Touch Screen for DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Touch Screen for DP

Post by Simsy »

Hi

I was about to final take the plunge with the Slate MTI as I spoke with them and they said they were releasing DP support Q4 this year. But was doing some reading up on it and found this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vbRSqzu7k

Basically it is a frame with touch screen glass that you just place over your monitor and it can do the exact same thing (without the DP macros that slate are writing) but you use the DP interface. According to someone on gearslutz this is actually the frame and glass that slate use. It is only $299 for 27"!!

What do you think? Opinions - I am seriously tempted!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Touch Screen for DP

Post by bayswater »

I'm skeptical. When working in DP, it's usually for 5-6 hours at a time. It's enough to be using the usual devices. Holding out my arms to reach a touch screen for 5-6 hours looks like perpetual back ache to me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No apparent support for the Mac leaves me cold.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:No apparent support for the Mac leaves me cold.
I guess it needs some level of OS screen touch support to build on. So what we need is DP for iOS and a 30" iPad.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
I guess it needs some level of OS screen touch support to build on. So what we need is DP for iOS and a 30" iPad.
Ok. Works for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

You can use these drivers for mac

Touch-Base Ltd - Universal Touch Screen and Controller Drivers - http://www.touch-base.com/

Actually just read the instructions for the GS4S and it says

" Simply plug the USB A cable into your Windows, Mac, Linux, or Android iStick computer and install the driver software, run a quick calibration and you're done."

So must have mac support?

Just think of drawing all those expression and mod curves with your finger.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It's definitely nice, but I think it's one of those things whose concept seems good, but in practice it doesn't really work.
Unless that touch screen is used in a position similar to the video (where do we put the keyboard?), it's hard to imagine using it.

I just pretended for a moment I had this thing with my current setup, and I don't think I'd like it. For starters, I can't reach the monitors with my arms from my normal sitting position. And if I reach out and don't remember to go back and sit straight and support my back against the chair, I get instant back pain.

Then, reaching with my arms gets physically tiring very fast. After just 40-50 seconds I start feeling the weight of my arm. I can't imagine doing it with all that MIDI editing!

Now, a 15-inch touch screen, that could be kept close, maybe near the side, iPad-style, would definitely be nice for certain things!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

FMiguelez wrote:It's definitely nice, but I think it's one of those things whose concept seems good, but in practice it doesn't really work.
Unless that touch screen is used in a position similar to the video (where do we put the keyboard?), it's hard to imagine using it.

I just pretended for a moment I had this thing with my current setup, and I don't think I'd like it. For starters, I can't reach the monitors with my arms from my normal sitting position. And if I reach out and don't remember to go back and sit straight and support my back against the chair, I get instant back pain.

Then, reaching with my arms gets physically tiring very fast. After just 40-50 seconds I start feeling the weight of my arm. I can't imagine doing it with all that MIDI editing!

Now, a 15-inch touch screen, that could be kept close, maybe near the side, iPad-style, would definitely be nice for certain things!
I was going to embed it into my desk. I built my own studio desk, so was going to cut a hole out and have it in the desk and change my 2 monitor set up to one big wide screen one.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

FMiguelez wrote:It's definitely nice, but I think it's one of those things whose concept seems good, but in practice it doesn't really work.

on this GS thread a user took the touch screen concept in a direction that looks pretty cool to me........
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... een+mixing
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

kgdrum wrote: on this GS thread a user took the touch screen concept in a direction that looks pretty cool to me........
Wow! Well, with a setup like that, I take back what I wrote :)

That looks awesome.

I wish I had the luxury of different spaces for MIDI/keyboards and one for mixing, without a keyboard between me and the monitors...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Simsy

Post by Simsy »

A bit more googling and I found ths - Acer T272HL only 299!!

Here is a review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JitA4fMLLmc

Here it is working with a mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1UhgZyGeTM

My local PC world has them in stock. Might pop down today and grab one, got 30 days return to play with it. That's my day sorted!!

Will report back.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

FMiguelez wrote:
kgdrum wrote: on this GS thread a user took the touch screen concept in a direction that looks pretty cool to me........
Wow! Well, with a setup like that, I take back what I wrote :)

That looks awesome.

I wish I had the luxury of different spaces for MIDI/keyboards and one for mixing, without a keyboard between me and the monitors...

Here's a link in case you haven't seen it of the user showing it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4AFQ6vrAQs
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........