QuickScribe Questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

QuickScribe Questions

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi..........
Could use advice from some of you who know QuickScribe much better than me.

1. I the Score Options… dialog, I see where I can insert a tempo indication in bar one. Any way to include tempo markings from elsewhere in the piece (other than to put them into markers)?

2. Any way to change fonts (like for markers)? Not afraid of some simple component editing, if that's what it takes.

3. The Score Options… dialog discusses creating a "title page," but I see no way to actually add a title at the top of a score or part. What am I missing?

4. Anyone else have chord symbols slide off the intended notes/beat and end up at the end of the previous measure (like on beat 5 of a 4/4 bar)? (Has happened to me a few times, most recently, when I shifted a part a dozen ticks earlier in time to compensate for the slow attack in a pad that I didn't want to change.)

5. Using the Track Selector to choose which parts go into the score. When I add a new part, it doesn't "stick" in the track selector list like it does when you choose a track in the mixing window, for example. Anyone experience this?

Thanks in advance for your help/ideas/advice!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Re: QuickScribe Questions

Post by stubbsonic »

1. & 3. You can use the text tool, both for titles and for entering in tempo info. With markers and with lyrics they will remain located at the specific time. The text tool would require you to check the tempo text's location after you make any changes.

The Title page will just leave a little more room up top for a title.

2. To change the font for the Markers, open your score or part in QS and click on a marker to select it. Then go up to the main menu bar and look for the text menu. Depending on your version of DP you can access changing the fonts in that menu one way or another.

4. I've had the chords act screwy in the QS editor, and I think I gave up on it, and just wrote them in. But mostly it works ok.

5. I don't use it that way, so I haven't seen that issue. I always select tracks from the TO and open the QS editor from there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Awesome info. Thanks, StubSonic!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Anyone know a way around titling? When I add text at the top of the title page, it appears on every page, which means it covers the music on pages 2-X.
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote: 4. Anyone else have chord symbols slide off the intended notes/beat and end up at the end of the previous measure (like on beat 5 of a 4/4 bar)? (Has happened to me a few times, most recently, when I shifted a part a dozen ticks earlier in time to compensate for the slow attack in a pad that I didn't want to change.)
Yes! Chord symbols is all I really wanted from QS, and they kept moving around. I stopped using it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Rick Cornish wrote:Anyone know a way around titling? When I add text at the top of the title page, it appears on every page, which means it covers the music on pages 2-X.
I'm not seeing that issue here. In Score Options... Make sure you tick the box that says "First page is title page". Then use the text tool to put the title above the beginning.

But even then, if I put a title on the first page, I can't make it appear on subsequent pages. Perhaps it's a bug.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

stubbsonic wrote:I'm not seeing that issue here. In Score Options... Make sure you tick the box that says "First page is title page". Then use the text tool to put the title above the beginning.

But even then, if I put a title on the first page, I can't make it appear on subsequent pages. Perhaps it's a bug.
Now it's working. Weird. I did get DP to crash a couple times while adjusting font, point size and text box location. Worked eventually, but seems unstable.
Rick Cornish