DP9.01 forgetting its crossfade edits!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9.01 forgetting its crossfade edits!

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

This is the second time I notice DP9.01 forgetting some of its crossfade edits after reopening the session (different projects).

I had noticed something weird about this a few days ago, but I thought I was just tired and it was my mistake. But yesterday night it happened again... I kept hearing clicks and pops, and, when seeing what was happening, I noticed that A LOT (20 to 30%) of the previously made edits were gone (the fades in/out or crossfades were gone).

Has anyone else noticed this?
Last edited by FMiguelez on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP9.01 forgetting its crossfade edits!

Post by delcosmos »

Yes! I noticed that.

Yesterday I was mixing with DP9.01 a session that was made on DP8.07 and noticed some plops and clicks, I tought that maybe this was happening because it was originally edited on a previous version of DP.

Hope they fix this soon, I think I'm going back to DP8.07 again :(
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
labman

Post by labman »

Does 9.0 do this too?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

labman wrote:Does 9.0 do this too?
I didn't notice it there, labman.
But I would look out for this anyway... I can't think of something they did to DP9.01 exclusively that ruined the fades feature.

But it's really annoying, especially when you check your "final" version –with fresh ears, a couple of days later, just before the final bounce–, only to find sudden clicks an pops all over the place. Those are the same edits that took you hours to finely craft days before!

I had to go track by track redoing my crossfades for my last project. Twice.
I suppose I'll have to tame my vocalists' consonants by automating Bite Volume instead of cutting the SBs for Bite Gain while MOTU repairs this.

:evil:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Has anyone reported it to MOTU? I haven't seen this one... yet.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I just took the 5 minutes to create a MOTU techlink.

I really don't like this. Last time it happened was around DP6 or so...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Do you know if the missing crossfades were put there using DP 8? Or were some or all of them put there using DP 9? I have a large project created in 9 for testing -- it has dozens of fades and none of them are disappearing -- yet.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The last 2 projects, where I noticed this issue, were created from my template, from a version modified after I upgraded to 9.01 from 9.0.

So they were created and opened by DP9.01/

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:So they were created and opened by DP9.01/
Thanks. I'll have to watch more closely.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I had this happen in version 9.0 and now once in 9.01. In particular, I have some clip files that I took from files I had orginally created in earlier versions of DP. When I drag them into DP 9 or 9.01, the cross fades have all vanished. And I did have it happen once to a file that I recorded in DP 9, edited in DP 9, and then later found the crossfades gone. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen (and is extremely irritating).

I learned the value of control-F, but that makes all crossfades the same and you need to determine whether some need to be faster than others and fix them all.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
midiw

Post by midiw »

This is not a nice way of saying this fellow MOTU 9 users but i am glad to read that others are having this problem.
Mac OS: Mojave
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Yesterday I was mixing a song with DP 9.01 and suddenly the track I was automating went crazy!
I pressed stop, and when I played again the song the level was FUL BLAST, it almost blew my speakers. Very crazy, because the screen showed the fader at zero, but the output of the track was full volume and it didn't respond.

I had to quit and restart DP and it worked again.

I will fill a tech note tomorrow because this is a terrible bug.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

My support ticket was looked at last week.

Robin is trying to reproduce the "lost crossfades" bug, but so far she hasn't had luck doing it.
Hopefully she will run into this issue, so she can send it to the engineers.

If anyone else is having this problem, please let MOTU know with a support ticket. Otherwise, do not cry and whine when this is not resolved in the next update...

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes, I've had it happen a few times, but thought maybe I'd switched chunks and gotten it confused. I didn't have a chance to do a more thorough problem evaluation session yet.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH