V Control Pro Update Warning

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

V Control Pro Update Warning

Post by billf »

Heads up if you use V Control Pro on your iPad for DP. It seems the recent 1.9 update has done something to break it and the Ney-Fi app on your Mac. So if you're still on the 1.8 version and it's working, it's probably best to NOT update until they sort things out.

PS - It looks like some users are already having a bad experience:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/v-contr ... 23823?mt=8
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Re: V Control Pro Update Warning

Post by cuttime »

Ouch! This isn't the first time I've seen a premium paid app "upgrade" to a subscription model and unleash a deluge of user backlash. Not to debate this business model, I can't imagine this would be profitable in the long run.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
billf

Post by billf »

I don't want to debate the model either. This post is just a heads up to those here who use V Control with DP (there are a few of us).

As for the current situation, it's a big mess AFAIKT. What appears to be happening is that the iPad App Store update to V Control Pro version 1.9 completely breaks things by requiring "V Control Pro 2" on your Mac instead of the old Ney-Fi utility. The numbering doesn't even make sense.

Then once you discover 1.9 doesn't work without 2.0, and 2.0 will cost another $49.99 on your Mac, who knows if it will all actually work?

Fortunately I have a backup of 1.8 on my Mac, so I'm sticking with it until this gets sorted out (hopefully it gets sorted out).
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

Just got this from the Neyrinck website:
Download V-Control Pro 2:

NOTE For V-Control Pro 1 Users
Version 1.9 of V-Control Pro 1 no longer uses Ney-Fi and now uses V-Control Pro 2. V-Control Pro 1.9 is fully functional without purchasing a V-Control Pro 2 license. At any time you can purchase a V-Control Pro 2 license to get new features such as 32-tracks control, smartphone control, and Android support.
Hopefully this will help.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
billf

Post by billf »

guitardood wrote:Just got this from the Neyrinck website:
Download V-Control Pro 2:

NOTE For V-Control Pro 1 Users
Version 1.9 of V-Control Pro 1 no longer uses Ney-Fi and now uses V-Control Pro 2. V-Control Pro 1.9 is fully functional without purchasing a V-Control Pro 2 license. At any time you can purchase a V-Control Pro 2 license to get new features such as 32-tracks control, smartphone control, and Android support.
Hopefully this will help.
FYI, it looks like it may have been pulled from the App Store as of this morning. The 1.9 update notification is no longer appearing on my iPad.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I got it when it came out, didn't use it much, but kept it updated. Finally had a serious use for it with DP, couldn't make it work, and found out all this the hard way. This app is dead to me now.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.