CueMix Talkback question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CueMix Talkback question

Post by Shooshie »

I've been using a regular channel for my talkback mic. I just do a quick switch to CueMix and turn it on or off. It's not convenient, but it's become habitual, so I just keep doing it. The thing is, I used to have Talkback set up, but it was a long time ago, on a different device with a completely different version of CueMix. Now I can't figure out how to configure the talkback channel. The "Configure Talkback" menu is grayed out, and I have not been able to figure out how to make it operable.

Further, I want to connect the talkback channel to a pedal. Has anyone done that? Is it even possible? If anyone has set this up, and can describe it simply, please do. I don't want to dig out that manual! (but I will if I have to)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Re: CueMix Talkback question

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, knowing that I'm often the guy who answers CueMix questions, I figured I'd better start digging for that manual. Fortunately, it wasn't buried as badly as I thought.

SO, I've determined that I can plug in a pedal, then program it to do COMMAND-T on downstroke, then COMMAND-L on the upstroke, for Talkback and Listenback, respectively.

I still have two questions:
1) Will the pedal work if CueMix is not the active app, but is in the background? Since it's plugged into the 896mk3, do those two commands stay in the box (which is what I want), or do they activate Time and Shift, respectively, in Digital Performer, if DP is the active app? (which is NOT what I want)

2) How do you get the "Configure Talkback" menu to be active? Or, more specifically, how do you set up the I/O channels for talking so that there are no surprises.

I can't answer question 1 until I get question 2 answered, then connect talkback as it's supposed to be connected. I've gotten close, but it seems like CueMix is trying to use all channels for inputs, and all channels for outputs. That has caused feedback loops of unimaginable consequence, when I thought everything was going to be confined to certain channels, not going through monitors.

Back to the manual, which makes it sound so easy.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've learned from experimentation that the "Configure Talkback" menu is not a part of the 896mk3. It's for my old 1296, only. It brings up a nice little dialog in which you can set your outputs for talkback and listenback. Not so for the 896mk3.

Also on the 1296 CueMix interface, there is a menu for each button, Talkback and Listenback, which selects the input channel to which your mic is connected for each. Very simple. Very straight-ahead.

I may just have to use the 1296 for it. Seems easier than figuring out the 896mk3, but I'd really like to figure out the latter, because that's the box I take with me for remote sessions. I've never used talkback in a remote session, always being in the room with the performers, but I've often wanted to set up in a separate room and communicate via talkback. Never done it in a remote session.

I'm sure once you figure out the logic of it, it's one of those "why didn't I see that?" moments, but right now I feel like a blind man in a china shop, afraid to move for fear of breaking something. I mean, it doesn't take but a couple of feedback loops to make you afraid to try anything at all. I've got all speakers off, now, but the fear remains.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

OK, I think I may have identified a problem. In the 896mk3 CueMix FX interface, it seems that no matter how you set it, Talkback is going to broadcast on ALL CHANNELS. It's supposed to broadcast only on the channel you focus on, then click "Talk" in the Channel tab of the interface.

But once you've done that, you can click "Focus" on another output pair, and the "Talk" button remains lit. It should go off. It should only light on the pair you focused on and set it to respond to. But no matter which pair I activate (Focus), the Talk button remains lit. THAT is why I got a feedback loop, and that's why this is just freaking not going to work.

I'll have to plug it into the 1296. I think that will work. I've used that one before. But I'm hoping that the footswitch will still operate talkback even though it can only be plugged into the 896mk3.

I also think that I will have to switch the active app to CueMix when I want it to work, but that's not a problem. That's the easy part. The hard part was navigating the mouse to that tiny button and clicking it when you want to talk instantly to someone.

So CueMix is not perfect. First I have to find out if I'm right about the focus problem for talkback. If I haven't overlooked some setting somewhere, then I need to contact MOTU and tell them there is a bug. Operating CueMix is interesting. IT's a joy when you figure out how it works, for there are SO MANY things it can do. This baby is loaded with power. It's like having an analog board in front of you, but one that's only accessible through a single mouse. (unless you have a control surface) But the programming and logic of CueMix FX remind me a little of the MS-DOS days of PCs. It was designed programmed in a very "exactly to spec" sort of way, the way most apps end up when you send some programming shop your specs, and they send it back exactly the way you asked, without regard for user friendliness, or design enhancements that would make it more usable. MOTU is trying, but until they program it themselves, and do so with user feedback in mind, CueMix is going to be a byzantine puzzle, bestowing great power on anyone who figures out its keys. Unlock the puzzle, and you will like CueMix very much, but you'll always be cursing under your breath because they didn't make it a little more obvious and user-friendly in the process.

So, this question is still unresolved, but as I see it, all signs are pointing to a programming error.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, folks, sorry for the conversation with myself. I just had to figure this out, and I was hoping someone was lurking out there who had done this and could tell me exactly the steps they took to make it work.

I have to conclude that Talkback is not ready for prime time. While it can be made to work, control of outputs and volume leave much to be desired, making it scary to use, even with headphones instead of monitors. If you want to pursue it, you can probably make it work with some careful attention to procedure, but while you are testing, keep your monitors off, and keep your headphone levels low.

And by the way, the footswitch sends a signal directly to your Mac, equivalent to a keyboard command. You set up the command it sends via the MOTU Audio Setup utility, under the "General" tab. If you want it to activate Talkback, you'd set it to COMMAND-T. I highly recommend also setting the pedal-off click to the same command, so that when you release the pedal it turns off Talkback. Otherwise, you will have to press it twice. It's a sticky command. You want to be able to get off that pedal quickly if something goes wrong.

To make it work, you'll have to COMMAND-TAB to CueMix, and the 896mk3 (or whatever box you've got it plugged into) will have to be the active interface window.

Shooshie
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

You have a manual? I would love to see an incarnation thereof. Where might I find one?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:You have a manual? I would love to see an incarnation thereof. Where might I find one?
Well, I only bought the 896mk3 in about April. The manual hadn't had time to sink to the lowest point — accessibility-wise — in the household. Still riding just under the surface. A dive or two... and I came up with it in hand, without even running out of breath!

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sorry, nobody else can post in this thread. It's all mine. MINE, I tells ya!

Seriously, does anyone else have experience setting up the talkback feature on the 896mk3? I spent more time at it today, only to get even more bamboozled than before. If I had a Shure SM58 with a switch on it (seems like that's a slightly different model number), it would be no problem. But I'm using a phantom powered mic, and doing this all in the box. I'd really like that talkback button to work like it should. Too loud. Too unpredictable.

I'm probably going to have to put it on my Mackie board or something. This ain't workin'.

Shoosh
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Had ours set up in years past but it was an all PCI rig. So I doubt my input means anything.

we had assigned the mic to an input, and then had to choose that input as the source for TB in the pull down/check box. Then toggled with cmd T I believe. The thing we didn't care for was that we had to tie up an input on HD192 just for TB, but that was the cost of doing business I suppose.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

labman wrote:Had ours set up in years past but it was an all PCI rig. So I doubt my input means anything.

we had assigned the mic to an input, and then had to choose that input as the source for TB in the pull down/check box. Then toggled with cmd T I believe. The thing we didn't care for was that we had to tie up an input on HD192 just for TB, but that was the cost of doing business I suppose.
Yeah, that's how it worked on my 1296. It was amazingly easy.
It just seems like they have left out the menus or interfaces or something. It almost works the way they describe in the manual: focus on the channels you want, then click the "Talk" button in the Channel tab. (not the one you push when you want it to operate) It works for the inputs, but not for the outputs. Or something like that.

Shoosh
darrell

Post by darrell »

Talk about monopolizing a conversation! :wink:
timbraun
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by timbraun »

Hey, time to revive a zombie thread! :)

I've got a 828x with CueMix 4.0.8.9606. I had a 2408 system previously, so I'm familiar with the talkback using an
input channel. I'm okay with that.

My question is the same as the question from seven years ago. I've got talk-back / listen-back configured and I can toggle it on and off with Control-T. I've got the pedal connected and I can use it in Cakewalk (presumably other apps) and right now it generates a Control-T, creating a new track in Cakewalk - not as useful as some other commands might be.

However, what I want is to use the pedal to trigger talk-back in CueMix while I have Cakewalk in the foreground - as you would when tracking.

1. The pedal generates a Control-T but doesn't trigger talk-back in CueMix, even when CueMix is in the foreground. Does anyone have the pedal on the 828x doing anything to CueMix?
2. It seems sending a pedal message to CueMix with Cakewalk in the foreground isn't going to happen. Has anybody got this working with any DAW app?

One idea would be some third-party macro / keyboard shim app that would watch the pedal and tell CueMix what to do.

BTW this forum was exceptionally helpful getting the 828x to work at all with a USB3 interface running Windows.

Thanks!
Tim