Ethno Instrument

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rubens
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ethno Instrument

Post by Rubens »

Hi all!
I need a voice library, mostly looking for indian female solo voices. I wonder if Ethno Instruments is the way to go.
Thank you,

Rubens.
FMiguelez

Re: Ethno Instrument

Post by FMiguelez »

It does have some samples of female performances (phrases).

I don't remember how extensive it is, but you get a few from India and other regions, as well as other instruments, etc. It's a very nice ethno library sampler to have.

The most complete library I've seen for this is Vocal Planet, but I don't know if it's still for sale out there.. It was for Gigastudio, but MachFive can read it perfectly. The documentation isn't great, but I remember it has a LOT of this kind of stuff. The few times I've used it I felt adequately covered,
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

UVI has a large number of voice libraries. AudioDeluxe has them all on sale for 15% off with the coupon LABORDAY. Works in MachFive or the free UVI player.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rubens

Post by Rubens »

Hi FMiguelez,
as you imagined the Vocal Planet is gone. It could also work with Omnisphere I think, but couldn't find it out there...

Mike, do you think, besides the diference on price, the UVI is better then Ethno Instrument?
I am not looking for pre made phrases though...

Thank's!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

If you mean "Indian" as in "India," I've had some amazing results with this:

https://www.sonokinetic.net/products/ethnic/aliye/
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rubens wrote::Mike, do you think, besides the diference on price, the UVI is better then Ethno Instrument?
I am not looking for pre made phrases though...

Thank's!
I goofed. I was thinking VirHarmonic. BTW, if you try to move within their site, you need to change https;// to http:// or the links don't work.
http://www.virharmonic.com/
I found them while searching for UVI on the AudioDeluxe site and didn't notice that the company had changed. They do require the free UVI Player for DP. I would think they also work in MachFive.
http://www.virharmonic.com/faq

Anyway, these libraries let you put your own words into the voices. From Soloists of Prague ($134.95 from AudioDeluxe with that coupon code)

VirHarmonic Soloists of Prague

Enjoy Straight forward word creation powered by our unique Libretto Engine. Make your soloists sing what you want with limitless possibilities. Easily separate your singers between Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Bass. Dynamic control grants you a very generous range of emotions & power. Incredibly flexible, lush, uniquely scripted Poly Legato.

UNIQUE LIBRETTO ENGINE

Beautifully Hand Crafted samples, capturing singers from the Prague Philharmonic Choir, work seamlessly together to produce clear diction for each individual singer. Have each soloist sing different words at the same time or in unison from one interface with flexible, instant results thanks to our tried and tested Powerful Libretto Engine.

With our unique method of Sample Capturing, the Soloists performed with what we call "Lyrical Freedom". No lifeless sustains but raw emotion without the limitations of phrases. We encouraged our singers to make each recording a performance, to add a feeling and depth with the limitless possibilities of building your own words.

EFFORTLESS MASTERING

Individual Mastering for each voice gives you immense control over your final sound. For Pristine clarity of voice and to retain all the lyrical qualities we have painstakingly captured, the Soloists come with a close microphone position and will sit perfectly in front of any choir. Soloists of Prague, in short, is the cherry on the cake.

SOUL OF THE SOLOISTS

Granting access to the settings page was a decision made on our previous Choir Library “Voices of Prague”. With our Soloists, you have the same ability to tweak each voice to your specific needs. To retain a higher level of sonic quality, there are no loops in the sustains, even virtual Soloists need to Breath.

Assign the controls to CC and amend the settings in real time to tailor the Soloists specifically to your tastes and Style.

7Gb Installed & 3½Gb Download.
8,400+ Samples recorded @196khz downsampled to 48khz 24bit sample rate.
Full S.A.T.B. Soloists. Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Bass recorded in a acoustically rich church.
3 Deep Sampled Dynamics: pianissimo, mezzo-forte & fortissimo. (pp-mf-ff).
Lush Scripted Poly Legato, allowing for a large number of transitions.
Performable Articulations: Sustains, Staccatos, Marcatos & Legato.
Large Chromatically Sampled Ranges:
Sopranos C4-C6, Altos G3-E5, Tenors C3-C5, Basses E2-E4.
S.A.T.B. Solo Vocals VST, AU, AAX, RTAS
8,400+ Unique Samples
Sample Resolution: 48kHz - 24bit
35 Consonants & 7 Vowels
Authorize on up to 3 devices, computer or iLok, iLok Dongle not Required
- See more at: http://audiodeluxe.com/products/virharm ... Wr3k8.dpuf

If you've not bought from AudioDeluxe, they're a good company. The current coupon is LABORDAY. You need to register for an account before you can apply it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rubens

Post by Rubens »

Thank you Mike, it really sounds amazing, and I will definitely buy it in the near future. But still, as Gravity Jim guessed, I am looking for those voices from India or Nepal, with the melismas and the specific colour character.
That's why I was wondering about Ethno Instruments though they are not a specific voice library. Again, if you, or the other friends know a better deal please write me.
Thank you very much already,

Rubens.