How to change the tempo of an already recorded project?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jaredinsc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to change the tempo of an already recorded project?

Post by jaredinsc »

Hello, I'm recording a song, and after a while Ive decided it was too slow. How to I increase the speed of all the tracks?
FMiguelez

Re: How to change the tempo of an already recorded project?

Post by FMiguelez »

Is it all audio?

If so, rerecord everything again at the correct tempo. You won't like DP's algorithm for this. It's old and it sounds unacceptably bad.

Or finish your song at the current tempo and then use MachFive to speed it up (this sounds pretty good to me).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

FM, you're referring to the Ircam Tools in M5, correct?

I haven't tried them yet myself, I recently had to deal with this issue myself when the bandleader said he felt the song sounded slow in places. I challenged him on that, and mention this because the OP might find this advice useful.

When you think something is too slow, always evaluate whether it just FEELS too slow. Sometimes this is because of how instruments are locking in (or not); whether there is a back beat, rigid military-like quantized feel, etc.

How parts are articulated can also have an impact, but more often than not, I find that "too slow" is a psychoacoustic effect that is easily corrected by listening to two instruments at a time until identifying the culprit, then dragging that one forward (or behind) until things sound energetic and "not slow".
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mhschmieder wrote:FM, you're referring to the Ircam Tools in M5, correct?
Correcto.
I think they are very good (one for "destroying" and one for real processing. The last two in the oscillator menu)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There's also IrcamLab TS but I agree with FM. If the song is worth anything at all, it's worth playing again (and again, and again...).

If duplicating the performance is an issue, well... all the more reason to play it again and again. :boohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

FMiguelez wrote:Is it all audio?

If so, rerecord everything again at the correct tempo. You won't like DP's algorithm for this. It's old and it sounds unacceptably bad.

Or finish your song at the current tempo and then use MachFive to speed it up (this sounds pretty good to me).
this...

It always sounded unacceptably bad to me....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I find DP works moderately ok for tempo change, but with monophonic audio, like individual vocal tracks, only. If your project is MIDI plus vox, give it a try within DP. If you recorded a live band, feggetaboutit.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Ircam TS plug is not perfect, but has proved to be quite good in my last experiences.
Takes a little tweaking time to get where you want, though.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

If it's just a few beats a minute, I've had success with Amazing Slow Downer. Process each track...whether mono or stereo and reimport or open a new project.

Also works on reasonable pitch change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)