Selection in Automation Lane only

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Selection in Automation Lane only

Post by massimosammi »

Hello,
Is there a way to make a selection in the automation lanes only? If I want to delete some CC data in a lane, I select it but then the notes get selected too automatically, is there a way to limit the selection to the lane?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bayswater

Re: Selection in Automation Lane only

Post by bayswater »

I believe you are seeing a bug that has been reported to and acknowledged by MOTU.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks bayswater.
jahjedi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jahjedi »

Hello everybody,

I'm curious if this issue/bug has been addressed by MOTU yet? I'm using the latest version of DP9 (mac OSX 10.11) and automation lanes was one of the most anticipated features for me as I've always found break-point editing of CC data very cumbersome in DP.

Despite the new lanes, I'm still being restricted to the awkward and time-consuming lasso tool if i want to edit automation data from one parameter/lane (e.g., tripan [X]) without those changes being automatically imposed on every other instantiated parameter/lane (e.g., taipan [Y]) for the relevant track.

I used automation all the time when I used to use PT many many years ago before the switch to DP (v5). In the old version of PT I used, you were given the same set of edit tools for automation as you'd use on soundbites which worked in the same way. This approach meant that if you selected and deleted CC data points using the I-beam swipe tool, the relevant soundbite in the corresponding selected region would not automatically be erased at the same time. I can't think of any reason this would be considered a useful default behaviour for automation editing - but maybe there is one that doesn't apply to my workflow.

I learnt about the view filter trick in DP8 but found that additional effort of toggling soundbite visibility an impractical burden - so have gotten into the habit of avoiding automation almost entirely.

After doing another search of this forum just now I found the tip that there's an option under the Edit>CCdata menu that allows only the current selected audio edit layer to be visible (a la my old PT). Maybe that's what I've been after all this time... but alas its not solving the problem for me. Does this relate to the bug referred to above?

Thanks kindly
James
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

jahjedi wrote:Hello everybody,

I'm curious if this issue/bug has been addressed by MOTU yet? I'm using the latest version of DP9 (mac OSX 10.11) and automation lanes was one of the most anticipated features for me as I've always found break-point editing of CC data very cumbersome in DP.

Despite the new lanes, I'm still being restricted to the awkward and time-consuming lasso tool if i want to edit automation data from one parameter/lane (e.g., tripan [X]) without those changes being automatically imposed on every other instantiated parameter/lane (e.g., taipan [Y]) for the relevant track.

I used automation all the time when I used to use PT many many years ago before the switch to DP (v5). In the old version of PT I used, you were given the same set of edit tools for automation as you'd use on soundbites which worked in the same way. This approach meant that if you selected and deleted CC data points using the I-beam swipe tool, the relevant soundbite in the corresponding selected region would not automatically be erased at the same time. I can't think of any reason this would be considered a useful default behaviour for automation editing - but maybe there is one that doesn't apply to my workflow.

I learnt about the view filter trick in DP8 but found that additional effort of toggling soundbite visibility an impractical burden - so have gotten into the habit of avoiding automation almost entirely.

After doing another search of this forum just now I found the tip that there's an option under the Edit>CCdata menu that allows only the current selected audio edit layer to be visible (a la my old PT). Maybe that's what I've been after all this time... but alas its not solving the problem for me. Does this relate to the bug referred to above?

Thanks kindly
James

I'm skimming posts, because I'm really short on time, so forgive me if I missed something, but have you checked your selection preferences? You can select Time Range, Events, or both, but you must specify if you want to limit to either of those three, the latter being a non-limitation by preference.

Go to Preferences / Tools and look at the top of the panel for the menu that offers you these three selection modes. Select BOTH, for most people's preferences.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jahjedi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jahjedi »

Thanks kindly Shoosh, I'll definitely have a look at those preference options in more depth. Just a quick look showed me I have both selected. I'll see if adjusting these options gives me the flexibility I'm after
Thanks again
James
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

jahjedi wrote:Thanks kindly Shoosh, I'll definitely have a look at those preference options in more depth. Just a quick look showed me I have both selected. I'll see if adjusting these options gives me the flexibility I'm after
Thanks again
James
If you have "both" selected, you should be ok on it. The problem you were having isn't related to this. It was just an idea, because sometimes having Range Selections Only can cause behaviors similar to what you were describing. That's all.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|