He promised; He did it !

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: He promised; He did it !

Post by David Polich »

It's official - Slate is my favorite vendor now.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Just ordered it from Mark at Sweetwater. Thanks to Big Wave Dave for letting me know. I have been so waiting for this. This will impact and make everything move. woohoo. Mark said around Oct. 22. Fingers crossed. MOTU should have done this a few years ago. They probably will now for $999 lol...

MCU Pro and 2 extenders going on ebay right now... http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201443322699? ... CA:US:1123

Contact me direct if you're interested in the MCU system.

This is a great link to see the different studios using Ravens and MTI
http://www.slatemt.com/raven-users/

Aloe Blacc was the man. But now SLATE you are THE MAN :woohoo:
Last edited by waxman on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

nk_e wrote:
Killahurts wrote:I know that it can be the primary monitor, and supports a second monitor. But for my setup, I need to know if it can be my primary monitor/touchscreen, and mirror that image onto my 60" 1920 X 1080 display?
It can function as a primary monitor. Mirroring is handled in your preferences, no? Your video card has to have two outputs, etc. It also requires a true DVI connection. I was unsuccessful using a display port to DVI adapter.

Note that I have version 1 of the thing; specs for version 2 may differ.
May be problematic for me.. my computer is in a machine room and the monitors are distributed as HDMI over cat 6 cables.

I have very good USB 2.0 extended into the control room though, so if the monitor part of Raven is "just a monitor", and all the commands are via USB, it should work.. ?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Don T

Post by Don T »

WOW!
I'm going to have to look at this for the school. Looks like a nice piece of kit. Our situation, being a school, is we have to support all workflows within reason. We have the one large control room to mix stereo, 5.1 sound for pic, multi-track sessions with and without the MTR etc. Minimum of 16 tracks of I/O with monitoring also integrated into the workstation.

Don T
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Yeah!!! Looking good. Really, great news and invention.
However... ergonomics.. using your hands and arms for every click, drag and change.
Considering the speed and large amount of mouse clicks we usually make every single day.

Are you all getting my Point?
I see scapula injuries and other hurting areas, back pain, neck, yeah, you may get my concerns.

I might be overreacting as I haven´t worked with the Raven yet, however I work with DP and know the amount of clicks.

Raven is probably worth it, but ergonomics should be taken into consideration before buying.
I´m unfortunately not to keen cuz of this.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Hey RadioGal. I agree entirely about the ergonomics thing. Our engineer reminded us today that he had hated it when testing one out for 45 minutes when they first came out. (for precisely the reasons you mention.)

But I suspect, if we treated like an musical instrument with our arms consistently moving and dropping to sides with good supportive posture it may be very do-able. I already have ergonomic issues from years of holding onto trackballs for hours, and of course, trackballs are way better than mice. My issues weren't from using the trackballs, but from having my arms in that position too long. Sorta like playing classical guitar for hours without moving. Not a good thing.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

nk_e wrote:It also requires a true DVI connection. I was unsuccessful using a display port to DVI adapter. Note that I have version 1 of the thing; specs for version 2 may differ.

That sounds like a red flag to watch.

Point taken about ergonomics, though I suppose they all suck. More options, more ways to avoid problems. Switch to traditional mouse when arms are tired, switch back when your hand locks up. Etc.

Lots of various grumbling I see about the original Raven implementation. It's matured longer than any other options out there, be interesting to see how it really plays with DP.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Simsy »

Ordered!! Get it in 2 weeks, can't wait. :shock:
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

labman wrote:Hey RadioGal. I agree entirely about the ergonomics thing. Our engineer reminded us today that he had hated it when testing one out for 45 minutes when they first came out. (for precisely the reasons you mention.)

But I suspect, if we treated like an musical instrument with our arms consistently moving and dropping to sides with good supportive posture it may be very do-able. I already have ergonomic issues from years of holding onto trackballs for hours, and of course, trackballs are way better than mice. My issues weren't from using the trackballs, but from having my arms in that position too long. Sorta like playing classical guitar for hours without moving. Not a good thing.
I tried out the big Raven last year, and found it to be somewhat fatiguing as well. The key for me would be getting the screen at the right angle and height. One can do this with the 27" MTi, but not with the big Raven, its angle and height is set.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Radiogal wrote:Yeah!!! Looking good. Really, great news and invention.
However... ergonomics.. using your hands and arms for every click, drag and change.
Considering the speed and large amount of mouse clicks we usually make every single day.

Are you all getting my Point?
I see scapula injuries and other hurting areas, back pain, neck, yeah, you may get my concerns
Exactly my concern. I'd want to work with one for a few days to see what happens. But I expect these problems will be addressed with some design refinements. Kudos to Slate for leading the charge.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
doodles

Post by doodles »

someone mentioned something about there being a 48 inch as well?

Has anybody tried this, or sticking to the 28 or whatever it is?
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

doodles wrote:someone mentioned something about there being a 48 inch as well?

Has anybody tried this, or sticking to the 28 or whatever it is?
The 48" is the one I tried, see above.. That's why I'm most excited about the 27", because it would integrate into my system so well, without having to throw everything out and start over.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

And heck guys, for hands-on control of plugins alone, this is worth a thousand bucks. Think about it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm pretty sure you can still use the Magic Trackpad for everything you want to use it for. The touch screen will be great for multi-touch moves. Consider it like an analog board with a control console (Trackpad). You do most of your clicking at the control console, but when you do some mixing, you can use all your fingers!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The ergonomic concerns are mine too; my long-term muscle issues exacerbate the strain of holding one's arms "forward", or even suspending them. The mouse works fine for me 'cause I can lazily rest both my arms on the work surface; I designed it that way.

Looks like a great product nevertheless. I wonder how detailed MIDI editing goes on this thing?
Waxman wrote:...A bunch of stuff...
Greg!

Long time no see, brother. Hope you're OK.

Seen Chuck?
Last edited by monkey man on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here