El Capitan GM Candidate: A-OK with DP 9.01.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
robcazin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan GM Candidate: A-OK with DP 9.01.

Post by robcazin »

Is anyone else having a problem dragging a plug-in window to another space? I am happy to now be able to keep my Kontakt window floating on top, but I also like to move my plug-ins to another space (screen) and with 9.01 cannot seem to do that... Can't minimize either.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I think you have to choose between the freedom to put your plugins where you want and leave them open in another space, or to have them float. I never needed plugins to float, since I put them in other spaces and arrange them as I wish, then just leave them open. Therefore, I chose to disable that new float function for all plugins in DP9. You can do that in the Mini-Menu at the top-right of each plugin, either for the current plugin, or globally.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
midiw

Post by midiw »

Gravity Jim

Thanks for the information/confirmation. I have just today installed El Capitan ( 10.11 ).

Now i will try Digital Performer 9.

OK installed DP9 and all is OK WED, OCT 7, 2015 22:56 .
Last edited by midiw on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac OS: Mojave
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just went by the MOTU site to see if there were new drivers out for older MOTU audio and MIDI interfaces that connect via USB. The only thing holding me back was drivers for my MTP/AV MIDI interface. MOTU has posted links to public beta drivers for El Capitan compatibility on this page:

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/motu-and-os-x-el-capitan

If you scroll down you'll see the links to the beta drivers in blue in the section listing the models of interface that are not yet compatible. I may get brave and give this a whirl.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just saw that when I added a tech link.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Just saw that when I added a tech link.
Yep... I'm going to live dangerously. I'm downloading El Capitan right now. We'll see how it goes. I can get by without external MIDI for a while if anything is squirrelly with the public beta drivers.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Some folks are saying Finale is working. Others, not so much...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Some folks are saying Finale is working. Others, not so much...
Well it did apparently put the final nail in the AlphaTrack coffin. I'd come to rely on this very much. Adjusting levels by mouse is not appealing to me and now I'm contemplating restoring from a disk image that was from August.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Some folks are saying Finale is working. Others, not so much...
It opens for me, playback is fine. There are specific articulation tools that are supposed to cause it to crash. Perhaps, those reporting success aren't using them.

No thanks, I'll reboot from another drive when I am using Finale until an update or fix is announced.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... I'm bailing out of El Cap. I threw caution to the wind and didn't run Carbon Copy Cloner just prior to updating. My last clone was from August 20, but it's not that big a deal as I really haven't installed much new since then. I may need to update a few plugs, and 32 Lives, but that's probably it. I'm just dreading the potential plug re-authorizations that may come.

I just can't give up my AlphaTrack at this point. That's a deal killer. Also ran into another issue: when I chose a device connected to my MTP/AV USB as the target of the MIDI track, DP 9.01 was sending MIDI on ALL MIDI Outs of the MPT/AV. It was not sending on just the MIDI Out it should have been. At that point, I said the heck with it and bailed out. I'm not in the mood to trouble shoot that, but I'll report to MOTU.

Anyway... as I said, AlphaTrack not working ends it for me. I have to have a fader to adjust levels here and there... I just can't use a mouse. The single-fader approach of AlphaTrack always worked for me. Perhaps I'll look at the new Behringer control surface, but I like the way AlphaTrack doesn't have to dominate the workspace.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James, I'm not going to say that the Alpha Track isn't the cat's meow, or anything like that, but since MOTU fixed the Magic Trackpad issue with DP, mixing with a mouse is totally wonderful on that device. DP9.01 has been heaven for me since I got back to work a few weeks ago after my 3 month sabbatical. I have only been doing straight-ahead work, though. I haven't been trying out things and testing to see what's broken or not. Probably wouldn't turn up anything you guys didn't already hash out here over the summer. But for just plain-old recording audio, mixing, and doing MIDI on great VIs, this thing is rocking.

Alpha Track is a great device, but barring some sort of miracle, it appears that it's not much longer for this world. Some of its functionality could be done with keyboard shortcuts. But the fader could be the Magic Trackpad. It's just wonderful on the Mixing Board, and the feel is not totally unlike that of using a real fader. (without the knob)

I know, I'm probably wasting my breath here, but I'm just saying there may be other solutions that could wean you off the Alpha Track, cool as it may be. I just don't see a future in it. Of course, it's a moot point right now anyway, if MOTU's USB drivers aren't quite ready for bringing life back to the MTP-AV. But while they're fixing that, you have some time to think about it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... well, I'm back with Yosemite and I'm going to stay there for now. I had a way I like to work. Click a track in the Track Overview with my mouse with my right hand, reach over to the Alpha Track fader with my left and adjust. I'll have to consider alternatives at some point, but doesn't seem to be anything super compelling about El Capitan that makes me want to turn the Alpha Track permanently into sculpture.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Yeah... well, I'm back with Yosemite and I'm going to stay there for now. I had a way I like to work. Click a track in the Track Overview with my mouse with my right hand, reach over to the Alpha Track fader with my left and adjust. I'll have to consider alternatives at some point, but doesn't seem to be anything super compelling about El Capitan that makes me want to turn the Alpha Track permanently into sculpture.
Don't blame you a bit. As long as you can hold out. It's a nice device. Why the heck did they quit supporting it, anyway? Did they just go out of business or something? (Or did they get bought out by Gibson???)
frankf

Post by frankf »

Shooshie wrote: (Or did they get bought out by Gibson???)
After all these years the blood still boils :)
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

frankf wrote:
Shooshie wrote: (Or did they get bought out by Gibson???)
After all these years the blood still boils :)
Let it go - I have got over Opcode Vision now and I do love my Gibson guitars - DP is great now and sometimes old hardware and ways of working can do with a freshen up. I had never thought of the Magic Trackpad for the way Shooshie describes - going to have to investigate....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.