WNS Noise Suppressor Opinons?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

WNS Noise Suppressor Opinons?

Post by James Steele »

Just saw that a sale is going on for this plug. Anybody have any opinions. I have some dialog recorded that I want to clean up some background noise on. Any recommendations. It's currently going for about $199 or a little less.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Robert Randolph

Re: WNS Noise Suppressor Opinons?

Post by Robert Randolph »

I've used it and I've got better results (for a lower price) with Voxengo Rendunoise.

Can't really say I've found the value with WNS.
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

Acon Digital's Restoration Suite is a great buy for $100: http://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/

There's also RX4, but that's a bit more expensive.

Rich
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey James......
Just to further complicate your decision.... :wink:

I picked up SPL De-Verb from http://plugin-alliance.com/en/products/spl_de-verb.html to have on hand for reducing ambient noise on location recordings of voices on the videos I produce.

Have not had the opportunity to really put it to the test just yet, but it may give you what you need for a bit less coin. (Fully-functional 14-day demo.)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

+1 for RX4 Denoiser. Has worked wonders for me. Also have Redunoise from Voxengo. It works well though with not as much success as the iZotope software.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

RX 4 is an essential tool, IMHO. Now that it includes Dialog DeNoiser (used to be part of the Advanced version only) it's the way to go.

It also cleans up vinyl, removes hum from anything including electric guitar tracks and lets you create CD masters from live to cassette tapes recorded in the 1980s. That's only a partial list:
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/aud ... fgod6kwCJA

$295.99 from AudioDeluxe -- coupon code LABORDAY. Sweetwater usually matches. If you have RX 1-3, the upgrade price is the same.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

guitardood wrote:+1 for RX4 Denoiser.
Absolutely. Well worth the price.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

billf wrote:
guitardood wrote:+1 for RX4 Denoiser.
Absolutely. Well worth the price.
I'll pile another +1 here. But I am still using RX1 just fine.

Take it from the most interesting audio engineer in the world:

"I don't always denoise, but when I do, I prefer RX."
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

RX1 here too. Works.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for all the great input. It looks like I'm going to be trying a lot of demos. RX4 seems like it gets a lot of high marks, although at $300, I think I might give the Acon Digital suite a shot for $100. Although I'll do demos of everything. This might be a one-off type need for me so I'm hesitant to get spend much right now. Thanks for all the input!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Of the standard versions, only RX4 has the Dialog DeNoiser tool (introduced in RX3 Advanced) but RX 1-3 can certainly be made to work using the regular DeNoiser tool.

I forget that I still have RX1 and that it's pretty good. The GUI for RX2 was a system hog to beat the band -- slowed DP to a crawl unless it was the only plug open. RX3 was/is great.

All four versions can be run as stand alone processors and some of the tools function better or only function at all that way.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Oops. RX4. Duh!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Robert Randolph wrote:I've used it and I've got better results (for a lower price) with Voxengo Rendunoise.

Shame the Voxengo Redunoise is 32 bit vst Windows only. Just like their Pristine Space :(
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

musicman691 wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I've used it and I've got better results (for a lower price) with Voxengo Rendunoise.

Shame the Voxengo Redunoise is 32 bit vst Windows only. Just like their Pristine Space :(
OK... I found this on their web site. Redunoise gives nearly 33,000 samples of latency. No thanks.

Although all noise reduction apps and plugs use some sort of dynamic filtering, the good apps (only ones to consider here) have a Learn function. It listens to the noise then filters it. I wouldn't consider any that can't do this.

SoundSoap is another cheapware solution and it has the learn capability. $79 from the App Store; $49 upgrade from a previous version. No demo, however, you pays your monies and takes your chances. It's a one trick pony compared to RX4; still, it might be all that you need.

Hey, James, I found my old BIAS license while cleaning my bookcase 2 days ago. If they'll accept the transfer from me to you, it would qualify for the $49 upgrade. I can email a scan of the license card. (Wow, I thought I had tossed that box 11 years ago when nothing worked in OS 10.4.x). $30 is $30 and I will never take advantage of that upgrade offer. Let me know.

RX4 needs a smaller sample than anything else in the Learn mode. It has other functionality. The Hum Removal, for example, works independently and gives different results used beore or after DeNoiser – in both cases, better than noise removal alone.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/aud ... /features/
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

RX4 , melodyne DNA, and DP are a dream team.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.