How to switch to that cell instead of opening a new one

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to switch to that cell instead of opening a new one

Post by rockman413 »

Hi there!
I really don't like split screen with track and seq editor. I can click and switch from Track view into seq editor or quickscribe, but is there a shortcut for this? I can only shortcut to open a new window of seq editor...

Thanks!
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
Guitar Gaz

Re: How to switch to that cell instead of opening a new one

Post by Guitar Gaz »

You could do with reading the PDF manual to be honest - we like to help but it's difficult to know what level you are at - sometimes there is no easier answer to actually reading how to do things.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

I've read it, but I want to optimize it. I can just click my mouse and switch into that tab, but do you know if there's a shortcut we can set up to do that switch instead of mousing clicking. And I've found nothing in the pdf or in the commands which allows me to do that.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

The only way I know of doing this is to utilize the window sets feature. Make a set with your desired setup and assign the appropriate key to it.
Robert Randolph

Guitar Gaz wrote:You could do with reading the PDF manual to be honest - we like to help but it's difficult to know what level you are at - sometimes there is no easier answer to actually reading how to do things.
I thought his question was very clear. I have read the manual thoroughly and I don't actually know of a clear cut answer. At best I know a workaround.

Perhaps you could direct us to the page that answers this?
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:You could do with reading the PDF manual to be honest - we like to help but it's difficult to know what level you are at - sometimes there is no easier answer to actually reading how to do things.
I thought his question was very clear. I have read the manual thoroughly and I don't actually know of a clear cut answer. At best I know a workaround.

This is the correct answer, thank you Robert!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

rockman413 wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

This is the correct answer, thank you Robert!
As far as I remember Window Sets are mentioned in the manual from page 107. It wasn't just this question - there were other posts with quite basic questions which suggested a lack of knowledge which reading the manual could help with. Such as:

"When use the mouse wheel to scroll in MIDI editor, either it scroll to the top or to the bottom.... How can I scroll it slowly and find the MIDI notes I have in piano roll?"

I think I answered that one. However - happy for Robert to take over answering your queries as I was trying to be helpful but am not interested in some sort of helpfulness competition. Its all there in the manual, or you can search this forum. If it ain't there, and Shooshie has not spoken, then it is probably not possible.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
reedster

Post by reedster »

In the body area of the Consolidated window, when the screen is split horizontally, the bottom section responds to keyboard shortcuts listed in Commands (Shift L)

You're not required to horizontally split body - in Preferences you can set up the behavior you want or just drag the bar in-between sections to have only a single section.

In rereading your question I may misunderstand what you want. Try going to Preferences / Display / Consolidated Window and select which windows you want to open in Consolidated Window.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Robert Randolph

reedster wrote:In the body area of the Consolidated window, when the screen is split horizontally, the bottom section responds to keyboard shortcuts listed in Commands (Shift L)

You're not required to horizontally split body - in Preferences you can set up the behavior you want or just drag the bar in-between sections to have only a single section.

In rereading your question I may misunderstand what you want. Try going to Preferences / Display / Consolidated Window and select which windows you want to open in Consolidated Window.
The issue is that he wants to simply switch between the two windows, not open the other window as well.

As it is, if you use the shortcuts, it will open up the split or open the specific window in a new window. If you're in the sequence window and use the shortcut for the tracks overview, you now have both windows open. He wants just the trans overview to be open in that scenario.
Robert Randolph

Guitar Gaz wrote:
rockman413 wrote: This is the correct answer, thank you Robert!
As far as I remember Window Sets are mentioned in the manual from page 107. It wasn't just this question - there were other posts with quite basic questions which suggested a lack of knowledge which reading the manual could help with. Such as:

"When use the mouse wheel to scroll in MIDI editor, either it scroll to the top or to the bottom.... How can I scroll it slowly and find the MIDI notes I have in piano roll?"

I think I answered that one. However - happy for Robert to take over answering your queries as I was trying to be helpful but am not interested in some sort of helpfulness competition. Its all there in the manual, or you can search this forum. If it ain't there, and Shooshie has not spoken, then it is probably not possible.
I understand your frustration, but in this case I'm not sure how the OP could have known what to look for. Using window sets is a workaround, not an 'real' solution.

In order for him to search the manual for this feature, he'd have to know that it was a possible solution already... making it a chicken or egg issue. If he knew the potential answer, he wouldn't have had to search the manual at all. If he doesn't know the potential answer, then he'd have no idea what to search for in the manual.

Then there's the issue of using the search feature on the forum. Unless someone actually answers his question, next time someone has the same question all they will find is 'rtfm' or 'use the search'... which is somewhat circular isn't it?

Regarding his other post... he apparently found a legitimate bug with scrolling. I just noticed I have this same issue on my system in DP9 in windows. The manual definitely doesn't help there at all either.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

I guess we're all seeing a different view of the OP's problem. Whether you read the manual or not, there is definitely an issue. For example, I have my system setup to open ALL editors in the consolidated window. Using the default command keys, I get this behavior:
shift-T = open tracks overview in the CW
shift-G = open the MIDI editor in the CW
shift-D = open the drum editor in the CW
shift-Q = open quickscribe in the CW
shift-M = open the mixer in the CW
shift-S = open the sequence editor IN A BRAND NEW WINDOW - not the CW
Very annoying.

<over and out>
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:
rockman413 wrote: I understand your frustration, but in this case I'm not sure how the OP could have known what to look for. Using window sets is a workaround, not an 'real' solution.
Not frustrated - trying to help. Not sure how Window Sets qualify as a "workaround" and not a solution when they are part of the way DP works. Not that I would want to work his way but I am sure I could find a way of doing it with different Window Sets with custom commands - I just type T and I get Track Overview, or S and I get Sequence Editor - and any other I care to set up (often with 2 or 3 other windows open as to how I want to see a certain screen setting). Just because DP does not do every single different set up that some want, doesn't mean it is a bug, or that what you call a workaround is not actually a solution. Or that the manual doesn't cover every single permutation to enable questions to be answered. DP is very flexible and can be made to work in many diferent ways - although occasionally one person's idiosyncratic MO may not be satisfied and they may just have to find another way - and oh my god they may have to make an extra mouse click or set up another key command. But they will find something else amazing - have I mentioned before how great Pitch correction is? Or V-Racks?
Gary Shepherd
frankf

Post by frankf »

In Preferences>Consolodated Windows you can set the body of the CS to hold only one row. This will allow the Shift shortcuts to work as OP wants if I'm understanding him correctly. You can also set which Windows open in the CS
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

frankf wrote:In Preferences>Consolodated Windows you can set the body of the CS to hold only one row. This will allow the Shift shortcuts to work as OP wants if I'm understanding him correctly. You can also set which Windows open in the CS
Except that doesn't work with the sequence window. I have mine set to show ALL editors in the CW, but when I press the shortcut key (shift S), DP opens the sequence editor as a new, separate window.

UPDATE: just noticed that this behavior only happens on certain projects. Hmmm. What's up with that?
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
reedster

Post by reedster »

when I press the shortcut key (shift S), DP opens the sequence editor as a new, separate window.
Shift S consistently opens Sequence Editor in CW over here. Sorry to hear that it's not working that way for all. I wonder if it would be time to reset preferences.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule