMIDI Setup, the ability to pipe several sources into one input. (Sometimes it can, I think. But not in this case, I think.)

I think Reedster is right on about Plogue Bidule being a great (and fairly cheap) option-- that would also provide lots of other features.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I thought all Bidule did was host virtual instruments and AU/VST, similar to VE Pro (which I used to use). I had no idea it was so.. vast. I'll be looking deeper into it.

There might be hardware MIDI switching devices out there, but keep in mind, my controllers and the MIDI Expression devices are all USB, not using standard MIDI connectors. If they were, I could probably do what I want with one of my MIDI Time Pieces and the clockworks software, like Shooshie wrote. That may be where the system ends up, but for now I'm hoping for a software solution. Bidule may be that solution.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
reedster

Post by reedster »

I'm thinkin' your task is straightforward in Bidule and your decisions will be more about how to approach the task rather than if you can or what the constraints might be.

their User Forum is a good resource.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There is an app for iOS (if you have such a device) called MIDIflow. I'm wondering if you can use this to route all your MIDI and rechannelize.

http://www.midiflow.com

Though the iOS device will often say "not enough power for the attached device" you can sometimes get around this by using a powered USB hub-- which would be necessary anyway, because you'll be merging the outputs of your various USB controllers.

The other thing is to look at some MIDI patchbay & router software for mac which also might be able to take care of this most elegantly. Bidule is very cool, but might cost more than you need to spend.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Thanks for all the great replies guys! It's been a big help.. I'm investigating pretty much everything you all have suggested. I do believe that there is more than one way to accomplish what I want, but I also believe there is a best way for my setup.

Also, I get the feeling there might be something simple that I'm missing.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Well, the original question I had has been solved! There is a piece of freeware out there named MIDI Patchbay, written by Pete Yandell. It's older, apparently, but still working. I set it up like this:

I'm effectively able to merge the controllers I want, and still keep their separate MIDI channels intact.. what I wanted to do.

But as you may have suspected, the road has broadened over time, and I'm now in the midst of building a fantastically complex and powerful realtime MIDI rig, based on a hardware/software hybrid.