Screen Capture with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Screen Capture with DP

Post by Shooshie »

Just curious: did you ever try it with a Firewire/USB device?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote:Just curious: did you ever try it with a Firewire/USB device?

Shoosh
I did not Shooshie.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

labman wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Just curious: did you ever try it with a Firewire/USB device?

Shoosh
I did not Shooshie.
I think that's the key. Outside of Loopback and Soundflower, if you just want it to recognize your device, it has to be a non-PCI device. At least, the evidence points in that direction.

I remember now when it started working for me. It was after my [2002] 896 died, and I had to get an 896mk3 [2014 or 2015]. With my PCI devices (1296 and 2408) it never worked, and still doesn't. On most of my tutorials, the sound you hear is coming through speakers, then being picked up by the microphone through which I was talking. Never liked that inelegant solution! It was just convenient.

Of course, Soundflower or Loopback will do the trick. (I didn't know about Loopback until your previous post!)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote: I think that's the key. Outside of Loopback and Soundflower, if you just want it to recognize your device, it has to be a non-PCI device. At least, the evidence points in that direction.
Shooshie
Me thinks you are correct. Thanks for your help! and bays, and basstrup...
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
labman

Post by labman »

Hey when you screenflow gurus are cutting DP screencast, so you use adaptive mode or 30FPS?

And if you have a mac monitor that is larger than 1920x1080, are you recording the whole screen and then cropping it down? Or is there a way to limit the screen capture of DP to 1920x1080?
labman

Post by labman »

Hey folks. Just reporting in that Screenflow is the bomb. Many thanks to those who steered me that way. And for some of your specific help offline!

And a bit of a tip. We needed a custom video opener created for our tutorials, and for various marketing things. So my marketing guy said take a look at fiverr.com. What an wild experience! Got a guy in albania to design logo, with unlimited revisions who was great. But for the actual video opener which featured the new logo, I found a tremendous guy in India named Psarun. He was respectful, highly fluent in english, was interested in doing something totally custom that 100% would match my needs, unlimited revisions, and HIGHLY creative. Just the kind of guy we all love to work with. It was almost like improvising, as he took some of the ideas, altered them to be even better, then fed it back for comments. And get this, it cost less than $100 which included my tip for him. That is astounding to me.

The way fiver works is everything starts at $5. (Yeah, FIVE DOLLARS). Then any add'l stuff can be added on as 'extras'. And if you want to see some bizarro deals go to this category. https://www.fiverr.com/categories/fun-b ... uto&page=1

We evidently Iive in a strange new world of marketing. LOL

Here is PSAruns page in case you need some stuff done. Cant speak highly enough of him. If you need that kind of task done, I doubt you would be disappointed.

https://www.fiverr.com/psarun

I am too old to learn all these hip new ways.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Just to be clear you guys are talking about screen flow 5 for $100?

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

That just seems overkill and expensive for a screen capturing app. It seems as though its a full video editing app kind of like FCP?I'm just guessing though. I'd like a great screen capturing thing for tutorials and teaching in general, both guitar and audio. But its a little steep for me to justify. Unless I'm missing something . . .
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
labman

Post by labman »

Yes screenflow 5 Henry. I went thru a bunch of others before settling on that one.

There is a pretty cool little program called iShowU instant that you might want to check out too. Not as many features but way fast to work with.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I saw where a con was you can't add text editing to the screen afterwards?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Alright. I bought it. Don't tell me wife.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Henry Robinett wrote:I saw where a con was you can't add text editing to the screen afterwards?

Pretty sure you can, if we're talking about Screenflow. You're talking about adding comments? Drawing circles and arrows? That kind of thing? Yes. You can do that. I'm pretty sure I've done that in some of my demos. (Then again, I don't trust my own memory for anything these days!)

Shoosh