He promised; He did it !

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

He promised; He did it !

Post by corbo-billy »

What a big surprise !

Last edited by corbo-billy on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: He promised; He did it !

Post by James Steele »

Wow!!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

So very very cool. I wonder how it handles DP 'themes".
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Whoaaa! Is this real? I think I'm ready for Slate to buy out MOTU.

And did I correctly read that it's only $999?

The only other question is whether they'll keep it up to date for each DP release. This is amazing. I mean, it doesn't make sense NOT to use one of these things. It's like getting a touch-screen version of DP with a touch screen version of QuicKeys, plus all the enhancements you ever dreamed of, all in one. Plus... a touch screen! This is some serious stuff. Slate is freaking amazing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Wow...I spent more than that on MCU+3x. And this thing is way cooler.

I wonder what the MCU resale is gonna net me.

I'm sold.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wow!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

getting credit card out now. This is phenomenal.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OK. Let's see...

I have to budget for it, completely redesign my work space and re-think how I do everything...

I can live with that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:OK. Let's see...

I have to budget for it, completely redesign my work space and re-think how I do everything...

I can live with that.
Those things he was doing with one hand — the dragging and adding to the selected objects without losing your current selections, etc. — ought to be of great interest! I don't have room for it in my workspace, but I'm considering MAKING room.

I wonder what happens to your monitor during the time you're using his multi-touch. Can it be used as a 2nd monitor?

Will Spaces work on it? (It should; it's part of the OS)

This is a very exciting product.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Oh yea. When he said, "you can use two hands...", I was thinking, 'No I can't but I really like what you are doing with one'.

Probably next year…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Shooshie wrote:

I can live with that.
Those things he was doing with one hand — the dragging and adding to the selected objects without losing your current selections, etc. — ought to be of great interest! I don't have room for it in my workspace, but I'm considering MAKING room.

I wonder what happens to your monitor during the time you're using his multi-touch. Can it be used as a 2nd monitor?

Will Spaces work on it? (It should; it's part of the OS)

This is a very exciting product.

Yep. It can be used as a second monitor. With the current software (v 2.5.1), it needs to be "monitor 1" in your system preferences when you want to use the Raven software touch capabilities. It also has to be at the 1920x1080 resolution. Other resolutions are available for normal usage and it can be whatever monitor in your setup other times.

It's a real change to your workflow and habits. Once you have it, you have to really resist using the mouse because you will be quicker with a mouse/trackpad/trackball initially given how many years of practice you have with those devices. It reminded me in an odd way of the switch to the Magic Trackpad. Couldn't stand it at first; would never go back to a mouse now.

One thing that has been long in coming is Yosemite compatibility. Current software doesn't support Yosemite. Presumably version 3 will, but I didn't see an explicit confirmation of it and there's been nothing announcement on the forums as of last night.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I can live with that.
Thanks for writing this for me, so I don't have to! :lol:

The Batch Commander alone is reason to celebrate! Would I like to render all my MIDI tracks into audio tracks at the push of a button?

Yes. I. Would.

I wonder if the big Raven has dropped in price as well?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mikehalloran wrote:Oh yea. When he said, "you can use two hands...", I was thinking, 'No I can't but I really like what you are doing with one'.
Ha! You're a champ, Mike.

I can live with that.
Yeah, I had to take a long look at my setup, which is a rock-solid, stained-wood affair in which everything has its pre-ordained place.

If I can tilt the screen "flat" enough it won't interfere with the monitors' sound-paths; it could then be flipped back to an upright position for everyday Mac OS usage, where my beloved Opals wouldn't be relevant.

If this scenario is unrealistic in some way, someone please tell me now so I can wipe this dream from memory before it causes more harm than good!
Shooshie wrote: Those things he was doing with one hand — the dragging and adding to the selected objects without losing your current selections, etc. — ought to be of great interest! I don't have room for it in my workspace, but I'm considering MAKING room.
You, me and God knows how many others across the DAW spectrum right now, Shoosh... I assume.
Shooshie wrote:I wonder what happens to your monitor during the time you're using his multi-touch. Can it be used as a 2nd monitor?
Conversely, will the Slate one function as one's "normal" one? Someone said it could. That would be critical for me and those who've only the space for one.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I know that it can be the primary monitor, and supports a second monitor. But for my setup, I need to know if it can be my primary monitor/touchscreen, and mirror that image onto my 60" 1920 X 1080 display?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Killahurts wrote:I know that it can be the primary monitor, and supports a second monitor. But for my setup, I need to know if it can be my primary monitor/touchscreen, and mirror that image onto my 60" 1920 X 1080 display?
It can function as a primary monitor. Mirroring is handled in your preferences, no? Your video card has to have two outputs, etc. It also requires a true DVI connection. I was unsuccessful using a display port to DVI adapter.

Note that I have version 1 of the thing; specs for version 2 may differ.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com