There's a new "B3" in town

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

There's a new "B3" in town

Post by David Polich »

AIR instruments just released a new Hammond B3 VI - DB 33. If you have an iLok, you can download a 14-day trial for free.

But before you do...honestly, I just feel I have to warn my fellow Motunationers. DB 33 is without question the worst B3 VI I've ever heard. It sounds like a Magnus home organ run through a cheap fuzz box. No low end. Keyclick is totally wrong. Leslie fast speed is weak and wobbly sounding. This makes NI's "Vintage Organs" sound aweome by comparison.

I'm really surprised, because most of AIR's other products - Velvet, Strike, etc...are pretty good.
I guess no one there at AIR really understands what a Hammond is supposed to sound like.

For me, GSI (Genuine Soundware)'s VB3 is still the king of the B3 VI's. It's still 32-bit and likely always will be, but you can use 32 Lives to wrap it so it will work as 64-bit VI in DP.
Last edited by David Polich on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: There's a new "B3" in town

Post by James Steele »

My old B4II by NI is still working in 32 Lives (knock on wood!) :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I gave it a whirl and I do indeed prefer the ol' B4 through AT3 cab.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cbergm7210 wrote:I gave it a whirl and I do indeed prefer the ol' B4 through AT3 cab.
Is there that much of a difference between the AT3 cabinet and the one in B4II?
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

musicman691 wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:I gave it a whirl and I do indeed prefer the ol' B4 through AT3 cab.
Is there that much of a difference between the AT3 cabinet and the one in B4II?
Myself and others on this board have noted an improvement using the AT3 Leslie over the B4II's, definitely.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I gave up and bought a Hammond XK3C. Clearly, the market can't sustain a reliable B3 VI and I'm tired of worrying about it. Plus - real drawbars n switches n stuff. So...organ problem solved. I'm really starting to gravitate back to hardware for certain things just because of this kind of nonsense (OK, so the Kronos is a linux box at heart - but at least it remains supported and isolated from the Apple upgrade march).

I notice that VB3 v2 is available...inside a Crumar Mojo. Seems Gsi has joined forces with Crumar and gone into the hardware business (also has a neo-vent clone called Burn - another hardware box).
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

SixStringGeek wrote:I gave up and bought a Hammond XK3C. Clearly, the market can't sustain a reliable B3 VI and I'm tired of worrying about it. Plus - real drawbars n switches n stuff. So...organ problem solved.
I keep a Roland VK-8m around for the same reasons. I really like the different distortion choices on it too.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ANYTHING through the Ventilator sounds wonderful.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

cbergm7210 wrote:Myself and others on this board have noted an improvement using the AT3 Leslie over the B4II's, definitely.
While the SOUND of the AT3 cabs might be better, I like to speed up and slow down the rotor on a whim, and AT3s acceleration is RIDICULOUSLY slow and has no settings. Maybe it's more authentic (though I suspect that a real Leslie can be adjusted with some tinkering) but it completely kills it for what I do.

These days I'm often running B3s into a Marshall sim anyway, though, I end up leaning more towards a Jon Lord type of sound for the serious stuff I do. No rotor.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is PSP's L'Otary Leslie simulation. I've tried it and it's pretty decent and has all kinds of adjustments for speed and acceleration/deceleration. There's even a setting for the volume of rotor air noise. Like a real Leslie when mic'd up real close and the mic gain is turned up.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

musicman691 wrote:One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is PSP's L'Otary Leslie simulation. I've tried it and it's pretty decent and has all kinds of adjustments for speed and acceleration/deceleration. There's even a setting for the volume of rotor air noise. Like a real Leslie when mic'd up real close and the mic gain is turned up.
Yes, running the NI B4II through AT3, L'Otary or Melda mVintageRotary cab's provides one with a variety of options. Good stuff, mate. Thanks for reminding, MM691.

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Ran across these "naked" B4II presets...could come in handy for running through other cabs:

http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/produ ... ucts_id=94

burp182
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by burp182 »

Has anyone tried the Hammr+ B3 from Sound Dust in England? I stumbled across this on a deep dive into the Spitfire Audio website (under the "Extended Family" banner well down the products page) as part of the Dustbundle grouping. Went to the website and was quite impressed with what I heard in the video demo along with the extended capabilities they built into the instrument. You can get the Hammr+ by itself from their site for 30 pounds.

Most curious if anyone has tried it (or even heard of it before this). Not well advertised, to say the least. But watch the video and see what you think.
DP 7.24, Mac 2.8 8 core, 10GB RAM, 2 UAD-2 Quad, a massive pile of plug-ins and 3 slave PCs with VIs. VEP to connect everything.
BobK

Post by BobK »

burp182 wrote:Has anyone tried the Hammr+ B3 from Sound Dust in England? I stumbled across this on a deep dive into the Spitfire Audio website (under the "Extended Family" banner well down the products page) as part of the Dustbundle grouping. Went to the website and was quite impressed with what I heard in the video demo along with the extended capabilities they built into the instrument. You can get the Hammr+ by itself from their site for 30 pounds.

Most curious if anyone has tried it (or even heard of it before this). Not well advertised, to say the least. But watch the video and see what you think.
I picked it up a few years ago. I'm no B3 expert, and in fact I rarely use organ. But it sounds very good to me.

My previous favorite was Native Instruments B4 II (which I realize I could probably use with 32 Lives if I really wanted/needed to).
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

I still use NI B4 II as well with J-Bridge which has worked great with that and few other 32b plugins I still use and is a steal for $12 . I haven't tried the B4 with PSP's L'Otary Leslie yet so will have to try that out, as I do have it but have only used it on guitar so far and it sounds great with that.
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.