Mac Rumors: works and what doesn't in El Cap

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac Rumors: works and what doesn't in El Cap

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

BobK wrote:Here's a helpful - though incomplete - list of El Capitan compatibility at Sweetwater's web site.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... formation/
Thanks, BobK. I think it's safe to declare El Cap a disaster area. No effin way it'll be on my machines any time soon.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:And then there's this:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2988941 ... tk.rss_all
Oh my!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yes, things are a bit chaotic at the moment for those who want (or who already chose) to upgrade to El Capitan. But this isn't the first time it's happened. Anyone working with computers for very long has seen these situations come and go. Soon all will be back to normal, and those running El Capitan will be happily enjoying all its benefits in a crash-free environment with all or most of their favorite software updated to work with it.

Just give it some time.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I never remember it being this rampant, especially with multiple developers suggesting not to update.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Yes, things are a bit chaotic at the moment for those who want (or who already chose) to upgrade to El Capitan. But this isn't the first time it's happened. Anyone working with computers for very long has seen these situations come and go. Soon all will be back to normal, and those running El Capitan will be happily enjoying all its benefits in a crash-free environment with all or most of their favorite software updated to work with it.

Just give it some time.

Shooshie
+1
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I never remember it being this rampant, especially with multiple developers suggesting not to update.
They don't mean "don't ever update to El Capitan." They're just caught off-guard. Apple didn't keep them in the loop, or they didn't take seriously some part of Apple's guidelines that never mattered before.

Whatever the reason; they're just asking for time to fix it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

And they shall have it! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I guess it depends on what software is in your arsenal. I've installed El Capitan on my test drive, and it's working quite nicely. The only software that has given me trouble is Finale. For those with lots of the affected software, it must be a nightmare. Luck of the draw, I guess. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

DP 9.01 and all my plugs run fine in 10.11 and 10.11.1 beta.. UAD plugs (2 quad cards), Waves, Goodhertz, Klangheim, Kush, Wave Arts, Arturia, Toontrack, Slate, and DSP Quattro 4 too.. DP seems to really like 10.11 for me. ..old Mac Pro 2.8, which seems much snappier in 10.11.. Antelope Orion and an RME MADI FX.. YMMV
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

I've edited the MacRumors list to add reason to the "working" list. I have 7.1.2 which is working just fine, and Propellerheads mentions there's no problem with 8 either. As for Komplete, I mentioned the AU validation issue was affecting Logic only.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
MIDI Life Crisis

So now all we need to worry about is MOTU hardware and Finale not functioning at all. What could possibly go wrong? Also saw the NI "fix" in another thread here this morning. Again, I'll pass as the new OS isn't offering too much that's new.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks to all who have contributed and continue to report on this topic. It doesn't look like a broad, system wide fix is imminent.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

It seems to me the AU problems are coming from a new version of AU, AU 3 which has as it's main selling point the ability to work on iOS. So far I haven't read anything about AU's in Garageband or Logic being able to pass MIDI between each other like VST 2.4 can. (What the heck? Apple What the heck?) There's probably a bit of code on the Logic/Garageband side that also was written to comply with AU3 standards, so it would make sense that DP9 would be a bit behind on compliance there seeing as how secretive Apple is about release dates with these improvements etc.

AU lags behind desktop systems VS VST3 or 2.4 for that matter, in favor of iOS... :roll:

Side note, it's likely a shortcoming of Logic that holds AU back from MIDI instrument out. Logic has a very unique internal wiring from what developers have told me over the years, unique being code for ticking them off! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It doesn't look like a broad, system wide fix is imminent.
…or necessary.

Fixing usb to allow 3rd party MIDI and multi-channel drivers needs to happen, of course. Since FW and TB do work, I don't see this as impossible. But really, 10.11 should have been delayed till someone got it working. I forget what early OS release hosed everyone's FireWire implementation for awhile but I am reminded of that – was it 9?

Finale has always done a lot of strange things under the hood. I'm surprised as much of it works as it does given Apple's new insistence that everything adhere to the Toolkit. This is probably (hopefully) causing a lot of work to be done. It will be nice if the product is improved.

The AU3 issue seems to be confined to Logic as was announced (and ignored by nearly everybody). Let Apple get it right first in Logic, I suppose. In the mean time, Logic, GarageBand and DP 7.24 & 8.07 are all working fine here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro