DP Reverb

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
comp15
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Reverb

Post by comp15 »

What is the best built-in reverb for DP that you recommend?
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
guitardood

Re: DP Reverb

Post by guitardood »

Depends on what you're using it for. I mostly use the UAD verbs, but I have used the Spring reverb on a couple guitar tracks and ProVerb for a room verb on both vox and drums.

The really cool thing about ProVerb is how easy it is to use other IR (impulse response) files available all over the net by just dragging and dropping them on the ProVerb instance. When I was trying to find the best MIC-less guitar recording method, at one point, I had a Hughes&Kettner amp with their built in direct box (redbox) for which they provided cabinet IR files that I used with ProVerb for cabinet simulation.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

ProVerb is great! You must first assign an input and output via the usual means. Then you can start loading Impulse Responses (IRs) and check out all the amazing spaces you can have.

ProVerb is a convolution reverb, so it can very faithfully reproduce not only real spaces, but great reverb units. The only thing a convolution doesn't do much of is the kind of pitch swirly thing, but you can always do that with another plugin.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I agree with those using ProVerb. I've been using the included factory reverbs, and I like the results. Get something that's about the length you like, then adjust the wet/dry mix.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
slab
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by slab »

UltraReverb from Eventide!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

slab wrote:UltraReverb from Eventide!
Not "Built-In". But it's great.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

The inbuilt plate reverb is highly underrated IMHO

It sits really well in a mix and is very tweakable...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been rediscovering MOTU's Plate Reverb in DP. It was my main reverb many years ago, but when I got Altiverb, I made the classic mistake of thinking that anything Plate Reverb could do, Altiverb could do better, because the latter is more expensive, I guess.

A few days ago a singer asked for a reverb for tracking, and I stuck the plate on there. It was gorgeous! After the Plate, I could not find anything in Altiverb that satisfied. I'm thinking of leaving it in the final mix.

And the redesign of the interface is great! I had not seen it since they did that. It may have been redone years ago, or maybe just in DP9; I really don't know, but it's really a nice plugin now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kassonica wrote:The inbuilt plate reverb is highly underrated IMHO

+1 based on comments I've seen over the years. Oh, and G'day Mark!

Shooshie, I look forward to checking the new interface and plug out at some point. I'd not heard of a re-design either.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

+1 on ProVerb. It's not perfect for everything, but it works on an awful lot, it sounds great, and it's so easy to use... I love that I don't have to use an additional EQ on it; I can just quickly adjust its onboard 4-band EQ. I also think that the factory IRs that come with DP are surprisingly usable.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd pick an IR of a plate over the plate reverb in DP any day. IMHO.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

kassonica

Post by kassonica »

monkey man wrote:
kassonica wrote:The inbuilt plate reverb is highly underrated IMHO

+1 based on comments I've seen over the years. Oh, and G'day Mark!

Shooshie, I look forward to checking the new interface and plug out at some point. I'd not heard of a re-design either.
Hey ya Nicky

One of these days expect a visit....

Found ya number

:)
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

stubbsonic wrote:I'd pick an IR of a plate over the plate reverb in DP any day. IMHO.
so disagree...

Most the plates that come with Proverb I can't use...

The plate verb has something original going on, you just have to tweak it...

PS I know this could be controversial, But I've never liked the sound of proverb even with really decent IR's, has always sounded 2 dimensional to me... Triple that when I started useing a PCM70 instead.... Chalk and cheese completely, 70 sounds lush, open, deep, Proverb sounds tiny...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's just an individual taste thing, I'm sure. If a reverb has a texture I don't like, I might fiddle with it for a bit, but I have to love the sound of the reverb, then dial in the mix level and decay that I like. If I'm trying to hide it because I hate it, I just try something else.

The IRs with DP seem fine to me, but I also have a pretty big selection of other IRs that I like too.

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

yamguitar wrote:+1 on ProVerb. It's not perfect for everything, but it works on an awful lot, it sounds great, and it's so easy to use... I love that I don't have to use an additional EQ on it; I can just quickly adjust its onboard 4-band EQ. I also think that the factory IRs that come with DP are surprisingly usable.
+1. I found a Med Hall +Stage setting that I tweaked a bit with +18 predelay, it became part of my default template and I rarely had to think about using something else, esp. with drums and vocals. It just 'worked'. As much as I enjoy tweaking reverbs and delays I was honestly surprised not long ago that I hadn't actively searched out other options.

That changed a few months ago and now I own most of the current fave raves, some great ITB reverbs that all together probably cost less than a mid level reverb hardware box. I don't regret any of my purchases, some really great stuff to explore, but last night I put up a file I began last year and was admiring how good the reverb sounded. Yep, Proverb.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.