Pitch Shifter Recommendation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jloeb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Pitch Shifter Recommendation?

Post by jloeb »

That would be a resounding yes.

And, since I need this capability, it ends, at long last, my multi-yearly on-again-off-again flirtation with upgrading to MachFive 3; it's a go. Looked at the price on IRCAM Labs TS ($250!) and - with everything else in the MV3 package, upgrading is a true no-brainer. Wish I had done it way back when.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

"Liking" so that I can retrieve this link later!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:
jloeb wrote:Out of curiosity: Is there a way to use MachFive 3 to, for example, timestretch/timecompress a 4-minute long file? Or is that sort of job solely the province of external solutions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scz8Kh2Cd2g
I've seen that video and done that in real life, and it still blows my mind. Maybe having used all the methods that DON'T work creates a mind-set which is permanently blown by methods that DO work.

Love it!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Shooshie wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
jloeb wrote:Out of curiosity: Is there a way to use MachFive 3 to, for example, timestretch/timecompress a 4-minute long file? Or is that sort of job solely the province of external solutions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scz8Kh2Cd2g
I've seen that video and done that in real life, and it still blows my mind. Maybe having used all the methods that DON'T work creates a mind-set which is permanently blown by methods that DO work.

Love it!
Why don't they incorporate this algorithm in DP?!?!?!? :mumble:
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Tesionman wrote: Why don't they incorporate this algorithm in DP?!?!?!? :mumble:
Undoubtedly, it's a licensing issue. From the look of things, MF3 came from UVI and they have the deal with IRCAM.

I agree that it would certainly be handy to have right in DP.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Rick Cornish wrote: I agree that it would certainly be handy to have right in DP.
No kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've said the same thing. I've also said that MOTU needs to bundle MachFive into DP as a standard part of the app, woven into the workflow.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Shooshie wrote:I've said the same thing. I've also said that MOTU needs to bundle MachFive into DP as a standard part of the app, woven into the workflow.

Shoosh
THAT would be epic.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There's IRCAM LAB TS. I tried the demo. It works well in standalone mode, but I didn't try anything other than transposing finished mixes, which it did nicely.

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info ... ts_id=1680
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:There's IRCAM LAB TS. I tried the demo. It works well in standalone mode, but I didn't try anything other than transposing finished mixes, which it did nicely.

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info ... ts_id=1680
Is there any functionality found in this that MachFive 3.2.1 cannot do? I never noticed any so didn't give it a second look.

I believe that the $195 price for what it does is a good deal but, with the crossgrade to MV3 at $295 and so many products qualifying (including Main Stage and Logic Pro because of EXS24) it was a no-brainier for me. It turned out that I owned four qualifying products at the time I made the move.

https://www.motu.com/store_products/upgrades/machfive/

Of course, if you have an earlier version of MV, the upgrade is $179.

There are times I wonder when a new version might be released but I can't think of any features I would want to add. Oh, I wouldn't mind if it was bundled with a future version of DP…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Twisted Wave include a time stretch/compress pitch shifting tool:

ZTX Time Stretch/Pitch Shift technology
Change Pitch and Speed
TwistedWave allows you to change the pitch or the speed of a piece of audio independently of each other.

This capability is provided with the ZTX Time Stretch/Pitch Shift technology, licensed from Zynaptiq GmbH, one of the most advanced algorithms for time-based manipulation of audio material available today. With an excellent audio quality, it is really usable for pro audio work.

The ZTX technology also enables TwistedWave to perform pitch correction. Given a piece of audio, ZTX will automatically pitch shift it to the closest note.

Normally $80, these guys have it for $15 today. Update: Oct 12. 1am PDT, the web site now says ending in 20 hours.

https://deals.cultofmac.com/sales/twist ... lity-mixes

You can sign up for an email coupon that gives you 10% off your first order – it worked (I also bought Scrivner 2 severely discounted).

I've no idea if ZTX iss any good. I bought Twisted Wave to do batch conversion of FLAC audio. Since I have MachFive3, I'm unlikely to use ZTX but…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro