MusicXML to Finale

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MusicXML to Finale

Post by Rick Cornish »

Exported a MusicMXL of a piece I'm working on with the intent of cleaning it up for a lead sheet.

I exported three tracks from DP 9.01. When I imported the file into Finale 2014, I got the right number of parts with the correct part names, but gibberish on the staves where notation and chord symbols should have been. I manually changed the font of notes and chord symbols, and notes displayed better (though still not correctly) and rests came out as gibberish (as did chord symbols).

What am I doing wrong?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: MusicXML to Finale

Post by mikehalloran »

What font do use in Finale?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Run Font Book (Apple utilities) and resolve conflicts there. That usually works. You might have to re-download fonts from MakeMusic but I doubt it.

Here's the instructions to remove conflicts. You can also SELECT ALL fonts and VALIDATE them.
Resolve duplicate fonts
Font Book identifies duplicate fonts with a yellow warning symbol in the list of fonts.

Choose Edit > Look for Enabled Duplicates.

Click an option:

Resolve Automatically: Font Book disables or moves duplicates to the Trash, as set in Font Book preferences.

Resolve Manually: Continue to the next step to review and handle duplicates yourself.

Examine the duplicates and their copies, then select a copy to keep.

The copy that Font Book recommends keeping is labeled “Active copy” and is selected. To review other copies, select one.

Resolve the current duplicate or, if there is more than one, all duplicates.

If you want the inactive copies to go in the Trash, select “Resolve duplicates by moving duplicate font files to the Trash.”
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I have Finale set to default (Sonata) but applied Jazz font manually and got *some* improvement. Will try font book next time I'm in studio.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't think Sonata has been the default font for Finale in decades. It was in the early '90s, I remember – I still have it on a floppy from Adobe. From the manual:

The Finale Installer automatically installs the Maestro, Maestro Wide, Maestro Percussion, Petrucci, Tamburo, Broadway Copyist, Jazz, and Engraver Fonts TrueTypes directly into your system's Fonts folder

Try changing to Petrucci. That should fix you up.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Fixed (kinda). Had to re-install Finale Fonts.

However, chord symbols didn't come over in the export. Anyone have an idea?
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thank goodness Make Music has a font download. Good on you, man.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote:Fixed (kinda). Had to re-install Finale Fonts.

However, chord symbols didn't come over in the export. Anyone have an idea?
Is Maestro your symbols font? If not, make it so and see if that helps.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Arghhh!

Looks like chord symbol import isn't presently supported (I mis-read the manual).
Rick Cornish