Mac Rumors: works and what doesn't in El Cap

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Rumors: works and what doesn't in El Cap

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Re: Mac Rumors: works and what doesn't in El Cap

Post by bayswater »

It says DP 9 doesn't work. But there is at least one report here that it does work.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Damn? that that puts me out of the running for sure.

Audio MIDI Setup.app is part of OSX, that's having issues? :mumble:
FCP???

TechTool Pro 7 to be expected.

Logitech, that rules me out until it's sorted.

This is also saying DP9 is not working?? anyway, El Capitan isn't disappearing tomorrow, always good to wait until the dust settles.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We don't know how up to date this is. And if you look below in the discussion there are reports that conflict with the larger report at the top.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

All the early posts were done in June. At some point, dates stop appearing. Useless list as presented.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thought it might be. I already have EC updates for things in the "doesn't work" list.
MIDI Life Crisis

I suppose that's comfoting. The news from Make Music today wasn't...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=60615
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I suppose that's comfoting. The news from Make Music today wasn't...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=60615
Yea... I'll likely use another boot drive to run Finale 2024. An inconvenience but not major.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

That list didn't include most plug-in vendors, such as UAD.

One thing's for sure - while DP 9.01 may work in El Cap, a lot of plug-ins and VI's won't.
UA will undoubtedly wait weeks, if not months, before they annunce that UAD-2 plug-ins are
El Cap compatible.

Unless there is an absolute necessity to move to El Cap (and at this time I don't see one),
I'd wait at least two to three months before upgrading to it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

FWIW and for those interested, the 2006/2007 Mac Pros are now fully ready for El Capitan, as, again, a few programmers have given much of their time and energy to make this possible. There are extensive threads about the subject on MacRumors, so I thought it would be worth mentioning. 8)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:That list didn't include most plug-in vendors, such as UAD.

One thing's for sure - while DP 9.01 may work in El Cap, a lot of plug-ins and VI's won't.
UA will undoubtedly wait weeks, if not months, before they annunce that UAD-2 plug-ins are
El Cap compatible.

Unless there is an absolute necessity to move to El Cap (and at this time I don't see one),
I'd wait at least two to three months before upgrading to it.
I hope it's better than that. Apple says anything running on 10.10 will run on 10.11, but I suspect they mean that anything fully compliant with 10.10 will run on 10.11. But this is why we have test partitions.
MIDI Life Crisis

And now this from Native Instruments...

CRITICAL compatibility warning with the upcoming Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan upgrade

Before upgrading to the latest version of Mac OS X – version 10.11 El Capitan, please consider these potentially serious issues concerning your KOMPLETE, TRAKTOR, and MASCHINE products. Two major issues have been identified:

1. NI plug-ins do not pass the AUDIO UNITS validation in Mac OS X 10.11 – Logic Pro affected
In Mac OS X 10.11, Native Instruments AUDIO UNITS plug-ins will not pass the AU validation and will therefore not be available in Logic Pro. The root cause of this issue has been identified and a solution is currently being developed in close contact with Apple.

2. Incompatibility with some older NI hardware
There are compatibility issues between some older NI devices and Apple’s upcoming operating system. This issue triggers a 'kernel panic' – this serious problem will crash the connected computer immediately, resulting in loss of any unsaved work, or serious disruption of a performance.

The following hardware is affected:
TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
TRAKTOR KONTROL X1 (MK1)
TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
AUDIO 8 DJ
AUDIO 4 DJ
AUDIO 2 DJ
MASCHINE (MK1)
GUITAR RIG 3 (RIG KONTROL 3 hardware)
There are beta drivers already available that fix this issue. Updated drivers will be released as soon as they have been fully tested on OS X 10.11 – shortly after Apple releases OS X 10.11 to the public.

Download the beta drivers here

To keep your system working normally with the affected products, we strongly recommend waiting before upgrading your computer to OS X 10.11 El Capitan until these issues have been fully solved by either Native Instruments or Apple.

Stay up to date on all future developments regarding Mac OS X 10.11 compatibility here

Thank you for your attention,

The Native Instruments team
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got the same issue from NI.I wonder how much of an issue it is, frankly.

I don't recall Logic or DP re-authorizing plugins after an OS upgrade. Anyone else? Some of us will find out tomorrow, I suppose – I guess that will be my first test after I do the update. I rarely use any of my NI plugs so it won't affect me in the short term if there's an issue.

If you have Logic Pro X and haven't updated to 10.2 yet, probably a good idea to do so first, then run it so that everything passes.

I don't own any NI hardware. That appears to be the immediate concern.

I'm cloning a spare drive as I always do so that I can run initial tests before loading it onto my main drive.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's nice to see Native Instruments ahead of the curve. When I got so disgusted with NI, they were treating the Mac like a stepchild, and DP was the stepchild's goat. Just getting a driver downloaded was a hassle, and they were in no hurry to make them work with the latest OS of the time.

If this is a consistent trend, I may return to Kontakt one of these days. I have the latest version installed; I just don't use it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A little more light on the issue. What I found on the UVI site:

OS X 10.11 COMPATIBILITY NOTICE:

UVI products are compatible with OS X 10.11 — but we have experienced some issues with the new Audio Unit validation tool when using Logic Pro X and Main Stage.
Our initial assessment is that a new version of the AudioUnit spec (3) has been implemented and many plug-ins will no longer pass validation.
We currently recommend that you DO NOT upgrade your system to 10.11 until this issue is solved.

If you have already upgraded, or do so inadvertently, we do have a workaround (by reverting to the old version of the AUValTool), please follow these steps:
1. Disable 'System Integrity Protection' by rebooting into Recovery mode: press Cmd+R at system startup. Learn more
2. Open Utilities >Terminal, then type in "csrutil disable" (without quotes) and press enter
3. (to restart your Mac, type in "reboot" and press enter)
4. Download old version of AUValTool, available here
5. Open Finder, click 'Go to Folder' from menu 'Go' and type "/usr/bin" (without quotes)
6. Search for the file AUValTool and make a copy to your desktop (in case you need to put it back)
7. Replace AUValTool in the '/usr/bin' folder with the one you have downloaded in step 3
8. Restart Logic / Main Stage, open an empty project, go to Preferences > Plug-in Manager and select your UVI plug-in then Rescan
Feel free to contact our support if you have any questions.