Mix Knob

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mix Knob

Post by supersonic »

Hello everyone,

I am on a quest to finding the perfect solution to the DRY/WET Know issue. As you know, DP doesn't have that functionality built-in like Reaper or perhaps Ableton Live (it would seem, I don't know of the others). Many of the plug-ins I would love to use either in Parallel or MS configuration do not have that possibility (UAD among others). So I asked Mr. Google.
Here are my findings so far

1. Blue Cat Audio PatchWork
2. DDMF MetaPlugin
3. PlugAndMix Chainer

Of those DDMF has the best cost/effect ratio. It is cheap, offers great flexibility. The GUI

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears :-)
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
monkey man

Re: Mix Knob

Post by monkey man »

I so very much understand your wanting this functionality in DP, Supersonic. I'd like it very much too!

I could point to plugs that have it, but it looks like you're looking for a host that runs within DP that allows you to use any plugs you like this way, no?

My template would be so much simpler and smaller should MOTU decide to lay this one on us. I live in hope. IMHO it should be no-brainer simple to implement for all plugs - copy the audio stream, compensate for the processing delay and remix according to the knob settings. Easy, peasy.

Let's stay on MOTU's ass for it, eh?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

As is usually the case, there ARE ways to accomplish this in DP. I've done it a couple different ways in the past and I'm sure there are those here who have found other methods. I come from the days where you had to know how to splice tape, so a little creative routing in a DAW is easy by comparison. Setting up routing for parallel processing (if I need it) in DP just takes a few seconds - no biggie. I submit that you've probably already spent more time researching plugins than you would have spent just doing it in DP.

Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Nibiru

Mix Knob

Post by Nibiru »

I'm all for it too. I must say though, that some plugins mix knob at 50% doesn't have the same sound as when running the plugin at 100% and mixing it via an Aux return. Altiverb is one that comes to mind. I almost never use that on a track but rather on an Aux as a return.

Anyone else ever notice this with any other plugins?
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Still, I would have liked that neat dry/wet knob function to be there when I need it :)
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I accomplish this in 2 ways. I always use Aux returns for time based FX I group the aux returns with mute enabled so I can single click, although, on smaller projects I just sweep the mouse across. If I want full bypass of everything I use the MIX function. I duplicate the mix then create a new blank mix. I can then A-B then entire mix with one click. Can also duplicate a mix and continue at any point along the process. I will have an EQ mix and an EQ + dynamics mix then an EQ + dynamics + FX mix. Lastly I add automation for the full mix. I use these to demonstrate the accumulative affect of many small changes to students and clients.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Nice solution, especially for education purposes. I am stealing it :). I still miss the mix knob on my UAD plugins. The slate VMR has them on the compressors and it is something I use each and every time. As far as Time domain affects I have mostly used AUX tracks though in the age of pregen one comes to the strange observation that CPU wise those effects fair better on the track then on the AUX, as the AUX tracks are not pregen-ed, while the tracks are.