Screen Capture with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Screen Capture with DP

Post by labman »

What do you folks use for making your DP screen capture demos and tutorials? And why do you like the one you use?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Screen Capture with DP

Post by mikehalloran »

Mac or PC?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm guessing Mac since it was in the Mac section and layman has been here forever! :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman

Post by labman »

Mac Mike.

What is this thing you call PC? :)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are people who have switched or so I have heard...

On a Mac, might as well use the free tools that come with the OS.

QuickTime will capture screen video.

Preview is what I use to take screen shots as it lets you frame the shot (Take screen shot from selection) and save as .png, jpeg, .pdf, open EXR or .tiff.

Preview is much better than the old Capture Screen which still works.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
labman

Post by labman »

Thanks Mike. Appreciated.

I used Quicktime for a brief screencast about a month ago. It turned out 'alright' but it needs more tools for what I think I need. Here are some specifics that I 'think' I need.

Need to have mouse clicks highlighted, hotkeys shown when typed, maybe some kind of watermarking, and a good way for it to record both a tutorial voice and the DP audio.

Of course, maybe I am too old for all this whiz bang podcast web tutorial stuff that the young whippersnapppers are doing.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Take a look at Camtasia For Mac. It does all you mention and more, including video overlays, zooming, and so on. I've created some tutorials with it before and it's pretty nifty once you get used to it's slightly 'unique' interface.
They have a full-feature 30 day demo if you want to give it a spin...
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
labman

Post by labman »

Thanks David. Looks good. Our main production mac where I would most likely do the tutorials is OS X 10.8+. Looks like they are listing 10.9 as minimum. I will write them and see what they think.

I own Voila, and I own iShowU HD, but ishowU uses sound flower to shuttle mac audio. I hate sound flowers off/on stabilty. What protocol for mac audio does Camtasia use?
labman

Post by labman »

Camtasia sent me a link to get the demo for a 10.8 version, so I shall try it out.

David, could you go into more detail about "slightly 'unique' interface"? Any troubles getting along nicely with other apps?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Screenflow is awesome! It's intuitive and it has a lot of the functions you seem to want.

http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman

Post by labman »

Hey FM! Thanks.

How does Screenflow route audio from DP?
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

All the tutorial guys I know that are on Mac use ScreenFlow. Never used it myself though. I don't make tutorials. :P

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

davidh wrote:Take a look at Camtasia For Mac. It does all you mention and more, including video overlays, zooming, and so on. I've created some tutorials with it before and it's pretty nifty once you get used to it's slightly 'unique' interface.
They have a full-feature 30 day demo if you want to give it a spin...
$99 certainly looks good for all that.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

labman wrote:Hey FM! Thanks.

How does Screenflow route audio from DP?
I haven't tried it with DP yet. But the app allows to use audio from DP (or any app) plus another source, such as a mic. I suppose it does something similar to Soundflower.

IIRC, they have a free-trial period with the full capabilities of the app. I think you will really like it, labman :)

Before Screenflow I used Snapz Pro, but they stopped supporting Mavericks and Yosemite. I wrote to them and they didn't seem to be in any hurry not lo lose more customers, so I sent them to hell and went with Telestream instead. It´s MUCH BETTER anyway in terms of support and features!
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

IIRC, our own Shooshie uses and has made tutorials using Screenflow.

Shoosh?