Reason/Rewire/DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Reason/Rewire/DP9

Post by musicman691 »

Propellerheads is having a $30US off offer until Aug 23 for Reason owners to upgrade to Reason 8.3 I currently have Reason 7. I know how to do the rewire thing with DP but the question I am asking relates to stability. Specifically - are there any stability issues when running Reason 8 rewired into DP9? Or would I be better off staying with Reason 7?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Reason/Rewire/DP9

Post by mikehalloran »

You may have to be the one who tells us.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:You may have to be the one who tells us.
So I'm in virgin territory here with regards Reason and rewire then? Doesn't sound like fun but there's always a first time eh?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

No stability problems at all - been using Reason with DP for ever. No difference with DP9 and Reason 8.3 - stable.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:No stability problems at all - been using Reason with DP for ever. No difference with DP9 and Reason 8.3 - stable.
Thanks for the info. Got a question: do you use Combinators in Reason? I ask because at least in PT I had to use two routes for the MIDI into Reason - one to the master and another to the Combinator itself because using only one route would pass notes and the other would pass CC7 volume control. Do you have to do this in DP as well?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

musicman691 wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:No stability problems at all - been using Reason with DP for ever. No difference with DP9 and Reason 8.3 - stable.
Thanks for the info. Got a question: do you use Combinators in Reason? I ask because at least in PT I had to use two routes for the MIDI into Reason - one to the master and another to the Combinator itself because using only one route would pass notes and the other would pass CC7 volume control. Do you have to do this in DP as well?
No - you just make the MIDI Track point to the Reason instrument. I have setup Reason for some instruments to be split between outputs 1-2 and 3-4 just to get 2 instances of Reason in the DP mixer in theory to spread the cpu load - I use Reason in a V-rack anyway. But its pretty simple - but follow the user guide for setting up Reason with DP.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
No - you just make the MIDI Track point to the Reason instrument. I have setup Reason for some instruments to be split between outputs 1-2 and 3-4 just to get 2 instances of Reason in the DP mixer in theory to spread the cpu load - I use Reason in a V-rack anyway. But its pretty simple - but follow the user guide for setting up Reason with DP.
When you say no what are you saying no to - using Combinators or not needing to use 2 paths for the MIDI from DP into a Reason Combinator? No matter what I try when using a Combinator I still need to use a device group with a pair of paths to get Reason to respond to both MIDI notes and cc7 volume messages.

Can't ask over in the Reason forums because they are no more. Just checked and they say they're closed and to ask away on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Don't know when the forums went away.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

musicman691 wrote: When you say no what are you saying no to - using Combinators or not needing to use 2 paths for the MIDI from DP into a Reason Combinator? No matter what I try when using a Combinator I still need to use a device group with a pair of paths to get Reason to respond to both MIDI notes and cc7 volume messages.

Can't ask over in the Reason forums because they are no more. Just checked and they say they're closed and to ask away on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Don't know when the forums went away.
I meant no you don't have to do this in DP. I use Combinators all the time. I am not quite sure what your issue is as I don't have any issue like this with DP and Reason rewired. You set Reason up to be Rewired - you have to have Reason as an aux track (or in a V-rack) and you have a separate MIDI track assigned to the Reason instrument (it lists all your instruments in your Reason rack)- just choose the first instance of the Combinator you want as the second instance is something else I don't understand but gives no sound - something to do with Combinators. I haven't tried cc7 vol messages - so unless that is what the second instance of the Combinator is for I don't know. Maybe that's what your issue is - I don't know as I don't use cc7 for Reason MIDI tracks (I usually turn these into audio and then would mix with automation on the mixer for volume levels).

But it all works fine.
Gary Shepherd
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
musicman691 wrote: When you say no what are you saying no to - using Combinators or not needing to use 2 paths for the MIDI from DP into a Reason Combinator? No matter what I try when using a Combinator I still need to use a device group with a pair of paths to get Reason to respond to both MIDI notes and cc7 volume messages.

I meant no you don't have to do this in DP. I use Combinators all the time. I am not quite sure what your issue is as I don't have any issue like this with DP and Reason rewired. You set Reason up to be Rewired - you have to have Reason as an aux track (or in a V-rack) and you have a separate MIDI track assigned to the Reason instrument (it lists all your instruments in your Reason rack)- just choose the first instance of the Combinator you want as the second instance is something else I don't understand but gives no sound - something to do with Combinators. I haven't tried cc7 vol messages - so unless that is what the second instance of the Combinator is for I don't know. Maybe that's what your issue is - I don't know as I don't use cc7 for Reason MIDI tracks (I usually turn these into audio and then would mix with automation on the mixer for volume levels).

But it all works fine.
Okay so you don't send cc7 message over from DP and I do. And it's not a second instance of a Combinator but a second path into Reason like I outlined before. Reason has an oddball way of dealing with cc7 messages and Combinators. No Combinator - no problem - just one path from DP (or any other daw) to Reason.

The reason :sorry: I send over cc7 messages is my musician background of keyboards and particular organ where using the volume (swell) pedal is an integral part of the performance. Guitars as well. So not doing that and recording that doesn't work for me. As far as mixing tracks - that's a different thing altogether. But whatever each of us is comfortable with - that's the way to work and neither method is wrong.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

musicman691 wrote: The reason :sorry: I send over cc7 messages is my musician background of keyboards and particular organ where using the volume (swell) pedal is an integral part of the performance. Guitars as well. So not doing that and recording that doesn't work for me. As far as mixing tracks - that's a different thing altogether. But whatever each of us is comfortable with - that's the way to work and neither method is wrong.
I was trying to help rather than saying my method is better - I wouldn't use a swell pedal when playing keyboards or guitars as I could do that afterwards. I have no real idea if the swell pedal and cc7 messages work. I tried drawing volume messages in a MIDI track assigned to a Combinator, and in a second MIDI track assigned to the Combinator mix channel. It didn't swell the volume - I suspect a Combinator is more complex. I don't know how you would do a swell like that unless you automate the fader in the mixer. If you can have a fader assigned to a swell pedal then that would work - albeit the volume of the track or the sound source would not change, only the monitoring as the fader went up and down. But that would give the same effect.
Gary Shepherd
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
musicman691 wrote: The reason :sorry: I send over cc7 messages is my musician background of keyboards and particular organ where using the volume (swell) pedal is an integral part of the performance. Guitars as well. So not doing that and recording that doesn't work for me. As far as mixing tracks - that's a different thing altogether. But whatever each of us is comfortable with - that's the way to work and neither method is wrong.
I was trying to help rather than saying my method is better - I wouldn't use a swell pedal when playing keyboards or guitars as I could do that afterwards. I have no real idea if the swell pedal and cc7 messages work. I tried drawing volume messages in a MIDI track assigned to a Combinator, and in a second MIDI track assigned to the Combinator mix channel. It didn't swell the volume - I suspect a Combinator is more complex. I don't know how you would do a swell like that unless you automate the fader in the mixer. If you can have a fader assigned to a swell pedal then that would work - albeit the volume of the track or the sound source would not change, only the monitoring as the fader went up and down. But that would give the same effect.
Never said your method was better just that we each have our own ways of working and as long as they work for each of us that's good. It's just that I'm not a huge fan of doing things in the mix if I can get it right on initial input. It comes from a long time of live playing where you have to get it right on playing or the whole audience will think you suck.

But you're absolutely right on one thing - Combinators are a strange beast to work with the routing and Reason's documentation on MIDI and routing leaves a lot to be desired. And now with the forums gone there's no real way to interact with the Reason community as a whole. More's the pity I guess.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Try Gearslutz - that forum may have an answer - or a general Google may turn up an answer somewhere. Or ask help on the Support page of propellerheads.
Gary Shepherd
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Try Gearslutz - that forum may have an answer - or a general Google may turn up an answer somewhere. Or ask help on the Support page of propellerheads.
Thanks but I stay away from GS - more noise than I care to put up with. I'd sooner call Mike Tyson a sissy than post on GS
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

PUF went away like a year ago. I was there since 2004 and I felt like the Internet went away. It was pretty startling.

That said, the issue could be volume CC7 going into a specific device inside the combi so that it goes into a scream4 harder, or maybe does something totally different.

Can't you define what CC does what for combinator programming if you open the advanced editor?

I'll try this out later, but I never really used require, just used reasons MIDI editor.

Slightly off topic - what do you do in DP via rewire that you can't do with reasons MIDI capabilities? If it's going through an AU fx, ok, or if you like to print live performance of parameter changes for sound design? But other than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dp 8.07 - 2011 21.5" iMac 2.5 i5, 32GB Ram - OS X 10.10.5
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Behringer ADA8200, DigiDesign ElevenRack
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Reasontalk.com is the most active reason forum (with participating PH staff), and there's an active IRC channel at irc.rc6.org #Reason

Come join us :D