He promised; He did it !

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: He promised; He did it !

Post by waxman »

The MTI on a angle in front of you is awesome. I love working on huge consoles. Moving around instead of being a statue with a mouse is much better for the arms and shoulders. I do not enjoy adjusting plugs and pans in DP. It's very micro moves, hard on the eyes and feels out of proportion.

I've used the MCU pros for years and it's always felt like a band aid. The ergonomics of 27 inch monitor is not an issue IMO. I use a 20 inch Sony Phablet to control a Black Magic Design video switcher and it is great. I've done 3 hour intense broadcasts where your hands are on the screen the whole time with no issues.

Monkey Man what's up with Tweeter, Jan, Bill and the undercover cop? Which Chuck? Buch of stuff? Hmmm. Need more input maybe PM.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Ergonomic concerns maybe...

I'm stoked to get a few more feet back from the monitors. I'm thinking I'll get a 48-55 inch to view Apollo Console, NI Maschine etc. from a distance. Now everything is on my 27 Apple cinema display. I use screen switching a lot. I wonder if that will work and be touch? Mirroring monitors or 2nd display? Any thoughts?

This has not been that great.

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:I'm pretty sure you can still use the Magic Trackpad for everything you want to use it for. The touch screen will be great for multi-touch moves. Consider it like an analog board with a control console (Trackpad). You do most of your clicking at the control console, but when you do some mixing, you can use all your fingers!

Shoosh

EXACTLY!!! It's better to be on a console and moving. I think not using the magic mouse will take some getting used to. The SW will take some getting used to. Being back from the speakers and not having a display in the stereo image is awesome. Something like this...

waxman
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote:I'm pretty sure you can still use the Magic Trackpad for everything you want to use it for.

Shoosh
great point. That would my intention entirely shooshie.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Killahurts wrote:
doodles wrote:someone mentioned something about there being a 48 inch as well?

Has anybody tried this, or sticking to the 28 or whatever it is?
The 48" is the one I tried, see above.. That's why I'm most excited about the 27", because it would integrate into my system so well, without having to throw everything out and start over.
Just read. Interesting. Might start with 28 and take it from there.

The thing I am MOST interested in is in your other post. I'm going to be intrigued to see how I can set up the batch commander to render MIDI to audio, when tons of VI's are involved. This is SOOOO time-consuming when getting ready to mix a score, going to Air or whatever, and having to render all audio from MIDI. How will we be able to tell it to select the relevant VI with the MIDI track? Intrigued, but also incredibly excited!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
waxman

Post by waxman »

Notice the plugs are on monitor 2. So VIs should be able to show on second monitor. These speakers are still too close and toed in for me. I wonder why so many of these guys have the speakers so close. check these pics
http://www.slatemt.com/raven-users/

Wondering where I will view Maschine, Omnishpere, BFD3 and UAD2 guitar plugs. I am waiting for them to post the manual on Slate sight. Should answer most questions....

waxman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote: It's better to be on a console and moving.
That would depend on the position of the console, seating, etc. Not likely to be better if you have to reach way out in front of you supporting the weight of outstretched arms for 10 hours.
Last edited by bayswater on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

I don't see that being an issue on a 27 inch monitor... I have the Apple Display so I put it in position. If feels great. Of course the proof is in the pudding. One ten hour session or consecutive days of 6 hours will tell the story... getting used to not actually feeling a fader is going to be different.

I'm NOT so concerned about how it works below the neck. It's getting my noggin around how to maximize this thing. MACROS baby MACROS.... I am just SO ready for a revolution in how we work as compared to when we were on consoles back before there was dirt. I've been OTB, ITB, Hybrid, Summing, Console,MCU's and even a faderport. This is the first thing that is really different. To sit at a Neve VR or an API is a beautiful things in cutting tracking and mixing. Hopefully this will somehow rival it. Ahhh if I can get my head around it.

The 27inch screen is just not that big. Watch this video of the guy using it. Looks very relaxed and ergonomic. http://www.slatemt.com/raven-videos/

This toolbar sits right in front so I don't think there will be much reaching

This is the Macro tool bar also right at the bottom of the screen
waxman
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I must be one of the only people who still has a control room window to the live room between the speakers. An angled touch screen in front sounds better than sitting the way I have to now, turned 50-60 degrees to one side to look at a screen to the side, look back to the middle to see the artist and place head in sweet spot.

Found a guy saying the batch commander rarely works properly in software V2, and PT sessions seldom reload correctly on his MTi, besides that he's bitter about the cost crash. Keep watching....

The 46" MTX starts at $10K. Doubt many will be comparing between the two.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
waxman

Post by waxman »

EMRR wrote:I must be one of the only people who still has a control room window to the live room between the speakers.
Have a window now. Always had a window... :) It's to my right now. Back in the day the instruments were the people. So the control room window had to be front and center. Now the instruments are on the screen more then in the studio. Unless your tracking a rehearsed band. Which is also a rare beast. And I miss it...

True if this MTi is buggy and creates issues it will be a bummer. But a thousand bucks sure ain't $10k. Being on the cutting edge is bloody. Lets hope the new software fixes the bugs.

At any rate I'm in. The upside is too good and down side is about $500 if you have to dump it. I've done worse.
waxman
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Watching with interest. Yeah, all I do is track live bands that I watch through a window. No virtual anything.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

waxman wrote:Monkey Man what's up with Tweeter, Jan, Bill and the undercover cop? Which Chuck? Buch of stuff? Hmmm. Need more input maybe PM.
My bad, Greg. Sorry mate.

Corrected post to read, "A bunch of stuff".

The main thing is that I was very happy to see you, brother.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
doodles

Post by doodles »

The more I think about the rendering MIDI to audio for hundreds of MIDI files/VI's in a sequence for soundtracks, the more it excites me. I just can't see it working as I need it to, but hell, for $1000 it's worth trying! Just ordered mine...

This from Slate support, FYI:

Hey Paul,

Batch Commander can definitely do this! It already comes with a preset command to do so, but if that doesn't work we've added a "record" function. All you'll need to do is create a new command, hit record, perform the moves you mentioned one time through, then hit stop. You'll now have a Batch Command which will do exactly what you just did, every time, instantly. Hope this helps!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

doodles wrote:The more I think about the rendering MIDI to audio for hundreds of MIDI files/VI's in a sequence for soundtracks, the more it excites me. I just can't see it working as I need it to, but hell, for $1000 it's worth trying! Just ordered mine...

This from Slate support, FYI:

Hey Paul,

Batch Commander can definitely do this! It already comes with a preset command to do so, but if that doesn't work we've added a "record" function. All you'll need to do is create a new command, hit record, perform the moves you mentioned one time through, then hit stop. You'll now have a Batch Command which will do exactly what you just did, every time, instantly. Hope this helps!
Slate is removing all possible objections to buying one of those things. Pretty soon, I won't be able to resist!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wow, you guys have HUGE studios/rooms/etc.! Here in the SF Bay Area, most stuff is Manhattan-sized (or Tokyo-sized, if you will).

Everything I use for production and computer work has to fit on a 46" wide table -- and that includes my monitors. I'm not sure the Raven will fit, but I hope to check its full specs soon, including the slanting setup shown above.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH