DP 9 - Motu Audio System turning off repeatedly

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9 - Motu Audio System turning off repeatedly

Post by wonder »

Anyone else seeing this?

during playback or when sitting idle, ever so often the MOTU audio system will just turn off and I'll get the error message.
I'll click "continue" and the MAS will turn on again.

This never happened in any other version of DP.

I'm on Yosemite and the latest version of DP.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9 - Motu Audio System turning off repeatedly

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm having the same problem.

It seems pretty random...not brought on by anything consistent.

I'm also on Yosemite...new Mac Pro.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

wonder wrote:Anyone else seeing this?

during playback or when sitting idle, ever so often the MOTU audio system will just turn off and I'll get the error message.
I'll click "continue" and the MAS will turn on again.

This never happened in any other version of DP.

I'm on Yosemite and the latest version of DP.
What sort of interfaces are you using? I don't see it in your sig. I've seen that before with USB interfaces if the connector doesn't seat well. It usually indicates that the software has momentarily (all it takes is a split second) lost communication with the audio interface. I'd check all cables are good and try a different cable to connect your computer to the interface. Can't hurt.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I don't know if this is the same thing you are seeing, but I have been getting an "Emergency Stop" message frequently that says "The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was running. (MOTUAudioSystem Mas [60.0])." When I click the "HW Setup" button, the Hardware setup window opens and all I have to do is click the OK button and everything works again. Usually once I have done that I don't have any more problems until I quit and relaunch DP. Then I have to go through the process again.

I have a TechLink with MOTU about this and they have made a number of recommendations, but so far, they haven't been able to replicate the problem. I'm using a MOTU 896HD interface via FireWire and it works perfectly with all my other applications. It's only when I use it in DP (both 8 and 9).
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
wonder

Post by wonder »

bkshepard wrote:I don't know if this is the same thing you are seeing, but I have been getting an "Emergency Stop" message frequently that says "The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was running. (MOTUAudioSystem Mas [60.0])." When I click the "HW Setup" button, the Hardware setup window opens and all I have to do is click the OK button and everything works again. Usually once I have done that I don't have any more problems until I quit and relaunch DP. Then I have to go through the process again.

I have a TechLink with MOTU about this and they have made a number of recommendations, but so far, they haven't been able to replicate the problem. I'm using a MOTU 896HD interface via FireWire and it works perfectly with all my other applications. It's only when I use it in DP (both 8 and 9).

Thats what I get too.

I'm using a 2408 (PCI card).
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Create a TechLink at motu.com. The more information they have from people with this problem the more likely they are to find the solution.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
armando398

Post by armando398 »

Exact same problem here IN TWO SYSTEMS

Same behaviour in both computers SINCE I UPGRADED Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and
DP 9.01

First Computer: Mac Pro Quad Core 2.8 Ghz early 2008, 16 Gb Ram Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite
running DP 9.01. HD192 AND 2408 MK3, PCI CARD.

Second Computer: MacBook Pro 15 inch, 2.53 Ghz core 2 DUO, mid 2009 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite running DP 9.01 ULTRALITE AVB

SHOULD I UPGRADE TO MAC OS X 10.11 EL CAPITAN? WAIT FOR DP 9.02?
wonder

Post by wonder »

Armando,

they had me delete ALL my DP Pref's. It helped a little but I'm still getting crashes.

Its way better than before but still unacceptable.
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

Last night I installed the new waves update, and everytime I try to open Element 2, I get this message, but in my case its imposible to make it work, I have to force quit dp and open again the file.

Weird!
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Aren't some of the audio cards not sleep compatible. I know I can't let my MacPro with a 424 card sleep.

Don
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
armando398

Post by armando398 »

Wonder,

I´ll erase all pref´s (USER) and let you know if that works, or I´ll upgrade my laptop to 10.11 and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I see no mention of whether you swapped out the cables connecting your interfaces to the Mac.

This really sounds like a bad cable situation to me.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm wondering if it's a case of using standard FireWire cables in place of AudioWire... difference being only that the connection to the PCI-424 card is often not reliable with FireWire cable without trimming back some of the plastic insulation around the metal part of the connector so that the connector is seated deep enough in the PCI-424 card.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dnegovan

Post by dnegovan »

Having this issue too and I really don't think it's a cable situation, feels like something software related to me as I'm using the same hardware I was before the problem started. I guess I'll start a ticket but I don't expect much to come from it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bkshepard wrote: I have been getting an "Emergency Stop" message frequently that says "The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was running.
Here too, but not since Sierra.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS