There's a new "B3" in town

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: There's a new "B3" in town

Post by musicman691 »

towerproductions wrote:I still use NI B4 II as well with J-Bridge which has worked great with that and few other 32b plugins I still use and is a steal for $12 . I haven't tried the B4 with PSP's L'Otary Leslie yet so will have to try that out, as I do have it but have only used it on guitar so far and it sounds great with that.
Is jbridge-Mac still beta? I have an aversion to running beta software.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:Is jbridge-Mac still beta? I have an aversion to running beta software.
Yes, I think it is.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

JBridge only runs VSTs and if there are Carbon/Cocoa issues, it is useless as I found out. OTOH, it was only $12.

32Lives is for AU plugins only. I think I use it for only one thing anymore but in the beginning, when a lot of AUs hadn't been upgraded yet, it was quite useful. It handles the Carbon/Cocoa issue well which was a pleasant surprise as that is the only way that the MDA plugin GUIs still work on a Mac.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

burp182 wrote:Has anyone tried the Hammr+ B3 from Sound Dust in England? I stumbled across this on a deep dive into the Spitfire Audio website (under the "Extended Family" banner well down the products page) as part of the Dustbundle grouping. Went to the website and was quite impressed with what I heard in the video demo along with the extended capabilities they built into the instrument. You can get the Hammr+ by itself from their site for 30 pounds.

Most curious if anyone has tried it (or even heard of it before this). Not well advertised, to say the least. But watch the video and see what you think.
I also have Sound Dust's "The Hammer". Its well-sampled
but you have to build your own chorus/vibrato from
the set of included LFO's, and the result isnt
great. And the Hammer is samples so when
you play chords you are piling samples on top of
samples, instead of triggering a modeled organ.
I havent used The Hammer in a long time.

Separate rotary plugins are nice (I have Melda's
Vintage Rotary and PSP's L'Otary) but you have to
put DP in multi-record and create a second MIDI
track for just the plugin, then record your organ
part and rotary track MIDI parts simultaneously.
Which sucks IMO. Much prefer an organ VI
with everything "built-in".

I have B4II, but I use GSI's VB3 (with 32 Lives)
for organ parts nowadays. VB3 sounds the closest
to a real B3/Leslie to me.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

U don't need two tracks. U just use a MIDI device group.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
musicman691

Re: There's a new

Post by musicman691 »

Dwetmaster wrote:U don't need two tracks. U just use a MIDI device group.
Who are you responding to? I'm confused :?
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

musicman691 wrote:
He's responding to my post about creating two MIDI tracks (one for the B3 VI, one for the Leslie
sim plug-in) if you want to run a B3 VI with a third-party Leslie plugin.

I honestly never think about MIDI device groups and have never used them. That may be a way to go
to accomplish this, but it kinda sounds like it takes the exact same amount of time to set up a
MIDI device group as it does to simply put DP in multi-record and create two MIDI tracks. Could be
wrong on that, of course..
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

David Polich wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
He's responding to my post about creating two MIDI tracks (one for the B3 VI, one for the Leslie
sim plug-in) if you want to run a B3 VI with a third-party Leslie plugin.

I honestly never think about MIDI device groups and have never used them. That may be a way to go
to accomplish this, but it kinda sounds like it takes the exact same amount of time to set up a
MIDI device group as it does to simply put DP in multi-record and create two MIDI tracks. Could be
wrong on that, of course..
I have MIDI Device Groups in one of my templates ready to go for B4II/AT3, B4II/Melda and B4II/Lotary organs. Makes them just another VI with one MIDI track at the ready.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cbergm7210 wrote: I have MIDI Device Groups in one of my templates ready to go for B4II/AT3, B4II/Melda and B4II/Lotary organs. Makes them just another VI with one MIDI track at the ready.
Coming from a live playing point of view why not just put the Leslie sim of choice on the same instrument track that's hosting B4II? That way you only need one MIDI stream. Of course if one is talking after the fact that's different.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

but I use GSI's VB3 (with 32 Lives) for organ parts nowadays. VB3 sounds the closest to a real B3/Leslie to me
That's my use for 32Lives, too. I bought the $125 combo to get both. Apparently, you can still do that.
http://www.soundradix.com/buy

I also use the samples from Retro Organs (now part of a new UVI suite at $83.50 from AudioDeluxe) but I use those as-is. Some of those samples are also found in MachFive.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=75

I have a number of rotary plugs including the PSP which is capable of some really goofy effects if used inappropriately as I like to do.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

musicman691 wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote: I have MIDI Device Groups in one of my templates ready to go for B4II/AT3, B4II/Melda and B4II/Lotary organs. Makes them just another VI with one MIDI track at the ready.
Coming from a live playing point of view why not just put the Leslie sim of choice on the same instrument track that's hosting B4II? That way you only need one MIDI stream. Of course if one is talking after the fact that's different.
Indeed you do. The MIDI Device Group is so you can control both the B4II and the Leslie on the same MIDI track. Notes for the organ and mod wheel for the Leslie.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

VB3 is still the one. I wish Guido would port it to 64bit, but I doubt he ever will as he seems to be focused on selling hardware now.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

dewdman42 wrote:VB3 is still the one. I wish Guido would port it to 64bit, but I doubt he ever will as he seems to be focused on selling hardware now.
You know, I can use B4II successfully with JBridge but VB3 does not show up in DP after converting it in JB. Is anyone using VB3 with JBridge in DP? The plug is in the newly created folder next to the B4II but no go in DP.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dewdman42 wrote:VB3 is still the one. I wish Guido would port it to 64bit, but I doubt he ever will as he seems to be focused on selling hardware now.
Been promising for how many years now?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cbergm7210 wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
Indeed you do. The MIDI Device Group is so you can control both the B4II and the Leslie on the same MIDI track. Notes for the organ and mod wheel for the Leslie.
I stand corrected.

For those using AT3's Leslie - what amp model do you use in AT3? I thought I saw Frampton using a Marshall head with his setup years back to drive the Leslie.