El Capitan GM Candidate: A-OK with DP 9.01.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan GM Candidate: A-OK with DP 9.01.

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Logic did not run any AU validation. DP validated one that apparently is new with the OS – it happened so quickly that I didn't catch the name. I ran some test files in both, heavily laden with 3rd party plugs including NI without a problem.
It makes sense that a new AU installed with 10.11 would pass the new 10.11 validation standard. But it seems risky to have this in an unknown state if you have to rerun any validations. Seems like Apple moved to a new AU version or standard and ditched the old, rather than just adding the new. And they've caught some major suppliers off guard.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Morpheo wrote:
bayswater wrote:Otherwise, the review suggests to me that if you don't have a relatively new Mac, there is not much to be gained with 10.11 unless you're still on an old OS X version that no longer gets security support from Apple.
Well let's not forget San Fransisco! Huge upgrade :wink:
San Francisco? San Francisco Font?
Does anyone else remember the Macintosh San Francisco font? It was a ransom note.
That was San Francisco font in 1984.
I always DID want that for my system font! :banghead:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

My son (and client) Noah and I were just talking about this at lunch. I've done my duty as a beta tester, but neither of us see any reason to upgrade to 10.11. Maybe just to stay current in a few months, but there's nothing there either of us want. As a game dev, he's ready to blow a gasket over iOS 9.

If Apple has a major cultural problem, it's their willingness to embrace new technologies and drop old ones sooner than they need to.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Logic did not run any AU validation. DP validated one that apparently is new with the OS – it happened so quickly that I didn't catch the name. I ran some test files in both, heavily laden with 3rd party plugs including NI without a problem.
It makes sense that a new AU installed with 10.11 would pass the new 10.11 validation standard. But it seems risky to have this in an unknown state if you have to rerun any validations. Seems like Apple moved to a new AU version or standard and ditched the old, rather than just adding the new. And they've caught some major suppliers off guard.
DP remembers which plugs have already been validated and doesn't scan them again unless you install a new version or choose to re-scan them. It might be that if you chose to re-scan certain plugs they might not pass with the new AU validation tool installed.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP remembers which plugs have already been validated and doesn't scan them again unless you install a new version or choose to re-scan them.
As does Logic - but we've only been warned about Logic.
It might be that if you chose to re-scan certain plugs they might not pass with the new AU validation tool installed
Deleted and created a new set (188 plugins). This caused a complete re-scan. Nothing failed.

DP 7.24, likewise, passed.

If someone can find a free plug that I don't have installed, I'll try it in both DP and Logic.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Deleted and created a new set (188 plugins). This caused a complete re-scan. Nothing failed..
That includes UVI player and Kontakt?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Deleted and created a new set (188 plugins). This caused a complete re-scan. Nothing failed..
That includes UVI player and Kontakt?
Toto too.

It's like what we were both wondering about yesterday. That's why I want to try something new to me and see what it does in both DP and L.

Frankly, I'd like to find something that crashes AU validation in Logic but doesn't in DP, if possible. There are some old Izotope plugs but that's a different issue completely.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Are any of the early adopters running the more ancient NI plugs (especially B4ii) under 32 lives in El Capitan successfully?
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mike,

Here are a few AUs I have that are free (I'm pretty sure) and are working in 10.10.5/9.01. I don't think any are 32 bit.

4Front Bass.component
4Front E-Piano.component
ADT
Anuna
AutoSwell Light
All the free Blue Cat
beyerdynamicv4
BitterSweetV3-64
BOD (from TSE)
bx_solo
Combo Model F
Inpressa
Limiter6
LittleAlterBoy
LittleMicroShift
LittleRadiator
All the free Meldas
Revival (Slate)
TB_EBUCompact
TB_EBULoudness
TB_Isone
TB_ReelBus (I think there are more from toneboosters)
TDR VOS SlickEQ
TDRFeedbackCompressorII
TDRFeedbackCompressorIIMono
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Deleted and created a new set (188 plugins). This caused a complete re-scan. Nothing failed.
Great. That's some crucial information right there, as you can do a system update and it won't cause a re-scan on plugs that have previously passed.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mongoose wrote:Are any of the early adopters running the more ancient NI plugs (especially B4ii) under 32 lives in El Capitan successfully?
Yep... that's one I'm wondering about as well.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Copied this from another thread. MOTU has posted compatibility information and it looks like those users who use external MIDI devices could run into trouble. Essentially the newer AVB interfaces are okay, but older interfaces that are connected via USB are a problem. I have a MIDI TimePiece AV USB, and although I don't use external modules much, I should probably hold back. Here's the pertinent info quoted from this page: http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and- ... term=10.11
USB-equipped MOTU audio and MIDI interfaces listed below are currently incompatible with OS X El Capitan. MOTU is working on driver updates that will be available soon at motu.com/download. In the meantime, if your MOTU interface offers FireWire or Thunderbolt connectivity, you can use FireWire or Thunderbolt instead of USB for connectivity to OS X El Capitan. However, if you require USB connectivity to El Capitan, we strongly recommend that you do not upgrade until MOTU driver updates become available.

Audio Interfaces:

828x
Track 16
MicroBook II
8pre USB
4pre
Audio Express
UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid
896mk3 Hybrid
828mk3 Hybrid
Legacy MOTU USB audio interfaces

MIDI Interfaces:

MIDI Express XT
MIDI Express 128
micro express
micro lite
FastLane
Legacy MOTU USB MIDI interfaces
If you have any questions, please contact MOTU customer service or technical support.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Bays, thanks for the list. I'll get to some tomorrow.

James, I'd not thought of my externals. Thanks for that heads up.

I have an MTP AV USB but haven't used it since I updated the firmware chips and replaced the battery in 2012 -- I can see if it is visible in AudioMidi Setup. My 828mkII is FireWire.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Bays, thanks for the list. I'll get to some tomorrow.

James, I'd not thought of my externals. Thanks for that heads up.

I have an MTP AV USB but haven't used it since I updated the firmware chips and replaced the battery in 2012 -- I can see if it is visible in AudioMidi Setup. My 828mkII is FireWire.
In my haste I neglected to mention that it appears all non-AVB MOTU audio interfaces that connect via USB have issues with El Capitan. However, for interfaces where both Firewire and USB are available, Firewire will work apparently.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've been running super solid on DP 8.07 and 10.8.5 for so long, I can't remember. I just don't understand the rush to a new version of DP and/or OS, especially with a dedicated studio machine. Every time I'm tempted, I read threads like this one and get back to making music.

The above stated, I may try El Cap after the reports suggest clear sailing.

I'd like to thank you early adopters in advance for your sweat, sacrifice, and swear words. May the Force be with you. :D

PS: I apologize if the above comes off as insensitive or obnoxious. It's been a long day, but a good one. Hope yours was, and is, too.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31