DP Control Dead...Good alternative?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Control Dead...Good alternative?

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Now that DP Control seems to have been abandoned my MOTU (unless someone has different knowledge?), any votes for a good, simple alternative?

I tried Touch OSC awhile ago, but had trouble getting it to work. This is no knock on it...it's just my technical skills are very limited.

Anyone had luck with this or others?

I have pretty simple needs, just a fader or two I want to run remotely from my IPhone.

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control Dead...Good alternative?

Post by Robert Randolph »

V-control pro, https://neyrinck.com

It has always been better than DP control. I use it on my gen 1 iPad and it's just a pleasure to use.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

How does it work?

Do you have to install something on the mac and the iOS device?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bayswater wrote:Look at this first.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60545
V-Control 2 is out and it's working fine here.

I don't think you can buy V1 any more?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:

Don't know. But there was confusion over the updates and I wanted to make sure the OP saw the discussion.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I still have V1, But you must install V2 on your computer as they through NeyFi out the window.

Had a flawless recording yesterday with it. I used it to control my machine from a distance.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

Don't know. But there was confusion over the updates and I wanted to make sure the OP saw the discussion.
FYI, I don't think Neyrinck V Control Pro is available anymore from Apple AppStore. It was pulled and hasn't come back. There is a different app with the same name "V-Control Pro" (note the dash in the name) from a different developer, but that one has no reviews. So buyer beware.

Also, an app called DAW Control works with DP. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... 25383?mt=8
Last edited by billf on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I've been trying one called Ac-x Mini this AM.

It's pretty neat, though it's too soon to see of it is solid.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ac-7-co ... mpt=uo%3D4

It works via Bluetooth, so you enable it in via Bluetooth in Audio/MIDI Setup, and also hit a button in the app on your IPhone or iPad to "advertise" (i.e. connect). Then you are connected.

It's failed once (had to restart the IPhone), and I'm not getting 2-way (return) communication yet (no bars and beats display yet).

I emailed the developer early this AM, but so far no reply.

I'll update this at some point.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Just noticed...they may be in Japan, so that may be the reason I haven't heard back yet!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Touch OSC template that might be worth a look: http://www.stagetaken.com/product/digit ... -for-ipad/

The misspelling of 'Perfomer' is a bit of a worry, but otherwise looks interesting. I haven't tried it yet.

They have posted here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... en#p511099
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bolla

Post by bolla »

The Protools control app works well with DP.
It's free.
It has an overview, like a timeline, at the top which shows all the tracks and their assigned colour.
It highlights the currently selected track and also the current bank.
This makes selecting/moving around very easy.
You can also assign a bunch of soft keys.

It does feel a bit like cheating on the missus though....
AB
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
bralston

Post by bralston »

billf wrote: FYI, I don't think Neyrinck V Control Pro is available anymore from Apple AppStore. It was pulled and hasn't come back. There is a different app with the same name "V-Control Pro" (note the dash in the name) from a different developer, but that one has no reviews. So buyer beware.

Also, an app called DAW Control works with DP. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... 25383?mt=8
It is the same developer...they are changing their business model and rebranding things. The app now is apparently a subscription model pricing with a yearly fee to keep running. I no longer recommend V-Control Pro to anyone. It was great. Now no more in my opinion.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
labman

Post by labman »

With the Neyrinck V Control Pro V2, can you drop markers?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
billf

Post by billf »

bralston wrote:It is the same developer...they are changing their business model and rebranding things. The app now is apparently a subscription model pricing with a yearly fee to keep running. I no longer recommend V-Control Pro to anyone. It was great. Now no more in my opinion.
I agree with you about V Control Pro. It sounds like it's a mess.

But what is a good replacement? The Pro Tools Control mentioned upthread? The OSC template for DP mentioned earlier?

I really wish MOTU would just update DP Control.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1