DP Control Dead...Good alternative?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control Dead...Good alternative?

Post by stubbsonic »

bolla wrote:The Protools control app works well with DP.
It's free.
It has an overview, like a timeline, at the top which shows all the tracks and their assigned colour.
It highlights the currently selected track and also the current bank.
This makes selecting/moving around very easy.
You can also assign a bunch of soft keys.

It does feel a bit like cheating on the missus though....
AB
Seems like a nice alternative to DP control, but I get what you mean.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

This is a way-too-cool app!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

stubbsonic wrote:
It's free.
It has an overview, like a timeline, at the top which shows all the tracks and their assigned colour.

AB
How do you set that up?

Got it - EUCON
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

BKK-OZ wrote:Touch OSC template that might be worth a look: http://www.stagetaken.com/product/digit ... -for-ipad/

The misspelling of 'Perfomer' is a bit of a worry, but otherwise looks interesting. I haven't tried it yet.

They have posted here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... en#p511099

Scratch that DP template.

This version was posted without it being complete or fully tested and not backed by me (I'm the guy developing it). Time permitting I should have a version out in a couple months that works and is pretty cool. Assign busses and recall channel presets are among some of the features.
You can wait for my vetted version or get something else but DO NOT get the one thats posted.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm auditioning DAW Control right now, and it looks like a keeper. It can be easily overlooked because it doesn't advertise a DP profile, but its raw "Default" HUI mode works great. $4.99 at The App Store.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Gravity Jim wrote:I'm auditioning DAW Control right now, and it looks like a keeper. It can be easily overlooked because it doesn't advertise a DP profile, but its raw "Default" HUI mode works great. $4.99 at The App Store.
Jim, thanks for this. Worth 5$, but I am confused on some of the finer points, notably the markers don't seem to work as expected. I did a run down on the HUI manual and I'm still a bit confused.

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/30/2939 ... ake=binary
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
billf

Post by billf »

supersonic wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:
It's free.

AB
How do you set that up?

Got it - EUCON
I've had this running controlling DP 9 from my iPad the past couple of days, and so far it's excellent. It also acts as a controller for Logic Pro X. And it's free.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

Gravity Jim wrote:I'm auditioning DAW Control right now, and it looks like a keeper. It can be easily overlooked because it doesn't advertise a DP profile, but its raw "Default" HUI mode works great. $4.99 at The App Store.
I just downloaded this after reading this thread. I've set it up in AudioMidi setup and selected the Mackie Control from Setup>Control surface setup in DP9. It seems to send controller commands as I can use the transport ad faders/pots/buttons, but there is no two-way connection so no time readout, no levels or any other display info on the ipad app.

Do I need to do something specific to get a two-way connection going?

any help appreciated.
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You the need latest version of Eucon Control installed. That requires a download from a site designed by Franz Kafka.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Arumdevil... you don't need any special drivers (it doesn't use Eucon but connects through AMS's Network device). Quit DP, restart your iDevice, and it should come right up. I had the same problem yesterday connecting a different iPad, but just did what it said in the last lines of the setup guide and it worked fine.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"... :lol:

Thanks Jim! I had relaunched DP but that had no effect. I'm guessing rebooting the iPad did the trick as it all seems fine now. It's just a shame the level meters are so hard to see in grey!

:woohoo:
regards,
arum

MacBook Air core i7 1.7ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD , UltraLite MKI FW, StudioLogic 990pro, DP9
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, yeah, but I'm only watching the meters in DP (I have a big meter bridge open all the time... one display is for bridge, mixer, and open plug-in windows, the other for the Consolidated Window). I'm just using the buttons and faders, and I really like it.

Did you notice you can set latency compensation in the network? I have mine at about 10 ms, and it makes DAW Control very responsive and "tactile."
Jim Bordner

arumdevil

Post by arumdevil »

Yeah I did notice the LC but I haven't tried adjusting it yet.

Need a proper chance to play around with the app but it seems pretty good so far.
regards,
arum

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I've been playing around with DAW Control per G. Jim's recommendation, and I've decided it's a winner. I was a bit confused with the function of some of the buttons, but I am using the Mackie Control driver (not HUI) in DP with the default DAW Control in the app. I then edited the Default profile in the app to the Digital Performer Lexan Overlay (help files), and then everything became crystal clear and maximum functionality was obtained. Some of the buttons are a bit small and awkward for me, but the main functions work very well.

The edited overlay (open in a new tab for the whole image):
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: I then edited the Default profile in the app to the Digital Performer Lexan Overlay (help files), and then everything became crystal clear and maximum functionality was obtained.
The help files are in the app?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8