One MIDI Editor to Rule Them All!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

One MIDI Editor to Rule Them All!

Post by swpowe »

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug, or by design, or I'm doing something wrong. I'd like to be able to setup DP so I have a MIDI Editor window popped out and on a 2nd monitor where every time I select MIDI in the track view, it updates to that MIDI in that single editor. What happens now, is I have to double click on the MIDI region and it then opens another MIDI editor window. I'd really like to be able to setup a window set that has tracks on one monitor and a single MIDI editor and it would update with whatever region i'm selection. Is this possible? :koolaid:
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: One MIDI Editor to Rule Them All!

Post by Shooshie »

What is possible is to keep a MIDI Editor open all the time, which stays synchronized with all the other edit windows and the Tracks Overview window. You set up Auto-Scroll so that all windows stay together:

In addition, you must be sure that auto-scroll is turned on in the Control Panel.
It's the green arrow in the middle of this picture:

This will keep the windows synched.

What you can't do is have a MIDI Edit Window that updates when you change chunks or open a different project. Each time you do that, you have to put that window in the other monitor. It's not so hard to do that, and it will stay there until you close it or open another project. Then the window opens in the main monitor, and you just drag it to the other one.

I do the same thing, but I use Spaces, which is now called Mission Control, instead of an actual 2nd monitor. This way I have as many virtual monitors as I want. No need for an actual other monitor on my desktop. This only works with a floating control panel, so that each virtual monitor you swipe up on screen has the DP control panel at the top.

I wish MOTU would make independent MIDI Edit Windows (not in the CW) update for each project or chunk, the way the Mixing Board does. This would need to be a preference setting, in case there are people who want many MIDI editors, and don't want a single editor always displaying the current chunk. But the MIDI Editor is quite serviceable as it is, if you just remember to place it in the other monitor each time you open a new chunk or project.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|