Totally bizarre software/hardware problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Totally bizarre software/hardware problem

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm using DP with an Apogee Ensemble at home, and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 when I'm traveling.

When I'm at home, the output levels are all fine.

When I use the Focusrite instead, my DP output meters are pinning.

I can hear distortion on playback.

Same project, no changes whatsoever except plugging into the different interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Totally bizarre software/hardware problem

Post by bayswater »

Maybe a problem with the settings in Focusrite mix control panel?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I started a reply, but I don't know the answer. It set off a rant, though, on why it's not easier to get a signal from start to end without distorting it somewhere up the chain. Once you finally get all the settings, it's not so hard, but getting there can be a lengthy process.

Anyway, I moved my rant to another post, so as not to distract from this one.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=60595

Please tend to this thread before jumping to that one!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'll look at that, thanks!

It is initially weird to me, because it's all happening in DP, not Focusrite's Mix Control.

I don't understand this part...does DP look at what interface you have and somehow change it's gain structure? That doesn't made sense to me, although I guess anything could be true.

I thought DP just looked at hardware as inputs and outputs, and didn't change any kind of gain-structure internally to match it.

It's not that DP would care about the Focusrite being @ +4 or -10, it just sends audio out of the DAW?

Or maybe there is something I don't understand about how DP sees hardware?

Anyways...I'll look at what you said, and THANKS!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Have you checked the levels in the Audio MIDI Setup?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I'll look at that, thanks!

It is initially weird to me, because it's all happening in DP, not Focusrite's Mix Control.

I don't understand this part...does DP look at what interface you have and somehow change it's gain structure? That doesn't made sense to me, although I guess anything could be true.

I thought DP just looked at hardware as inputs and outputs, and didn't change any kind of gain-structure internally to match it.

It's not that DP would care about the Focusrite being @ +4 or -10, it just sends audio out of the DAW?

Or maybe there is something I don't understand about how DP sees hardware?

Anyways...I'll look at what you said, and THANKS!
None of the above. DP just outputs a signal at whatever level you set it. I think one problem people can have is that their interface hardware can have bizarre level controls, such that you end up getting in a habit of setting your levels a certain way in DP, and then when you change interfaces, that's no longer valid. (See my rant, linked above) I have no way of telling if that's your problem here, or if it's something entirely unrelated. But DP doesn't change your levels to suit a piece of gear.

One possible issue is the Work Priority setting. (Page 29 of the Getting Started Manual) It is supposed to be set to the maximum that will work on your hardware. MOTU devices allow the highest setting. Some devices need lower settings. Basically (I think; don't quote me on this), that's setting how much priority your CPU allots to DP, vs. how much your other devices need. If you set it too high for DP, some other device may not get enough CPU time. I don't know if that could affect your particular issue or not (probably not), but it's something that popped into my head. Otherwise, I got nuthin'.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey thanks!

I'll check that out!
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
In the case of my Lynx Aurora certain drivers caused the Lynx mixer to establish routings parallel to core audio. So it would be louder and sometimes comb filtered with latency. Once I got the correct driver installed (not the current one) it settled down.

Don
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thanks Don!

That got me wondering...I switch interfaces in DP's studio setup, but not in Audio/MIDI setup.

I wonder if this would have an effect?
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
My situation was pretty bizarre. Any time I changed a setting in the audio engine (buffer size, clock rate etc) it would establish these phantom routings. I could open the lynx mixer and cycle the mutes off then back on and the phantom path would go away. Truly weird behavior.

Try opening Cuemix and or whatever software comes with your interface and see if there are enabled routings when you switch drivers
Don
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
David_Focusrite

Post by David_Focusrite »

HI JSmith1234567,

The behavior you described does sound a bit more DAW related but it will be good to open MixControl and go to: File > Clear All Settings and then go to File > Restore Factory Defaults.

At that point does the clipping persist in your DAW? If it does can you tell me what version of MixControl you are using along with the version of OSX?

It may be worth populating new Audio MIDI plist files and repairing disk permissions.

To do this close ALL audio programs and then delete the following files:
1. Navigate to Macintosh HD> Library> Preferences> Audio> *Delete both of the .plist files in this folder**
2. With Finder open, click on the "Go" Menu, hold the "Option" key on your keyboard (exposing the Library) and choose Library> Preferences> Delete the "com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist" file

Once deleted go to Finder > Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and choose your Mac HD and select repair disk permissions. Once done, empty the trash and reboot.

What are your findings?

Best,
David // Focusrite Technical Support