He promised; He did it !

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
OLB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: He promised; He did it !

Post by OLB »

They've uploaded some tutorials on the new Raven 3.0 software:

Dang, pretty cool that you can import your own pictures in the mixer! Plus lots of other stuff.

- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

OLB wrote:They've uploaded some tutorials on the new Raven 3.0 software:

Dang, pretty cool that you can import your own pictures in the mixer! Plus lots of other stuff.

Holy cow. I am holding my breath until tomorrow.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Gravity Jim wrote:
OLB wrote:They've uploaded some tutorials on the new Raven 3.0 software:

Holy cow. I am holding my breath until tomorrow.
Is that when you get yours Jim? I expect a full report :D
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes, mine is being delivered tomorrow, according to UPS. I bought it from Westlake Pro, which is very close to Slate's warehouse: they got their first allotment on Monday and sent mine out the same day.

Full report? Just try and stop me! :lol:
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:Delivery scheduled for Wedenesday the 18th!

My wife says, "well, what should I do this weekend?" :lol:
Ha! Perfect! Can't wait to hear how you like it. I'm sort of eyeing it myself!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Delivery scheduled for Wedenesday the 18th!

My wife says, "well, what should I do this weekend?" :lol:
Ha! Perfect! Can't wait to hear how you like it. I'm sort of eyeing it myself!
In the mean time, I got the ones in my signature link ( actally 3 of them )

:mrgreen:

Best regards to everybody

Klaus
NYFC
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NYFC »

No reports?
iMac 5k 4.0ghz 32gigs
3 Mac mini slaves
VSL,EastWest Hollywood, LASS, etc.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have a thread in "General Recording" about my experience so far. Hoping others will join in soon.
Jim Bordner

waxman

Post by waxman »

Yay!!! Mine just arrived Fed-ex from Sweetwater.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I don't want to tear up my studio so I'm setting up an iMac to learn this on. I really hope the MTi interfaces with t-bolt to HDMI. Anyone know? I'm heading off to apple now for the thunderbolt to hdmi connector.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That oughta work.
Jim Bordner

waxman

Post by waxman »

It took a while to get all the installs, registration and iLok verification but that all works. Then BUMMER... I may have a bad unit or something is wrong... The screen has radical digital noise and is doing the watussi. I tried both VCA and HDMI connects and 3 different computers. Screen menu does it even when not connected to any source... calling Slate at 9 PST. They have good tech service. I will update...
waxman
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

waxman wrote:It took a while to get all the installs, registration and iLok verification but that all works. Then BUMMER... I may have a bad unit or something is wrong... The screen has radical digital noise and is doing the watussi. I tried both VCA and HDMI connects and 3 different computers. Screen menu does it even when not connected to any source... calling Slate at 9 PST. They have good tech service. I will update...
Ouch.

I'd be willing to bet that somehow a connector inside worked loose. I base that on your having issues even when not connected to anything.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Dang, waxman. Sorry.

Yeah, sounds like you just got a bad one. One of the downsides of early adoption of new hardware is the shakedown required to get consistent manufacturing. I would not have been a bit surprised if mine didn't work.
Jim Bordner

waxman

Post by waxman »

I got the mixer yesterday afternoon and it took a few hours to get everything installed. Bottom line is this a great piece and I will become a Raven user eventually. It's uses an iLok which is not my favorite. Slate does things a bit different from other companies on installs but they have great support videos that walk you through their system. Having to log into the site name and password every time is a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

So I got on up early and spent the whole day on the mixer. It’s kind of a bummer because I have a defective unit. It’s a hardware issue that makes the screen look like you booted up in safe mode and sometimes it just does the watusi. But I marched on.

I set up on another system to test. I was not about to tear up the studio until I tested it. I got through 90% of the functions and it really does work. The batch commands are amazing and speed things up. The key is to make your own batch commands for the way you like to work.

The faders feel great. When the screen sits in front of you it is a different ergonomic feel then hand on mouse and looking straight ahead. It’s like reading a book or looking slightly down on a giant iPad similar to a Sony Tap 20 phablet which I use for video broadcast on Black Magic. You can prop it up but that will play games with the stereo field. So having it at a the flat horizontal angle like a regular console in front of you is how it won’t screw with the stereo image. I would also recommend sound absorption under it to stop any issues like concave reflection.

The way it works is the mixer floats over DP… that is really cool. One button and the mixer disappears and there is DP9. It works so much better then the Mackie MCU Pro and 2 XT’s I have used for years. Those mixers just did not line up with the screens and always felt disconnected. You can bank 24 channels at a time. What also works great to just slide your finger over the mixer and scroll to get at the addtional channels.

Some of the pre-made batch commands don’t do what they are supposed to. Like a Vox AC30 pops up instead of a dynamic processor listed. But that can be easily edited. The Slate remote for iPhone and iPad is pretty cool. Lots of functions

There was a product out last year called the V-PRO. It used NIFI and worked ok. Problem it was to small on an iPad... Slate is using that software to interface. There are some things on DP9 that are just too small to work with touch even though it’s a 27 inch monitor. But the size is very usable. I would go for 34 inch Ultra HD monitor like LG makes but Slate probably tried that and the 3440x1440 aspect ration was too small for touch. So the mouse is not going away anytime soon. I noticed myself driving with one hand and shifting with the other like a stick shift. It feels fine.

I am hoping Slate will get me another unit right away. I wil practice for a couple more days then change my whole studio around to make this happen. But alas I may need to wait a while unless Slate steps in and helps me out. If not it’s another month or two until Sweetwater gets another shipment. So it's bitter sweet since I got a lemon I made lemonade and when the new one comes it will highly impact how I work. I am a convert. This is really the cutting edge and these things will probably get cheaper and better as new revs come out. But at $1000 bucks I can roll with a new version every year or two. The good thing is there will be so many people wanting to buy a used one since it fits right into the home studio or pro set up… It’s not soup yet but the new updates after user feedback will just make these things better and better.
waxman