Global grid value?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Global grid value?

Post by musicman691 »

I know how to change the grid value on a per project basis but is there any way to have a default value such that when you open a blank project you have a certain grid value? Or is there a way to disable the grid on a global basis rather than on per project?
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Global grid value?

Post by Robert Randolph »

musicman691 wrote:I know how to change the grid value on a per project basis but is there any way to have a default value such that when you open a blank project you have a certain grid value? Or is there a way to disable the grid on a global basis rather than on per project?
Use templates, or use clippings.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Robert Randolph wrote:
musicman691 wrote:I know how to change the grid value on a per project basis but is there any way to have a default value such that when you open a blank project you have a certain grid value? Or is there a way to disable the grid on a global basis rather than on per project?
Use templates, or use clippings.
So there's no way to disable grid mode on a global basis then. Not big on templates but if that's what I have to do - oh well.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

1. Start a new project however you do it.
2. Make changes to grid however you want it.
3. Save as template and check Use as Default New SomethingOrOther. (I'm not at DP right now, so I don't know exactly what it's called.)

Now when you select New from menu it will use that template.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Okay so I've gone the template route; never been a big fan of them but if that's what I have to do then so be it. I do have a question though - should the grid usage set up in the Sequence Editor (main screen I work in - not using the CW) be reflected in the MIDI editor as well? When I open the MIDI editor it has some kind of default setting with the grid mode on. If I save the template with the grid mode set the same as what I set in the SE (grid mode off) when I reopen said template the grid mode in the MIDI editor is returned to it's default settings and NOT what I have set in the SE.
frankf

Global grid value?

Post by frankf »

No there is no command for turning off grid snap globally (see the snap information bar and window but there is a command to toggle it on/off in the current window. See the Commands window, search for grid. The grid status "sticks" in the current window when you move to another window and back. I've been using the same command before I started with DP with Studio Vision. It's fast and second nature. You can also Command drag any event to toggle the grid.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB