DP Sample Editor vs Recycle

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
IKKAKUJUU
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Sample Editor vs Recycle

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello,,
i want to use some external samplers like Akai and EMu,and from what i am told Recycle cuts and slices samples & then has a simple export to the Sampler function ....does this exist in DP ?....i haven't gotten around to exploring the sample editor yet in DP,,my time is so that i can only look into things a bit at a time and then i have to break off for sometimes months,,so forgive me the ignorance of my question if it is all obvious to yourself!.....
Basically can i do all the necessary for and with a hardware sampler within DP,,or should i from the start go with something like Recycle?....

PS...Mike H,,,if you read this,,,thanks for your answers previously on the 828's and FW bus,,,but did you see what i posted after?...you said,,only one FW bus at a time can supply bus power,,,but that is not what is happening for me!...MBP 4.1,it is giving me bus power through both FW plugs !...

Thanks for any advice re the above,,,
bayswater

Re: DP Sample Editor vs Recycle

Post by bayswater »

I don't recall the DP Waveform Editor being able to transfer samples to hardware samplers. DSP-Quattro does SDS transfers -- that's pretty slow if you have large samples.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

thanks so far,,,!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Back in the day, Bays, DP offered a "sampler bridge" via SCSI. I even used it once or twice IIRC in the late '90s.

It may have been an EMU-only option, but AFAIK, MOTU was the only company to have offered this.

IKKAKUJUU, I'm afraid the sampler import / export options are no longer there.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had Digidesign Sound Designer for the Atari. It did SCSI transfers to Kurzweil, EMU, etc. But it became possible with the samplers I had to just save the sample data to disk and read it into the sample from that. With these old hardware samplers, SCSI is probably the best way to go if you can get your hands on the right hardware.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Aah... of course, Digidesign.

When I scanned the other DAWs in my mind for the feature, I considered native, software-only products, Stoiv. I trained myself back in the '90s to not think of said company if I could help it after receiving an arranged demo, following which the price bombshell was dropped. As you might imagine, even the most basic system available was way out of my league price-wise - four tracks for 10 grand Aussie.

Obviously, being Digi and also not DAWs in the sense I think of them, I didn't consider Sound Designer™ or Sound Tools™. Besides, it'd be hugely impractical for the OP to piece one of these systems together, and I'd bet neither would support the later Akai and EIII and EIV units.

If there're still holes in this, please forgive me as I've only slept perhaps 5 hours in the past 7 days, and even then, that was more-or-less sitting up in a painful position... and by accident. I really shouldn't have posted as much as I have these past few days; the ol' brain's turned to mush, but as you'd understand, Stoivo, I love the company of good peeps.

EDIT: Still got my SCSI lead hangin' on the wall. It was hard enough to part with the EIV and Zip drive following my best friend's failure to pay back my life-savings loan to him. I lost $6300 in a day and then 75% of what I'd spent on the EMU setup, which was a lot 'cause I had the MIDI and output expansions. What a piece of kit that was. Best-sounding module I've owned, period.

The SCSI remains as a painful reminder of the ridiculously-horrendous road I've travelled in the name of makin' hittoons. Why I do this to myself, I don't know. It's bad enough being reminded of the loss of Nicky every Black Saturday anniversary, and on her birthday, and Sam's birthday, and on the 5th of August when he died... and so on.

You know, I think we artists, at least some of us, are just gluttons for punishment. I can hear you now: "Ya think?" :lol:

PS: Thank you for indulging me; as I said, I don't think I should be posting right now.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: I've only slept perhaps 5 hours in the past 7 days, and even then, that was more-or-less sitting up in a painful position... and by accident. I really shouldn't have posted as much as I have these past few days;.
It sure looked like you've been up with all the postings and the timing of them. You need a break from this stuff.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

monkey man wrote: You know, I think we artists, at least some of us, are just gluttons for punishment. I can hear you now: "Ya think?" :lol:
You can include the early days of playing MIDI guitar in that category as well. :boohoo:

On a loosely related note is MOTU's Wave Edit. See my avatar.
http://web.archive.org/web/199701131752 ... eEdit.html

I was using a MOTU MTPll, and Unisyn with a 75 MHZ PowerMac 7200. The Akai DR4D provided the audio. Wave Edit was installed and ready to go. Then I got sidetracked by graphic software.
End of story.

:arrow: Lights out!
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha ha! I can relate. So close.

That MOTU / Akai combination would've been powerful, man.

billf

Post by billf »

I haven't used Recycle since the OS9 days, but all of that should still work by assigning it as an External Waveform Editor in DP. From there it should be seamless to have DP automatically open Recycle when you wish to edit waveforms.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's been years since I checked this out, but IIRC, Recycle files were the lowest in quality of those mentioned, with Apple Loops a little better, and "pure" WAV, AIFF and what have you the best, being the most true representations of the original programme material.

billf

Post by billf »

MachFive might be of use in this scenario too if the OP has it.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Just checked in to see that,so thanks for all those reply's!....