Is there a real performance improvement with VE Pro?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

If DP9 is working fine with the number of instrument tracks that I'm currently using in my single computer setup, would I gain anything by adding VE Pro to the mix? Or would it just add one more layer of complexity (not to mention an added expense)?

Thanks,

Mike

15 " MacBook Pro, OS 10.9.5, 2.8 GHz, 16 Gig RAM, Kontact 5, and various orchestral sample libraries.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a real performance improvement with VE Pro?

Post by williemyers »

Mike, FWIW here's my similar question (and a reply):
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p508159

but you also might want to note another question that I posted (but hasn't gotten a reply):
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60388
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thank you so much, Willie. I will check them out. I'm surprised how little attention this post has gotten, but maybe nobody has any experience with VE Pro on a single system.

Mike
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I didn't reply because I lack firsthand experience. If you're open to anecdotal, second hand info, then I'll mention that I have a good friend who went from running VIs within DP, to running them with VE Pro on the same Mac and told me he noticed a significant performance improvement. He was able to run projects that had previously been choking his machine.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
frankf

Post by frankf »

While DP was only a 32 bit app, I ran VEP Pro on my 2008 3.2 ghz 8 core Mac Pro with maxed out RAM to access the RAM 32 bit DP could not. I saw a great improvement in VI performance in those VIs (eg Kontakt) which could take advantage of the memory that DP could not. I also used, and still do to an extent, a distributive allocation of HD resources. Then came 64 bit DP and I set up some templates without VEP. Performance was equally good if not better and my workflow became simpler and I haven't used VEP since. Then I began replacing my spinner drives with SSDs and got a huge performance and workflow improvement. The bottleneck in my 7 year old 3,1 system is processor power, but my work is mostly film and TV composing and not a lot of mixing, and while I use a lot of VIs and tracks in my projects, I don't use a ton of audio plug ins on each track, which certainly would tax my system and push me toward a system with faster processors.
HTH,
Frank

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

I run VEPro 5 both locally and on my slave systems. I'm on Windows, so I don't have a direct comparison to OSX, but I am sure this scenario is going to be similar. I can say that VEPro does in fact offload processing from pretty much any DAW's audio engine. I am running a large template in DP9 with multiple VEPro inputs and hardware inputs from slaves. The only thing that seems to be hitting the meter are my reverbs, which are somewhat cpu-intensive. I haven't loaded the same template internally in DP because I know from working with other DAWs that it does offload enough to be well worth it.

However, the biggest advantage to VEPro is being able to load up a template and set it to decoupled so you can simply switch projects without reloading samples every time. For me, that alone is worth having VEPro.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

VEP with DP on one machine is my standard setup. I could not run mixes any other way as it is indeed much more efficient. I highly recommend.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

I am another user who successfully uses VE Pro with DP (both DP 8 and DP 9). Although small by other users' standards, my modest 55+ orchestral templet is rock solid with Digital Performer and VE Pro 5. This is on one machine. I have two other smaller templets (but still CPU and memory intensive) that uses VIs split between my two computers which are also very stable when using VE Pro with DP 8 & 9. At least for me, it does take a while to get everything configured into a master templet. But the time and effort is worth it. (FYI, I've been using DP 9 exclusively with VE Pro 5 since the upgrade. Haven't used DP 8 in a while.)

I wish you well with your decision.
Last edited by zuul-studios on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

This is all good to hear. Thanks, guys. It sounds like getting VE Pro would actually provide a benefit to my single computer setup. I wonder why its audio engine is more efficient than DP's? It almost defies logic that adding another software layer and more complexity would be more efficient than an up-to-date DAW like DP9.

Mike
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

MikeInBoston wrote:This is all good to hear. Thanks, guys. It sounds like getting VE Pro would actually provide a benefit to my single computer setup. I wonder why its audio engine is more efficient than DP's? It almost defies logic that adding another software layer and more complexity would be more efficient than an up-to-date DAW like DP9.

Mike
MikeInBoston - Before I continue, I want to make it very clear that I am NOT an expert in both Digital Performer and VEPro 5. As you probably know, there are wonderful experts here that are just a wealth of knowledge to when it comes to using either of these two programs. I am not one of them. Now, with this said, I could never get DP 8 or DP 9 (including all of their updates) to handle the larger orchestral templet that I created without choking my computer without the use of VEPro 5. Since I did a major update to my Mac Pro, having it refurbished from an Early 2009 to a 2010, I have not tried using DP 9 without VEPro 5. I just haven't the time to check and see if my very "snappy" refurbished computer can work well with DP 9 and allow it to manage my few CPU & memory intensive templets all by itself. I made the initial investment to VEPro 5, a few years ago, because my DP 8 (at the time) was not handling my templets without maxing out the CPU and choking the computer. Although I do not believe that I am the only one with this (past) "issue", I will simply say that it was probably my inexperience in using Digital Performer that caused my problem(s) with the program. Since investing in VEPro 5 (and having a two computer "master/slave" set-up), I've grown to enjoy Digital Performer for its strengths as I toil away with my modest projects. I am quite happy utilizing VEPro 5 as an important companion with DP 9 for my music-sequencing and modest video-scoring projects. I can not explain WHY VEPro 5 seems to manage large CPU & memory intensive software instrument-based templets well, but it does. At least it does for me.

By the way. . . in the past, I've used the exact same orchestral templet with another DAW, without VEPro 5, without issue. But I much prefer to use DP 9, especially for my modest video-scoring projects. Obviously, the other DAW seems to handle CPU & memory intensive virtual instruments quite well. Again, I can not explain why it does. If only that other DAW had the type of organizational functionality that Digital Performer offers, which I use and have grown to enjoy!

An aside (and the reason why I'm actually writing this post). I've spent FIVE wonderful years in the city of Boston! I'm a Berklee alumni (graduated in 1982). Used to live on the Back Bay/Fens area. One apartment was only a few blocks away from Fenway Park. Of course, this was back when renting a 1 bedroom apartment was $350.00 per month! LOL! (I still needed a room-mate to afford the rent! LOL!) I hold LOTS of precious memories of my time in Boston. It is my favorite city, still!
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thanks Zuul. At this point, I'm pretty much sold on VE Pro.

Yeah, Boston is a cool city. I like it.

Mike
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

FWIW, I ran VEPro 4 when DP's 32 bit limit was constraining me. It worked OK however I found Vienna's tech support to be poor (one syncrosoft license usb gizmo died - email about replacement - crickets - nice).

When DP became 64 bit enabled I just started loading stuff into it directly. I never hit a limit/problem and so I pretty much abandoned VEPro.

I don't run big orchestral stuff though - that ain't rock n roll. :headbang:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.