MIDI play on note click?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
magnumpraw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI play on note click?

Post by magnumpraw »

I have been working in DP after a bit of a hiatus and am using the MIDI editing window (piano roll). Everything plays back fine, but when I click a note in the MIDI editor nothing sounds. I seem to remember when I had used DP before that when you clicked and held a a note in the MIDI editor it would play.

Am I imagining things or is there a setting somewhere that turns that on/off?
DP 8.07
Apogee Symphony Thunderbolt
Mac Pro 2013 8 Core 64 GB RAM
mikeka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI play on note click?

Post by mikeka »

Turn on audible mode (the speaker in the transport window) and you'll hear MIDI notes when you click on them.
DP 8.07 64 bit, OS 10.10.5, Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.33ghz, 16GB ram, lots 'o plugs and VIs
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Another thing is if you are using a Virtual Instrument in DP, go to that instruments plug-in window, and go to the little mini-menu in the upper right corner, and select the item:

"Run this instance in realtime..." (or words to that effect).

That'll get it working.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:Another thing is if you are using a Virtual Instrument in DP, go to that instruments plug-in window, and go to the little mini-menu in the upper right corner, and select the item:

"Run this instance in realtime..." (or words to that effect).

That'll get it working.
Right... another quick way to do that if you're working in the MIDI track is temporarily record-enable the MIDI track. That, by necessity, will switch the VI to real-time mode if I recall correctly.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
magnumpraw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by magnumpraw »

Sorry for the lengthy delay in getting back. Audible mode did the trick. I appreciate the very quick replies with help.
DP 8.07
Apogee Symphony Thunderbolt
Mac Pro 2013 8 Core 64 GB RAM