DP Reverb

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Reverb

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Shooshie wrote:I've been rediscovering MOTU's Plate Reverb in DP. It was my main reverb many years ago, but when I got Altiverb, I made the classic mistake of thinking that anything Plate Reverb could do, Altiverb could do better, because the latter is more expensive, I guess.

A few days ago a singer asked for a reverb for tracking, and I stuck the plate on there. It was gorgeous! After the Plate, I could not find anything in Altiverb that satisfied. I'm thinking of leaving it in the final mix.

And the redesign of the interface is great! I had not seen it since they did that. It may have been redone years ago, or maybe just in DP9; I really don't know, but it's really a nice plugin now.

Shooshie
When I worked at IBC studios in London in the 1970's we used to use plate echo mixed with tape delay. To me that always sounded "right" and I tend to use a combination of the Plate setting and a tape delay mixed in. It then sounds like a natural echo - to me anyway. So the Motu built ins can give a good emulation.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kassonica wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:I'd pick an IR of a plate over the plate reverb in DP any day. IMHO.
so disagree...

Most the plates that come with Proverb I can't use...

The plate verb has something original going on, you just have to tweak it...
So it seems. I only tried it several years back, but it was super-smooth and easy on the ear.
kassonica wrote:PS I know this could be controversial, But I've never liked the sound of proverb even with really decent IR's, has always sounded 2 dimensional to me... Triple that when I started useing a PCM70 instead.... Chalk and cheese completely, 70 sounds lush, open, deep, Proverb sounds tiny...
There's a depth and spaciousness to the Lex units that can't be beat in my experience, Mark, so it's probably not a fair comparison, especially as even IRs of said units can't capture the modulations on offer by the hardware and software Lex products.
kassonica wrote:
monkey man wrote:
kassonica wrote:...Oh, and G'day Mark!
Hey ya Nicky... One of these days expect a visit.... Found ya number
'Bout time, bro'!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

I find ProVerb with Bricasti IRs to be a whole 'nuther beast.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Todzilla wrote:I find ProVerb with Bricasti IRs to be a whole 'nuther beast.
Which website would you recommend for Bricasti IR's? I'm fortunate enough to own a Bricasti and they really are the mutts nuts, but only having one means printing to the computer to have multiples. Always on the look out for alternative software reverbs. FWIW the waves H Reverb is very good, extremely powerful from the deep editing point of view and PSP's spring reverb is wicked.

Sorry for drifting off topic.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

If you Google it, Sean, the free sets should show up; it's been posted in many a location over the years.

There's, for instance, the Bricasti M7 24/48 set from Acousticas, and the Bricasti M7 24/96 one from Signaltonoize.

I've kept just these two as there's a little overlap with the room impulses.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

monkey man wrote:If you Google it, Sean, the free sets should show up; it's been posted in many a location over the years.

There's, for instance, the Bricasti M7 24/48 set from Acousticas, and the Bricasti M7 24/96 one from Signaltonoize.

I've kept just these two as there's a little overlap with the room impulses.
Thanks, I'll get busy with that.

Regards

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/