New to DP, how do I multi-bounce stems like I did in Logic

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ag75
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New to DP, how do I multi-bounce stems like I did in Logic

Post by ag75 »

I am pretty new to DP and am working on a project with a composer who uses it exclusively. I am exporting stems from his sessions into Ableton and I'm wondering what's the most efficient way to do this. In logic I would just bounce out all of the stems at once but that doesn't seem to be that easy in DP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Andrew
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: New to DP, how do I multi-bounce stems like I did in Log

Post by kdm »

I'm relatively new to DP as well so someone else might have a better suggestion, but I would setup busses/auxes for each stem and re-record those back into stem tracks. This is what I do in DP now, and is the way I've handled stems in Nuendo (even though it now has a form of batch export). Once you have the bus/aux/re-record tracks setup with each track routed to it's own stem bus, it's easier to manage the final output. It's real time of course, but it might not be slower than bouncing each stem individually offline.
groove

Post by groove »

Select the tracks, including any aux and busses up to the last output stage of the tracks you want a stem and the region time length, hit bounce to disk and choose the relevant options for your project.
Repeat for the remaining stems you want to create.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Easiest way to me is freezing tracks and exporting the frozen tracks.
Requires one pass. Since you can duplicate entire songs with Chunks you can have one 'messy' version with frozen tracks etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And whatever you do, be sure to ADD more time to your selection to account for reverb tails, etc. DP DOES NOT calculate these when you select all. Now there's an idea for a new feature! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Just make sure you're aware that the resulting stems will be different if you freeze them or bounce them.

The former doesn't include anything assigned to its sends or after its output, i.e. volume automation of a subgroup, so this definitely won't work if you need your stems to sound exactly like your final mix.
The latter will include everything play-enabled and routed up to the main output (your master buss), so this would include your reverbs and anything done down the chain (aux plugins, subgroup automation, etc). Like this, you guarantee that your mix will sound identical to your stems (except if you had plugins in your master bus, which I rarely do).
groove wrote:Select the tracks, including any aux and busses up to the last output stage of the tracks you want a stem and the region time length, hit bounce to disk and choose the relevant options for your project.
Is including all the aux tracks in the selection still necessary? I think selecting the desired audio tracks for a time range is enough, but I could be wrong...

And to the OP, once you have your selection in place, it's a piece of cake to bounce multiple stems, but this depends on whether you have aux tracks as stems or not. How do you have your outputs organised?
If you have your tracks output to their corresponding stems, then you only play-enable each stem, press the shortcut for bouncing, wait for a few seconds, and repeat. This can be done in a few minutes.

Another alternative is to setup your template in such a way that you can print them all in real time in one pass. This is how I do it, and since everything is pre-routed, doing this takes me literally a few seconds. If you set your recording time to a range with autostop, you can even go get a coffee and come back to find everything recorded (I also record the final unmastered mix and the mastered mix in that same pass).

Either way works pretty well. But if you don't have aux tracks as subgroups, it can be difficult and annoying to solo individual tracks you want in your bounces. I remember it was tedious and easy to make mistakes like that.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Studio Llama

Post by Studio Llama »

Hi all

I'm going to jump on this thread.

In my current project, I want to bounce down individual tracks to be used in remixes.

Several vocal tracks, percussion tracks etc. All with EQ, compression and some FX. In my mix they are all routed to sub-masters, ALL MUSIC, ALL VOX, etc. Then to the 2 bus.

The way I can think to do it right now is highlight each track and bounce to disk one at a time, but with all the processing this is taking a couple of minutes per track.

I guess I could create a send from each track going to a stereo audio track and real time record, but this wouldn't print any aux FX.

Grateful for any tips on how this is done efficiently.

Gareth
reedster

Post by reedster »

MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

Consolidate the audio on each track then hold keys control,option,command and the Letter L and then select the highlighted file in the soundbites window and drag it to the desk top. i am not sure if you can do multiple files that way but you can definitely do each file that way. Its fast and simple!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.