DP 9 - Motu Audio System turning off repeatedly

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
danatkorg
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9 - Motu Audio System turning off repeatedly

Post by danatkorg »

I am having problems with this, as well. In my case, it seems to be related to system audio (alerts, for instance) playing through the same audio hardware as MAS. I'm using a 16A via USB, fwiw. I filed a ticket with MOTU about 6 months ago. Interesting to think that it might be related to MAS in DP9, as opposed to a specific hardware driver.
larryssp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by larryssp »

I was going to start a new thread but this is close to the behavior I'm seeing. When I updated to 9.12, DP didn't see my HD192/PCI card. I re-started DP and then it saw it. This keeps happening where i have to restart DP twice. However, if I play a file from the finder, it plays file fine through the HD192.
So, it's something in DP that happened when I upgraded.
DP 9.12, OS 10.11.6, mac pro 8 core, 24 gigs ram, Mach Five 3.2, MSI, Superior Drummer, Battery, Reason, Slate Drums, EW Gold
http://www.2ndstprod.com
http://www.dannysguitarshop.tv
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

larryssp wrote:I was going to start a new thread but this is close to the behavior I'm seeing. When I updated to 9.12, DP didn't see my HD192/PCI card. I re-started DP and then it saw it. This keeps happening where i have to restart DP twice. However, if I play a file from the finder, it plays file fine through the HD192.
So, it's something in DP that happened when I upgraded.
I run into this issue occasionally as well and it seems like something that surfaced with DP 9.1 or 9.12. Someone in this thread said MOTU is aware but hasn't been able to reproduce. I've found that sometimes I can get it to work again, by "tickling" the MOTU Audio System by changing buffer size. Sometimes I have to restart DP. What's odd too is that when this happens, DP seems unaware that it has become decoupled from the audio hardware and the meters (in DP) all show that things should be working normally, but nothing is coming out the audio interface.

I hope they can get to the bottom of this, because this would be a deal breaker for using DP 9.12 in a live situation.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman

Post by labman »

Yup James. They are aware, and hopefully are following this thread. At least they were apprised of newthread additions earlier this week. So I am hopeful. ;)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
larryssp

Post by larryssp »

I run into this issue occasionally as well and it seems like something that surfaced with DP 9.1 or 9.12. Someone in this thread said MOTU is aware but hasn't been able to reproduce. I've found that sometimes I can get it to work again, by "tickling" the MOTU Audio System by changing buffer size. Sometimes I have to restart DP. What's odd too is that when this happens, DP seems unaware that it has become decoupled from the audio hardware and the meters (in DP) all show that things should be working normally, but nothing is coming out the audio interface.

I hope they can get to the bottom of this, because this would be a deal breaker for using DP 9.12 in a live situation.
This is the problem I'm having - started with 9.12 - It's progressed to happening during a session which makes it a deal breaker. When you switch buffer size does it bring it back? Is it possible to go back to the previous version?
DP 9.12, OS 10.11.6, mac pro 8 core, 24 gigs ram, Mach Five 3.2, MSI, Superior Drummer, Battery, Reason, Slate Drums, EW Gold
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It's always possible to go back to a previous version. I always save my older installers. You can also have older versions coexist with newer versions. The way you is that is if you have DP 9.02 for example, you renamed the "Digital Performer" app to "Digital Performer 9.02" BEFORE running the DP 9.12 installer. That way it won't get overwritten when the 9.12 installer installs a "Digital Performer" app.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
larryssp

Post by larryssp »

James Steele wrote:It's always possible to go back to a previous version. I always save my older installers. You can also have older versions coexist with newer versions. The way you is that is if you have DP 9.02 for example, you renamed the "Digital Performer" app to "Digital Performer 9.02" BEFORE running the DP 9.12 installer. That way it won't get overwritten when the 9.12 installer installs a "Digital Performer" app.
Thanks James,
9.02 had this weird thing where I couldn't shift tab in soundbites. But at least I could work.
labman

Post by labman »

Larry, for me, if I toggle anything in hardware setup, or just go there and click, it comes back.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This has happened here but not very often, maybe 3-4 times a year. As mentioned above, it's always a simply click to get the audio system back in action.

I don't remember whether it happened in DP 5, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it since DP 6, for several versions of OS X, and with a 2408-2, a 828-3, and two USB class compliant converters from Lexicon and Focusrite. It also happened when I tried out DP 8 on Windows 7 using the 2408 and the Lexicon USB converters.

It doesn't seem to me that this has a lot to do with recent changes to DP9 or El Cap or Sierra compatible drivers.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well, maybe MOTU can't reproduce it NOW, but they did a while back and the suggestion (which I mentioned earlier) had escaped me for a while, but I've been trying it the last few days and it seems to have fixed it (at least as a workaround). That is: last on; first off.

IOW, turn on the audio device/card after boot up; turn it off before shutdown. I haven't had a single dropout since following that advice.

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm. I'll try that. I have a PCIe system so maybe it's different but I'll give that a shot.

labman

Post by labman »

James Steele wrote:Hmmm. I'll try that. I have a PCIe system so maybe it's different but I'll give that a shot.
Lemme know if it works please James.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:Hmmm. I'll try that. I have a PCIe system so maybe it's different but I'll give that a shot.
LOVE the avatar, Man! Hey, I'm playing Long Beach tonight...

https://www.molaa.org/events/el-tren-fantasma/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ihategear

Post by ihategear »

I'm having this exact problem. Started suddenly today. I've been learning to use the 1248 interface, which has been a challenge, so maybe it has something to do with that. Just before this started happening, all my ADAT (light pipe, Personus Digimax inputs) inputs disappeared, as did the "from computer" inputs in the web app for the 1248. Don't know if that's related at all. At one point I noticed that the sample rate was set to 192K, and I'd been running at 44.1. (???) I kept fiddling around and finally the ADAT inputs came back. Maybe there's something odd about the interface, or the way I have something set. I've been running DP9 on El Capitan with no problems for a couple months. The 1248 is what has changed. Was using a 2408 mk3 and an original 2408 previously. I don't recall having seen this message before--about the MOTU audio system turning itself off. Been using DP and 2408 system for over a decade. Computer is early 2008 Mac Pro, 3,1.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

ihategear wrote: At one point I noticed that the sample rate was set to 192K, and I'd been running at 44.1. (???)
It was my understanding that the 8 ADAT outputs only work up to 48k - over that and the outputs start shutting down. At 192k I think they would all shut off. Could be wrong - it has been a long time since I encountered that on my 828 mk3 hybrid, but I definitely did see the ADAT performance change over 48k. (I've never even attempted 192k.)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools