How to switch to that cell instead of opening a new one

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to switch to that cell instead of opening a new one

Post by cleamon »

reedster wrote:
when I press the shortcut key (shift S), DP opens the sequence editor as a new, separate window.
Shift S consistently opens Sequence Editor in CW over here. Sorry to hear that it's not working that way for all. I wonder if it would be time to reset preferences.
Just figured it out. Even though I have the preference set to "open in CW", at some point I had used "ctrl-1" to pop it out, then closed it (red button in upper left). Forgot about that and was just clicking on the tab. However, from that point forward, using the command key (or menu) it ignored the preference setting and remembered I had popped it out. It continued this behavior until I used ctrl-1 again to pop it back.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

The 'problem' with setting it to max 1 row is that some of us like to have a row at the bottom. For me, it's the mixing board.

The Shift-__ window selection commands should switch the currently focused window, and currently it does not.

The only way I know of to make it behave is to use window sets.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you have multiple windows open in a single monitor or space, and you want to switch between them without closing them or "opening a new window," the Apple command for cycling through windows within an application is COMMAND ~ (Command-Tilde)

There is another way. I don't like Window Sets, because they always take me back to the beginning of a setup. My windows are always evolving, and I like for them to stay put, just as I left them, with any other windows I may have moved into position next to them, etc.

I use Apple's Mission Control for that. I explained it in another post this morning, but there is also my post in the DP Tips Sheet as well as a YouTube video which explain it pretty well. One thing I left out of the video: Set your control panel to float. It has to be able to follow you from space to space as you go to your edit windows, plugins, etc.

Here are the links:
Tips Sheet Thread: You Tube Video: Like some of the others who answered this thread, I'm not 100% certain that I understand your question, but I think you're asking how to go from window to window without losing what you've got set up in each of those windows. My way solves the problem by leaving the windows open all the time, each in its own virtual monitor, so that you are just switching between monitors, or scenes or "Spaces." You're always returning to things that are just the way you left them. Takes a moment to set it up when you first open a file, but I do that while my VIs are loading. Just takes a few seconds. I've been working this way for about 10 years now, and I hope I never have to go back to another way of working. It's just so fast, so convenient, and so logical.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wups... I just noticed that you're using Windows. I don't know if Windows has an equivalent to Spaces. If so, you might try it. If not... well, sorry to waste your time with an OS X solution.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
reedster

Post by reedster »

Robert Randolph wrote:The Shift-__ window selection commands should switch the currently focused window, and currently it does not.
Great idea.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule